Masterworks (Destiny)

by Phoenix_9286 @, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 11:51 (2358 days ago)

I feel like I'm missing the point, because I've gotten four or five, and sharded all of them, and have absolutely no interest at all in upgrading any of my guns to masterwork status, or chasing masterwork weapons down.

So, by upgrading a weapon to masterwork status, I get one random perk (whoohoo?), I generate orbs on multikills (yay? that's kind of useful i guess?), and the gun tells me how many people I've killed with it, either PvE or PvP (whoop di doo?).

The cost of doing these three extremely mediocre things is a pile of Shards I never have (I have 100 right now. This is the most I've had in probably the last six months, and it isn't like I spend them as fast as I get them.), and Cores that are rare as hell to come by.

Someone explain to me why I should care about this? Because I feel like everywhere I look it's "omg Masterwork" this and "omg Masterwork" that... and I just don't.

Also, on the back on the subject of Shards, I'm becoming increasingly irritated with how many shards vendors are asking for to either purchase or convert items. This might be a gross exaggeration on my part. When you on average only have 30 to 50 shards though, asking for 15 to 20 stings. I enjoyed having no grind and nothing to really chase, now I'm chasing and grinding for friggin shards as the game has seemingly decided I'm not fit to be swimming in the damn things.

Meanwhile glimmer is never an issue. Ever. I'm apparently an outside anomaly, but Destiny 2's economy is bullshit.

Masterworks

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 12:15 (2358 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

What do you do with all your shards?

I’ve spent over 900 at the Cryptarch trying to get more Masterwork cores. I spent until I was broke. I’m back up to over 250. I also dismantle weapons I don’t use, which means 90% of my drops get dismantled almost immediately.

Masterworks

by Phoenix_9286 @, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 13:33 (2358 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I’ve spent over 900 at the Cryptarch trying to get more Masterwork cores. I spent until I was broke. I’m back up to over 250. I also dismantle weapons I don’t use, which means 90% of my drops get dismantled almost immediately.

Honestly? Nothing.

This was a subject of discussion early last month. The long and short of it for me is thusly:

• I've dropped about 150hrs into the game since launch.
  • I don't raid, I haven't completed a nightfall, I don't play crucible. We run strikes maybe one evening a month for a few hours? They got old depressingly quickly.
  • I've visited and purchased from Xur five or six times, and that feels generous.
  • I'm quick to infuse and shard. My weapons and armor are fairly static and have been since about the time I started getting legendary drops.
  • I just dropped two and a half hours on Io doing the flashpoint. I walked away with two legendary drops and one exotic. This is not counting items I got from Asher for turning in tokens and resources, or items received after I returned to the tower.

Until recently, I considered having ~100 shards wealthy. Now I'm learning that I'm not just poor, I'm basically destitute. And I don't spend them on anything. I basically can't. It's all just infusion, and at 320 that isn't happening very often. I literally do not see the drop rates everyone else does. Granted, I'm playing maybe only 2/5ths of the game, but that should not be the sole reason I'm so broke. If it is, the economy is not well balanced. I will accept it should take someone playing only part of the game, as little as I do, far longer to rack up a sizable shard wallet than someone playing all parts of the game daily. I will not accept that as it stands I'll basically never see a return like that, but continue to run into paywalls I have to grind around.

Masterworks

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 13:37 (2358 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

Honestly? Nothing.

This was a subject of discussion early last month. The long and short of it for me is thusly:

• I've dropped about 150hrs into the game since launch.
  • I don't raid, I haven't completed a nightfall, I don't play crucible. We run strikes maybe one evening a month for a few hours? They got old depressingly quickly.
  • I've visited and purchased from Xur five or six times, and that feels generous.
  • I'm quick to infuse and shard. My weapons and armor are fairly static and have been since about the time I started getting legendary drops.
  • I just dropped two and a half hours on Io doing the flashpoint. I walked away with two legendary drops and one exotic. This is not counting items I got from Asher for turning in tokens and resources, or items received after I returned to the tower.

Until recently, I considered having ~100 shards wealthy. Now I'm learning that I'm not just poor, I'm basically destitute. And I don't spend them on anything. I basically can't. It's all just infusion, and at 320 that isn't happening very often. I literally do not see the drop rates everyone else does. Granted, I'm playing maybe only 2/5ths of the game, but that should not be the sole reason I'm so broke. If it is, the economy is not well balanced. I will accept it should take someone playing only part of the game, as little as I do, far longer to rack up a sizable shard wallet than someone playing all parts of the game daily. I will not accept that as it stands I'll basically never see a return like that, but continue to run into paywalls I have to grind around.

I basically do everything, not a lot of it, but I do a little bit of everything. I also use the boosts that increase drop rates as much as I can. I get a ton of legendaries. Like a ton. It helps that I shard a ton of rares -> gunsmith materies -> legendaries

So basically I get a ton of shards. However, for me, a "ton of shards" is roughly 300. I still infuse a lot of stuff and I buy stuff off of Xur when I can. So I'm a little more poor than normal.

Masterworks

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 13:46 (2358 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

My stats are almost identical to yours. 196 hours and I mostly do patrols/public events and flashpoints. I have never had a shortage of glimmer or shards. I also dismantle almost everything. With drops and token redemption, I'll probably get 3-5 purple engrams per hour.

So either I've figured out a super efficient method or you just dilly dally about.

I saw something* that said that connection speed has a lot to do with RNG. Maybe your ethernet port is dirty. Sometimes it's a good idea to clean out your xbox ethernet with a water pick so your RJ45 makes a good clean connection.

*nothing.

Masterworks

by Phoenix_9286 @, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 16:23 (2358 days ago) @ ManKitten

My stats are almost identical to yours. 196 hours and I mostly do patrols/public events and flashpoints. I have never had a shortage of glimmer or shards. I also dismantle almost everything. With drops and token redemption, I'll probably get 3-5 purple engrams per hour.

So either I've figured out a super efficient method or you just dilly dally about.

I won't deny it's a possibility, but it does seem incredibly unlikely that I'm wasting time when I'm usually bouncing between events constantly.

Are Patrols worth my time to do? They used to be, because it was actually something to do, but since D2 launched, I haven't even seen fit to even bother with them. There's always an event, or a priority target, or forces moving against each other, or mobs repopulating the area just as soon as I'm made one lap... Why pick up patrols?

On another note, a thought I had during dinner... Does Glimmer even serve a purpose anymore? Time was it was apparently THE currency. Everything seemed to circle around glimmer. In D2, no one even seems to friggin' take it, and thus I always seem to be loaded down with it. Everyone wants shards. Everyone. I can think of two exceptions. Tess, because flipping Eververse, and Banshee's mods (yay pointless!). Admittedly, Banshee serves as a sort of place to exchange glimmer to shards, provided RNG is nice and you get three of a kind. But even then, the exchange rate isn't great.

Masterworks

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 16:33 (2358 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

I won't deny it's a possibility, but it does seem incredibly unlikely that I'm wasting time when I'm usually bouncing between events constantly.

Are Patrols worth my time to do? They used to be, because it was actually something to do, but since D2 launched, I haven't even seen fit to even bother with them. There's always an event, or a priority target, or forces moving against each other, or mobs repopulating the area just as soon as I'm made one lap... Why pick up patrols?

On another note, a thought I had during dinner... Does Glimmer even serve a purpose anymore? Time was it was apparently THE currency. Everything seemed to circle around glimmer. In D2, no one even seems to friggin' take it, and thus I always seem to be loaded down with it. Everyone wants shards. Everyone. I can think of two exceptions. Tess, because flipping Eververse, and Banshee's mods (yay pointless!). Admittedly, Banshee serves as a sort of place to exchange glimmer to shards, provided RNG is nice and you get three of a kind. But even then, the exchange rate isn't great.

Another decent use of glimmer is Cayde's Stash maps. Buying all of them will cost you about 25k/week, but there's usually a purple or two in the haul (and sometimes an exotic). And there's generally some fun emblems you can't get any other way.

(It's not a SUPER-efficient use of glimmer - but it's a decent one, especially if you're full.)

Masterworks

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 16:35 (2358 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

Banshee is a great source of shards because it’s so easy to rank up your reputation with him. Every time you rank up, you get a legendary drop from him. So you can play literally any activity in the game, dismantle all the blue drops you get into weapon parts, then trade those to banshee and earn rep with him. If I jump online for a 2 hour play session, I’ll often rank up with banshee several times.

Masterworks

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 16:38 (2358 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

Because it’s another source of tokens, which you turn in for legendaries. Whenever I see a kill enemies or scavenge materials one I always just pick it up. They’re quick and easy to do while you’re just running around.

Masterworks

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 17:52 (2357 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

Are Patrols worth my time to do?

If you're farming, they aren't awesome for a standalone activity but in combination with public events, they provide some extra tokens and gear for an action you'll be doing anyway.

Here is what I often do, the activities usually overlap and can be completed in 20 or so minutes with enough tokens to turn in for a purple engram.

Priority 1: Focus on the daily challenges for each planet.
Priority 2: Public events.
Priority 3: Patrols
Constant lookout for chests and "minerals" (whatever they are called) I have ghost shells for each planet that highlight everything so I hit them pretty hard.

Usually in doing this, you'll pick up 1-3 purples along the way from a chest, public event, or world boss you stumble across.

Masterworks

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 02:07 (2357 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

In addition to information provided above:
Tokens are the bread and butter for having Legendary shards. 3/engram and I think you said you aggressively infuse but use a limited set of items? That's how I handle it. But I only infuse with legendary gear until I crest about 300 shards. I like to sit around that much at a minimum.

To that end, I have, by the app, enough tokens for approximately 84 destination engrams on me right now. Assuming half give me a double legendary drop, that is 378 if I break them all down. Not counting any exotics. So I always pick up Kill and Pick-Up patrols if they are available before I start a public event.

Masterworks

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 13:44 (2358 days ago) @ Phoenix_9286

So, by upgrading a weapon to masterwork status, I get one random perk (whoohoo?), I generate orbs on multikills (yay? that's kind of useful i guess?), and the gun tells me how many people I've killed with it, either PvE or PvP (whoop di doo?).

Yeah, that's basically it as far as I can tell. It is worth noting that the orbs are for you, not for teammates (I didn't realize this when I first heard about it - the written description doesn't really make it clear). So if it's on a gun you're using against mobs frequently, you will find yourself getting your super up more quickly.

The cost of doing these three extremely mediocre things is a pile of Shards I never have (I have 100 right now. This is the most I've had in probably the last six months, and it isn't like I spend them as fast as I get them.), and Cores that are rare as hell to come by.

FWIW, I've historically been in the same spot with shards. I think it's mostly just a function of how much you play, although I used to have some bad infusing habits that i think were eating up more shards than necessary.

Someone explain to me why I should care about this? Because I feel like everywhere I look it's "omg Masterwork" this and "omg Masterwork" that... and I just don't.

Can't do that, because I don't think it's something you should care about, at least not in the way you're implying. Try thinking of it as something that just happens occasionally, rather than something to chase. I love the sidearm The Last Dance, so when I found a Masterwork version, it was a nice bonus - I use that gun all the time anyway, so why not swap it out for the new one, right? But if I never had that, The Last Dance would still be good. So I'd never bother actually grinding for the upgrade. I just dismantle any Masterworks that aren't guns I would like anyway, and eventually if there comes a day where I have a pile of cores, I might upgrade a gun I'm using a lot anyway (this has happened precisely once, and that's fine with me).

Meanwhile glimmer is never an issue. Ever. I'm apparently an outside anomaly, but Destiny 2's economy is bullshit.

Ugh, if only. I always seem to be short on glimmer, except for right now - after running 3 characters through CoO story missions in the last couple of days, I have a lot more than usual. 80K-ish, I think.

Masterworks

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 14:31 (2358 days ago) @ stabbim

Yeah, that's basically it as far as I can tell. It is worth noting that the orbs are for you, not for teammates (I didn't realize this when I first heard about it - the written description doesn't really make it clear). So if it's on a gun you're using against mobs frequently, you will find yourself getting your super up more quickly.

The orbs are for you AND your teammates. (They're mini-orbs, though, like you'd get in D1 if you filled your super with orbs rather than kills.)

Masterworks

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 14:41 (2358 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Ah, my bad. I haven't played in a fireteam with anyone since making that discovery.

Masterworks

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 14:47 (2358 days ago) @ stabbim

Ah, my bad. I haven't played in a fireteam with anyone since making that discovery.

Well, that's sad. :(

(It doesn't even need to be your own fireteam, though - if you do a strike with 2 randoms, you can use their masterworks-generated orbs, and they can use yours. It's super-handy. Definitely the best feature of MW weapons.)

Masterworks

by Phoenix_9286 @, Tuesday, January 02, 2018, 16:15 (2358 days ago) @ stabbim

Can't do that, because I don't think it's something you should care about, at least not in the way you're implying. Try thinking of it as something that just happens occasionally, rather than something to chase. I love the sidearm The Last Dance, so when I found a Masterwork version, it was a nice bonus - I use that gun all the time anyway, so why not swap it out for the new one, right? But if I never had that, The Last Dance would still be good. So I'd never bother actually grinding for the upgrade. I just dismantle any Masterworks that aren't guns I would like anyway, and eventually if there comes a day where I have a pile of cores, I might upgrade a gun I'm using a lot anyway (this has happened precisely once, and that's fine with me).

Fair enough. Reinforcing my opinion that it isn't something I need care about is just as good as explaining to me why I should care about it. Making orbs is nice and all, but if that's the only perk I'd see any benefit from, forget about it. Not worth my time, and I'll just keep getting my supers the old fashioned way.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread