The Traveler grew quite a bit. (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, December 21, 2017, 14:32 (2472 days ago)

We've talked about it before, and we know that Bungie has made the conscious decision to not really care about consistent scale when it comes to the Traveler.

I logged into Destiny 1 for a minute today, and I was immediately struck by how much smaller the Traveler looked from the Tower. So I took some comparison shots:

[image]

[image]

Did the skybox change for CoO?

by TheeChaos @, Thursday, December 21, 2017, 14:49 (2472 days ago) @ cheapLEY

We were talking about it last night, and I thought it looked different than before the expansion?

Did the skybox change for CoO?

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, December 21, 2017, 14:54 (2472 days ago) @ TheeChaos

I dunno, maybe. Seems like maybe there's more debris surround the Traveler now? But that could just be due to where that debris was when I took the pictures.

Here's a few I took all the way back in launch week. Not quite the same shot, but close. At night, unfortunately rather than during the day.

[image]

[image]

The Traveler grew quite a bit.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, December 21, 2017, 15:04 (2472 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Isn’t the new tower in a different place? Explains the size difference.

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Thursday, December 21, 2017, 15:08 (2472 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Isn’t the new tower in a different place? Explains the size difference.

The destroyed old tower is right next to the section of the wall currently being used as "the Tower." When looking at the traveler, the old tower is to your left.

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, December 21, 2017, 15:17 (2472 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yes, but not significantly.

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Friday, December 22, 2017, 06:18 (2471 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Schedonnardus, Friday, December 22, 2017, 06:22

but now you are down much lower than the old tower.

Need to replay the initial mission on a new character and get a screenshot from the old tower. I haven't started a 3rd yet on PC, so maybe i can do that soon.

Edit: that would also show the pre-exploded Traveler

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, December 22, 2017, 08:10 (2471 days ago) @ Schedonnardus

That doesn't really explain things, though. If anything, the Traveler looks bigger/closer in the newer shots. And it's not just the Traveler, it's everything. Those spires sticking up from the ground are slightly bigger.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, December 22, 2017, 09:46 (2471 days ago) @ stabbim

That doesn't really explain things, though. If anything, the Traveler looks bigger/closer in the newer shots. And it's not just the Traveler, it's everything. Those spires sticking up from the ground are slightly bigger.

Maybe we never left the simulation and we are actually in the past where we have younger and better eyes!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Friday, December 22, 2017, 13:06 (2471 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Maybe we never left the simulation and we are actually in the past where we have younger and better eyes!

[image]

I've checked it out. It's definitely way, way bigger, while not appearing to have moved closer. When you first start the game, the traveler is off in the distance, and it doesn't cover up the entire screen.
At the end of the game, it towers over everything, up into the atmosphere, and pieces of it hover what is clearly miles away from it, and yet it still sits directly above the inner city.

It could've been moved

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, December 21, 2017, 18:30 (2472 days ago) @ cheapLEY

However, it looked like it was moved away from the Tower, rather than towards it, so dunno...

The Traveler's heart grew 3 sizes that day.....

by Schedonnardus, Texas, Friday, December 22, 2017, 06:19 (2471 days ago) @ cheapLEY

[image]

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread