DBO meet-up photos from PAX (Destiny)

by Dame117 @, Missouri, Sunday, December 31, 2017, 20:22 (2359 days ago)

I still have a few hours till the 2017 is over, so I'm sharing a few photos of the community from the meetup at PAX West (Seattle) this year and also a spur of the moment pre-pax meet-up in Portland with a few DBO'ers.

Sorry in advance for the lack of quality of the photos and for for anyone caught at an awkward time... eating, mid speech, eyes closed, etc :)

I had a great time visiting old friends and making a bunch of new ones from this community.
Hope to see you next year

Here is a google album link:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/JwjxCZk6tBofEwBD2

That's awesome!

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, December 31, 2017, 21:13 (2359 days ago) @ Dame117

I'm jealous! Looks like a great time. I'll make it to one of these someday.

That's awesome!

by Dame117 @, Missouri, Sunday, December 31, 2017, 21:23 (2359 days ago) @ cheapLEY

It was fun. I hope you get to make it to one in 2018.

Doesn't hurt to start planning now if you can. :)
Hotels in Seattle can be crazy expensive and fill up fast around PAX, but you can often find great deals on VRBO for room rentals in residential houses. Thats what I did for part of my stay, it worked out great.

That's awesome!

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, January 01, 2018, 08:16 (2359 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I have a long-standing fantasy of organizing a midwest (the REAL midwest, not Ohio, LOL) event at some point. Problem is I need to figure out WHERE - my house is probably big enough with a few air mattresses, especially in the summer when we could use the porch, but I'm not confident that the ancient electrical system can handle that many consoles/TVs.

Although... I suppose it could be smaller than past events? Now I'm starting to wonder how many people would actually be willing to make it to Des Moines. :)

Midwest meetup

by Dame117 @, Missouri, Monday, January 01, 2018, 11:50 (2359 days ago) @ stabbim

Hi Stabbim

I would be interested in going :)
Des Moines is about a 6 to 6 1/2 hour drive from where I am staying in Missouri

Midwest meetup

by cheapLEY @, Monday, January 01, 2018, 12:25 (2359 days ago) @ Dame117

Hi Stabbim

I would be interested in going :)
Des Moines is about a 6 to 6 1/2 hour drive from where I am staying in Missouri

Wait, you're in Missouri? I'm in (or very near, actually) Columbia.

I'd also be interested, Stabbim. Des Moines is close enough to make a weekend trip, probably. I've got a lot of irons in the fire through the next year, but I can probably make something happen if it's going to be that close.

Midwest meetup

by Dame117 @, Missouri, Monday, January 01, 2018, 12:53 (2359 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I am out in the sticks, in a tiny town near Fort Leonard Wood.

I am not real familiar with Missouri yet (I am from the West Cost), so I had to look up where Columbia is. :)

I think I saw someone else here on DBO that is near Kansas City MO, but I don't recall who.

are you on XB1 or PS? If on Xbox feel free to friend me "Dame Untamed" :)

~Kim / "Dame"

Midwest meetup

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Monday, January 01, 2018, 15:30 (2359 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I'd also be interested, Stabbim. Des Moines is close enough to make a weekend trip, probably. I've got a lot of irons in the fire through the next year, but I can probably make something happen if it's going to be that close.

Well, so far we've got enough for a small fireteam. :P

Midwest meetup

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, January 01, 2018, 23:19 (2358 days ago) @ stabbim

I'd try to make it. Stabbim, meet Dame. You're both cool people.

Midwest meetup

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 06:11 (2358 days ago) @ stabbim

I'd be down. I could even grab Levi on my way!

(I'd even be willing to host. If Wichita would make a more suitable destination)

Sounds like fun!

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 12:32 (2357 days ago) @ breitzen

Des Moines (I assume we're talking about Iowa?) is only 3.5 hrs from Minneapolis, so that'd be easy for me!

(I'd even be willing to host. If Wichita would make a more suitable destination)

Wichita is 9.5 hrs away… so I'd rather go the Iowa route if there's a vote. :)

Sounds like fun!

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 13:53 (2357 days ago) @ Beorn

Huh. Somehow, I'd never picked up that you were that close. Greetings, fellow frozen person!

Like I said, the only potential issue for me is the electrical system. So there's 2 possibilities:

1. Throw caution to the wind and do something at my place. Theoretically cheaper, but maybe doomed to failure? Hard to say. I've never actually tripped a breaker here, but my lights flicker (well, at least the few remaining incandescents, which I'm hoping will burn out soon) when the coffee machine turns on. And I know the wiring is ancient, it doesn't even have grounding.

2. Rent something like bluerunner did for the LANbouree. I've never seriously looked into anything like that, but there must be something around here. This would probably result in asking everyone involved to chip in, but that's happened before.

Sounds like fun!

by Dame117 @, Missouri, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 18:30 (2356 days ago) @ stabbim

..So there's 2 possibilities:

1. Throw caution to the wind and do something at my place. Theoretically cheaper, but maybe doomed to failure?... ...the wiring is ancient, it doesn't even have grounding.

2. Rent something like bluerunner did for the LANbouree. I've never seriously looked into anything like that, but there must be something around here. This would probably result in asking everyone involved to chip in, but that's happened before.

I am happy to help look in to rental options in case we want to go that route. I have organized several events (for other gaming communities) in the past.. renting houses / cabins / a boat for 60+ people. You'll want to look at cancellation policies for sure (including how much of the deposit is refundable), just in case.

Sounds like fun!

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, January 04, 2018, 21:18 (2355 days ago) @ Dame117

I am happy to help look in to rental options in case we want to go that route. I have organized several events (for other gaming communities) in the past.. renting houses / cabins / a boat for 60+ people. You'll want to look at cancellation policies for sure (including how much of the deposit is refundable), just in case.

I might take you up on that when the time comes. If/when I actually commit, I'll put up a proper post to gauge interest.

Midwest meetup

by Dame117 @, Missouri, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 12:14 (2358 days ago) @ stabbim

Looks like that fire team just got upgraded to a RAID team :)

I'm semi-interested

by Pyromancy @, discovering fire every week, Thursday, January 04, 2018, 15:44 (2356 days ago) @ stabbim

- No text -

Gentle reminder

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Monday, January 01, 2018, 08:24 (2359 days ago) @ cheapLEY

For anyone who wishes they could go to an actual factual bungie.org event: the HBO Mountain Bash is in two weeks. https://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=142632

Email me at schoolyd at teamschoolyd dot org for details.

Imagine what you could become.

+1 - Gentle reminder

by Dame117 @, Missouri, Monday, January 01, 2018, 12:10 (2359 days ago) @ Schooly D

I'm dying a little inside that I can't make it to that.

These are great! Thanks!

by Claude Errera @, Monday, January 01, 2018, 10:36 (2359 days ago) @ Dame117

Now you're making me sad I didn't go down and see Robot, Rellekh, and Beard when you did. :)

These are great! Thanks!

by Dame117 @, Missouri, Monday, January 01, 2018, 12:07 (2359 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Aww, yeah you missed out on some good times there - but I am sure there will be more opportunities! A lot of that was last minute stuff, but hopefully in 2018 we can plan something a bit more in advance so others can come out too :)

If I can get out that way again in 2018 I would like to see who is interested in doing a waterfall weekend. See how many waterfalls we can get to that arent too strenuous of a hike.

These are great! Thanks!

by Robot Chickens, Monday, January 01, 2018, 16:21 (2358 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Now you're making me sad I didn't go down and see Robot, Rellekh, and Beard when you did. :)

We were sad we couldn't make the trip up. Next year. :-)

These are great! Thanks!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, January 01, 2018, 23:11 (2358 days ago) @ Claude Errera

The story behind the evil/nice picture was that I have a friend who expressed anxiety about me hanging out with strangers from the internet. I sent her two pictures--for the second I directed everyone to think about how they would murder me.

It was an awesome visit!

Thanks for posting, Dame.

These are great! Thanks!

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 06:40 (2358 days ago) @ Kermit

[image]

These are great! Thanks!

by Dame117 @, Missouri, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 12:12 (2357 days ago) @ Kermit

The story behind the evil/nice picture was that I have a friend who expressed anxiety about me hanging out with strangers from the internet. I sent her two pictures--for the second I directed everyone to think about how they would murder me.

:) Yeah, that was such a great idea Kermit.
I added that black & white version of the "murderous thoughts" photo because I felt it gave it an even more sinister appearance :)

DBO meet-up photos from PAX

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 06:15 (2358 days ago) @ Dame117

Man, I gotta remember that my face looks much better on the right side than the left. Also, who is that hobo in the man bun?

That's you, silly

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 12:38 (2357 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

- No text -

Why didn't someone tell me I look like that in captured form

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 13:03 (2357 days ago) @ Beorn

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread