Random stats question (Destiny)

by FyreWulff, Friday, December 29, 2017, 09:32 (2362 days ago)

So, for the longest time, any stats program or site only had the stats for the people that used the site and told the site to download their stats. This made sense, as pulling the entire database down would have been against API/scrape limits and other sanity reasons.

At some point, certain sites apparently now have a feed to the entirety of the Destiny 1/2 dataset. When did this happen? Is it only certain blessed sites, or can anyone do this now? The statsdev community has weird politics that I didn't want to participate in so I dropped out way back in Reach's run, so I'm not going to ask any of them directly for answers.

Just something I noticed, and actually talked with Claude about a bit when I visited Seattle this year, but I totally forgot to bring it up here until now :p

API

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Saturday, December 30, 2017, 06:57 (2361 days ago) @ FyreWulff

At some point, certain sites apparently now have a feed to the entirety of the Destiny 1/2 dataset. When did this happen? Is it only certain blessed sites, or can anyone do this now? The statsdev community has weird politics that I didn't want to participate in so I dropped out way back in Reach's run, so I'm not going to ask any of them directly for answers.

I assume you're talking about sites like DestinyTracker, right? The Destiny API at Bungie.net has multiple endpoints that let you query public information, so my guess is that DTR and similar sites have an army of API polling workers that are just hammering Bungie.net for new data, and then they pull the data into their system and organize it in whatever ways are important to them. I cannot imagine that those sites are a low-cost endeavor.

Here's some API documentation if you'd like to check it out:

Documentation: https://bungie-net.github.io/multi/index.html
GitHub Project: https://github.com/Bungie-net/api

API

by RocketMoose, Sunday, December 31, 2017, 11:36 (2360 days ago) @ Beorn

I also recommend you give the stats community another shot. These days it is filled with a lot of nice folks who have been pretty helpful to one another.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread