How Cody plays PS4 (Destiny)

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Sunday, December 31, 2017, 11:30 (2360 days ago)

[image]

Couldn't resist :P

(thanks imgur)

How Cody plays PS4

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, December 31, 2017, 12:23 (2360 days ago) @ Revenant1988

This picture looks great doesn't it?

[image]

It's literally standard def.

I still maintain that on current screen sizes, 1080p is good enough. 4K just wastes resources that could be used to make the 1080p image look even better. There is a reason the Cineon file format - the format used for feature films where quality is super important - was standardized to 2K.

4K for home console is and always will be overkill unless you have Frank's 2000 inch TV.

You ever wish you had a "Ronut" ?

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Sunday, December 31, 2017, 13:06 (2360 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Pyromancy, Sunday, December 31, 2017, 13:10

unless you have Frank's 2000 inch TV.

DBO | Music of the Spheres has leaked

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, December 31, 2017, 14:09 (2360 days ago) @ Pyromancy

Wtf is a ronut?

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Monday, January 01, 2018, 20:49 (2358 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Pyromancy, Monday, January 01, 2018, 21:15

Wtf is a ronut?

It is a Rotunda in the shape of a Donut. It was a 122-ft superwide seamlessly curved video(and audio) installation Activision hosted for Bungie at E3 2013 .
It is not whatever weird and bizarre sex thing your sick mind decided it was.

I wonder what a past, fresh faced, Deej would tell a present, bearded & grizzled, Deej?

https://destiny.bungie.org/n/355

I had kind of a neat idea since MoTS leaked
How about a Music of The Spheres VR Experience? A virtualized "Ronut" you can enter to experience Music of The Spheres, letting you look around at the wrap around screen.
Or perhaps a journey through the Solar System accompanied by Music of The Spheres? (like Deep Space VR or Titan of Space VR)

How Cody plays PS4

by DEEP_NNN, Sunday, December 31, 2017, 13:44 (2360 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I still maintain that on current screen sizes, 1080p is good enough. 4K just wastes resources that could be used to make the 1080p image look even better. There is a reason the Cineon file format - the format used for feature films where quality is super important - was standardized to 2K.

4K for home console is and always will be overkill unless you have Frank's 2000 inch TV.

But, we all know 1080p on a monitor has many pixels per resolution unit. 4K gives us even more pixels. Everything is simply better, sharper and more colourful.

I doubt you don't know the visual difference between 1K and 4K. I'm guessing you're just shagging us.

Just in case you don't know, we can only tell you how great Destiny 2 is in 4K HDR. You'll have to join the club to know.

How Cody plays PS4

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, December 31, 2017, 13:55 (2360 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN

But, we all know 1080p on a monitor has many pixels per resolution unit. 4K gives us even more pixels. Everything is simply better, sharper and more colourful.

Lol. 4K doesn't make things more colorful. That is HDR, which can be used in 1080p. That pic I posted sure looks pretty colorful in standard def AND SDR even!

Sharper: I would rather have a better looking image (more lighting effects and shaders) than a small amount of extra sharpness.

This seems so easy to explain, but bear with me. Go play the original Quake, and crank it up to 4K. Looks like ass right? Now go play MGS 4 in 540p. Which looks better? The one with 1/16th the resolution? Huh. Weird. Maybe it's because the engine is doing cool things with the models, lighting, animation systems, and shaders. Things modern games could have more of if they spent the GPU power on those instead of on a 4K image.

How Cody plays PS4

by DEEP_NNN, Sunday, December 31, 2017, 15:19 (2360 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Lol. 4K doesn't make things more colorful. That is HDR, which can be used in 1080p. That pic I posted sure looks pretty colorful in standard def AND SDR even!

Sharper: I would rather have a better looking image (more lighting effects and shaders) than a small amount of extra sharpness.

This seems so easy to explain, but bear with me. Go play the original Quake, and crank it up to 4K. Looks like ass right? Now go play MGS 4 in 540p. Which looks better? The one with 1/16th the resolution? Huh. Weird. Maybe it's because the engine is doing cool things with the models, lighting, animation systems, and shaders. Things modern games could have more of if they spent the GPU power on those instead of on a 4K image.

Cody, stop the crap. Just wake up and get the gear before you're considered a dinosaur.

The additional colour in a new 4K UHD HDR TV is well utilized by HDR. OldK doesn't even have the bandwidth to show a more full colour spectrum.

2019 may be the last year for any appreciable 1080p TV production. Don't push 1080p as the holy grail when tech is clearly not going that way.

Let game and hardware developers to their jobs.

Also, would never play those games. Ever!

How Cody plays PS4

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, December 31, 2017, 15:56 (2360 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN
edited by Cody Miller, Sunday, December 31, 2017, 15:59

I am all for 4K in movies and TV. But not in games yet. You clearly don’t understand my position.

You have X amount of GPU power left over. Do you use it to render in 4K, or use it to make the image better?

How Cody plays PS4

by DEEP_NNN, Sunday, December 31, 2017, 16:39 (2360 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I am all for 4K in movies and TV. But not in games yet. You clearly don’t understand my position.

You have X amount of GPU power left over. Do you use it to render in 4K, or use it to make the image better?

Yeah, I do understand even though the alcohol is flowing. You're failing to see we are already to the place you're saying we shouldn't go. You're too late to stop the snowballs from rolling down hill.

Listen to the people who have the new gear. It's glorious. Not perfect but glorious anyway.

How Cody plays PS4

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, December 31, 2017, 17:03 (2360 days ago) @ DEEP_NNN
edited by Cody Miller, Sunday, December 31, 2017, 17:06

Yeah, I do understand even though the alcohol is flowing. You're failing to see we are already to the place you're saying we shouldn't go. You're too late to stop the snowballs from rolling down hill.

Listen to the people who have the new gear. It's glorious. Not perfect but glorious anyway.

You think I haven't seen games running in HDR in 4K? Sure it's great, but it would look better in 1080p if they kept the HDR and used the GPU for better things. There are plenty of HDR 1080p TVs out there, and even on a 4K TV it'll just upscale beautifully a 1080p render.

How Cody plays PS4

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, December 31, 2017, 17:22 (2359 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You think I haven't seen games running in HDR in 4K? Sure it's great, but it would look better in 1080p if they kept the HDR and used the GPU for better things. There are plenty of HDR 1080p TVs out there, and even on a 4K TV it'll just upscale beautifully a 1080p render.

I think it will be a moot point soon enough. There's a limit to how much resolution the human eye can detect, and then the power will be directed elsewhere. Right now it's a selling point that is easy to quantify, regardless of its true value. You seem to imply that only the resolution is what has been improved and that's not true.

How Cody plays PS4

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, December 31, 2017, 18:09 (2359 days ago) @ Kermit

I think it will be a moot point soon enough. There's a limit to how much resolution the human eye can detect, and then the power will be directed elsewhere. Right now it's a selling point that is easy to quantify, regardless of its true value. You seem to imply that only the resolution is what has been improved and that's not true.

No, of course other areas have improved. Consoles now are rendering 1080p, which is a hair below 2K. This was the standard for cinema for the longest time, and was seen on screens much bigger than anyone has at home. The jump from 2k to 4K in terms of resolution is minuscule on a TV. In terms of 'what can I do to make this image look better?' Increasing resolution beyond a certain point gives you the least return.

The jump from 480i to 1080p is huge, and absolutely beneficial even on small screens. That was an increase of more than 13x the number of pixels. 1080p to 4KUHD is 4x the number of pixels.

How Cody plays PS4

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, December 31, 2017, 19:35 (2359 days ago) @ Cody Miller

No, of course other areas have improved. Consoles now are rendering 1080p, which is a hair below 2K. This was the standard for cinema for the longest time, and was seen on screens much bigger than anyone has at home. The jump from 2k to 4K in terms of resolution is minuscule on a TV. In terms of 'what can I do to make this image look better?' Increasing resolution beyond a certain point gives you the least return.

The jump from 480i to 1080p is huge, and absolutely beneficial even on small screens. That was an increase of more than 13x the number of pixels. 1080p to 4KUHD is 4x the number of pixels.

You make valid points. It's why I roll my eyes at articles talking about the new HDMI standard supporting 8K.

Interestingly, Casey Niestat (one of the most successful vloggers) announced in his last entry that he was going back to 1080p for his vids. Something about better color.

How Cody plays PS4

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, December 31, 2017, 19:42 (2359 days ago) @ Kermit

You make valid points. It's why I roll my eyes at articles talking about the new HDMI standard supporting 8K.

It would be useful for projectors, and obviously VR applications. VR is one place where even 4K isn't good enough.

How Cody plays PS4

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, December 31, 2017, 19:52 (2359 days ago) @ Cody Miller

It would be useful for projectors, and obviously VR applications. VR is one place where even 4K isn't good enough.

Well, yeah, there is that. What is indistinguishable from reality--10K?

How Cody plays PS4

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, January 01, 2018, 12:19 (2359 days ago) @ Kermit

Well, yeah, there is that. What is indistinguishable from reality--10K?

Per eye.

How Cody plays PS4

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, December 31, 2017, 15:34 (2360 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The lighting and particle effects are precisely what Impressed me playing on the Xbox One X on a 4K OLED. I started a new character and the first mission and arcololgy strike in particular were stunning.

How Cody plays PS4

by Kahzgul, Sunday, December 31, 2017, 15:48 (2360 days ago) @ Kermit

The lighting and particle effects are precisely what Impressed me playing on the Xbox One X on a 4K OLED. I started a new character and the first mission and arcololgy strike in particular were stunning.

I'm with Cody here. That's not the 4k that makes the difference but the additional shaders and lighting effects. Destiny 2 on the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro might be the prettiest game that's ever been made. Don't need 4k to see that.

How Cody plays PS4

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Sunday, December 31, 2017, 16:00 (2360 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I'm with Cody here. That's not the 4k that makes the difference but the additional shaders and lighting effects. Destiny 2 on the Xbox One X and PS4 Pro might be the prettiest game that's ever been made. Don't need 4k to see that.

This argument is kinda going sideways between “how things could/should be better” vs “how things actually are”.

Theoretically speaking, I’m with Cody. I don’t believe 4K resolution is a worthwhile use of processor power. I’d rather see those teraflops put to use in other ways.

But practically speaking, playing Destiny 2 on my 55” 4K HDR screen on an Xbox One X is noticeably better looking than it does playing in 1080p through an Xbox One S, AND it runs smoother. So I may not agree with the direction hardware manufacturers are going, but there is still an improvement in the overall results (although I do tend to agree again with Cody that most of the difference is thanks to HDR and not screen res.)

How Cody plays PS4

by Kahzgul, Wednesday, January 10, 2018, 22:02 (2349 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

This argument is kinda going sideways between “how things could/should be better” vs “how things actually are”.

Theoretically speaking, I’m with Cody. I don’t believe 4K resolution is a worthwhile use of processor power. I’d rather see those teraflops put to use in other ways.

But practically speaking, playing Destiny 2 on my 55” 4K HDR screen on an Xbox One X is noticeably better looking than it does playing in 1080p through an Xbox One S, AND it runs smoother. So I may not agree with the direction hardware manufacturers are going, but there is still an improvement in the overall results (although I do tend to agree again with Cody that most of the difference is thanks to HDR and not screen res.)

I'd say it's not fair to compare the XB1X with the XB1S. Now if you would, in the interest of science, hook your XB1X up to a non-4k screen and compare to see how it looks vs. the 4k, that would be interesting to know the results of. I'm gonna guess that it's very nearly as good as long as you're sitting 5' or more away from the TV.

How Cody plays PS4

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Wednesday, January 10, 2018, 22:57 (2349 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I'd say it's not fair to compare the XB1X with the XB1S. Now if you would, in the interest of science, hook your XB1X up to a non-4k screen and compare to see how it looks vs. the 4k, that would be interesting to know the results of. I'm gonna guess that it's very nearly as good as long as you're sitting 5' or more away from the TV.

I did exactly that when I first got my Xbox One X, and the difference between it and my S on a 1080 screen was negligible. That’s actually why I got a 4K TV, because that’s what it takes to see an appreciable difference.

But that’s all kind of sideways to the point I was trying to make. I was saying that I agree with Cody that 4K is probably not the best use of resources. That putting that extra hoursepower towards better lighting, particle effects, animation budgets, frame rates, and stuff like that would all make a more drastic improvement than rendering at 4K does. But having said that, playing Destiny in 4K on an Xbox One X does actually look better than playing it in 1080 on a One X or a One S, so there is still a bit of a visual gain.

How Cody plays PS4

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, January 10, 2018, 22:58 (2349 days ago) @ Kahzgul

I kind of did that a bit. I ran PC Destiny 2 at 4K on my 1080p screen, and the only thing that I noticed was a bit of a grainy overlay on everything. Not film grain, but like a coating of dust on surfaces themselves. Otherwise it looked pretty much exactly the same.

720px2

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Monday, January 01, 2018, 07:38 (2359 days ago) @ Cody Miller

[image]

I literally agree with every word in this post.

Heck, I felt the same way about 720p, if I'm honest.

If the Xbox One had been able to drive two 720p displays for coop, replacing the split-screen mode that most games dropped, I'd have thought that was awesome.

How Cody plays PS4

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Monday, January 01, 2018, 09:57 (2359 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Uhhhh, no. I mean, in terms of composition, sure, but the image quality is horrible. The big problem is not the resolution; the compression artifacts are really terrible.

How Cody plays PS4

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, January 01, 2018, 12:21 (2359 days ago) @ Vortech

Uhhhh, no. I mean, in terms of composition, sure, but the image quality is horrible. The big problem is not the resolution; the compression artifacts are really terrible.

Case and point.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread