2x1009 resolution (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 11:32 (2358 days ago)
edited by Cody Miller, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 11:37

In 2018 I'd like to change how I criticize games.

I'm really embarrassed sometimes looking at Star wars fans. This tweet hits it on the head. There's so much anger and toxicity over it, but I think it one has to stop and ask: just what can we actually get angry about?

I don't think going to see a bad film that didn't go the way you predicted justifies anger. I don't even think going to go see a BAD film justifies anger. The only time anger is justified is if your time was deliberately wasted or the movie is just a fuck you to the audience. Which… I can't think of very many off the top of my head.

There's some anger over Des2ny. Is some of it justified? Yes. You are right to be angry if the game purposely wastes your time or is intentionally made worse to exploit you. So get angry about that. Don't stop. This shit shouldn't be normal.

But everything else about the game does not deserve anger. The story does not. The campaign design does not. The loot does not. The lack of features does not. None of these things are good, but they are just failures. If you try and don't measure up, there's no shame.

Failures are fine. Fuck-yous are not.

I can be disappointed that Bungie has mishandled the story of Destiny and squandered a wonderful universe and lore. But I can't be angry. I can be disappointed it's an MMO and not an RPG. But I can't be angry. I can be disappointed Curse of Osiris was the worst DLC and retconned Osiris and Vance, etc. But I can't be angry.

But I can also only be disappointed so many times. Blizzard continually disappointed me… which is why I don't play their games anymore. But that's on me. I hear overwatch is popular.

What disappoints me the most is not learning from failures though. Bungie used to do that. Look at what Halo 3 learned from Halo 2. To be fair Des2ny learned a bit from Destiny. But it forgot a lot more.

And of course, a game doesn't have to be perfect to be a masterpiece. Vanquish it technically 'perfect', but Deus Ex while flawed is better.

So this year I will save anger for things that matter, and be more thoughtful in critiquing failures.

^Can we get this pinned?

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 12:00 (2358 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The only time anger is justified is if your time was deliberately wasted or the movie is just a fuck you to the audience. Which… I can't think of very many off the top of my head.

The Art of Mirrors
My Dinner With Andre
Stepbrothers
Drawing Restraint 9

... I think I've mentally blocked out some others.

^Can we get this pinned?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 12:25 (2358 days ago) @ Korny

The only time anger is justified is if your time was deliberately wasted or the movie is just a fuck you to the audience. Which… I can't think of very many off the top of my head.

The Art of Mirrors
My Dinner With Andre
Stepbrothers
Drawing Restraint 9

... I think I've mentally blocked out some others.

Empire (1964) by Andy Warhol.

^Can we get this pinned?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 13:57 (2358 days ago) @ Korny

Stepbrothers

Literally the worst movie I've ever seen, but is it really a "fuck you" to the audience? I feel like its target audience was seeking exactly what they got. I unfortunately suffered by proxy, but that's different. :)

^Can we get this pinned?

by TheeChaos @, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 15:37 (2358 days ago) @ stabbim

Stepbrothers

Literally the worst movie I've ever seen, but is it really a "fuck you" to the audience? I feel like its target audience was seeking exactly what they got. I unfortunately suffered by proxy, but that's different. :)

Really? Man that was one of those movies my friends and I still quote.

But I can see how some people done like it. I agree it is not an F you to the audience. You know within the first few minutes if you are going to enjoy it or not. If you sit through the remaining hour and a half movie, you should only be angry at yourself.

2x1009 resolution

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 12:30 (2358 days ago) @ Cody Miller

And of course, a game doesn't have to be perfect to be a masterpiece. Vanquish it technically 'perfect', but Deus Ex while flawed is better.

This isn't related to your post in any way, but this line reminded me that the latest Deus Ex is free on PS4 this month, so you can review that guilt-free. I kinda liked it.

Also Vanquish is bad.

2x1009 resolution

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 12:32 (2358 days ago) @ CyberKN

This isn't related to your post in any way, but this line reminded me that the latest Deus Ex is free on PS4 this month, so you can review that guilt-free. I kinda liked it.

Also Vanquish is bad.

Oh shit really? But why would I play Deus Ex on a console? These types of games just feel bad for some reason on a controller.

But just because I don’t pay for it doesn’t mean Sony doesn’t kickback to the devs per download. I’m going to have to decline unfortunately.

2x1009 resolution

by Coaxkez, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 12:49 (2358 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Coaxkez, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 12:54

You don't actually get angry every time you criticize this game, do you?

There's a difference between criticism and rage. That difference is often blurred in today's reactionary instant gratification culture (fueled by the rise of the Internet, the world's eternal soapbox), but merely criticizing something does not necessitate anger.

You usually make very good points, even when I do not agree with your assessment of the magnitude of the problem, so from my end it doesn't look like you need to change anything.

I'm mostly a lurker here, but you're one of the reasons I lurk. If nothing else, you make me think about things that wouldn't otherwise enter my sphere of awareness.

2x1009 resolution

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 13:33 (2358 days ago) @ Coaxkez

I'm mostly a lurker here, but you're one of the reasons I lurk. If nothing else, you make me think about things that wouldn't otherwise enter my sphere of awareness.

I've always meant to ask: are the Coaxkez who did the Halo 2 rap video? RIP Bea Arthur.

2x1009 resolution

by Coaxkez, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 14:19 (2358 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Sadly just a fan.

It was a name I chose purely to ask Marty what he thought of the beat.

+1

by TheeChaos @, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 15:38 (2358 days ago) @ Coaxkez

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread