What D2 Mayhem has taught me (Destiny)

by Durandal, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 07:54 (2357 days ago)

So had a chance to play several games over the Holiday. Voidwalker novabomb spam aside, I think the issues with supers are still somewhat present from D1.

Hunters:

Ark Strider still suffers like blade dancer from the need to be close, slow speed, and minimal armor. Without any maneuvering bonuses and with less then stellar grenades, its very hard to get reliable kills. Players can still jump up in the air and avoid or confuse the ark strider targeting, and in mayhem the other supers can easily be deployed to shut down the ark strider super with minimal risk (with the exception of golden gun, which lacks any armor and has a long boot up).

Getting kills with ark strider was the most difficult by far of the three hunter classes.

Gunslingers:

Golden Gun is excellent, long ranged, and with the fix to the 6 shot variant capable of cleaning up a group. The downside is still the lack of armor, so it's useless close in.
Scatter mines seem to be the grenade of choice. Trip mines no longer killing are far less useful, and incendiary grenades are hard to hit with.

Nightstalker:

The king mayhem class, with constant invisibility and a long range super. Smoke bombs and void grenades can kill a weakened roaming super class, and the tether is an excellent shutdown super. This is the new anti-fun police build of D2.

Titans:

Strikers:

The best mayhem super. I spent a whole evening with Lion Rampant just boosting towards the other team and using fist of havok, and managed around 18-22 kills a match. It's brain dead easy. Extra armor on cast, near instant aoe damage, and hit hits people jumping above you. Lightning grenades and pulse grenades are both good options that I could leave lying around for people to walk into.

Sunbreakers:

Do you envy hunters, with their long range GG shots? This is a close second. Again pair with Lion Rampant and live out your AC 130 fantasies by hovering high above and raining explosive mortar fire below. Your grenades may not be very good, but you have high armor in super, enough to even trade with strikers on occasion, and the extra explosions are great. enemies will have to jump aloft to avoid you, and this is the only major drawback to the class.

Sentinels:

On paper, I had assumed this class would suffer like the Ark Strider, but the difference is that it has the ability to toss out the shields for a ranged attack, and shield themselves on the way in. The suppression grenade is hard to hit with but can be good when it does connect. On the whole it's the hardest of the three Titan classes to use in Mayhem, but is significantly easier then the Ark Strider to use.

Warlocks:

Dawnblade:
This one is fair to middling. The single target slow firing and the need to hover make it very vulnerable. You can out run a dawnblade, or counter with your own super most of the time. Likewise the grenades are not too great.

Stormcaller:

You need to use Ionic blink. Otherwise your asking to be shut down. Going landfall can get you the D1 striker feel, but that's about it. On the plus side you don't really need to aim nor get too close to the other team.

Voidwalker:

Blink + Slovabombs are probably the 2nd best mayhem combo. You have to think more about the positioning and setup to get multikills, but the secondary void bombs spawned plus the large blast radius are excellent. You have lots of exotics that pair with the class for added melee range, damage, or ability recharge, not that you need the latter in mayhem.
Guided novabombs seeking flying Dawnblade or Sunbreakers is classic fun. It also clears those teams that tend to camp in back rooms by a heavy spawn nicely.

Sidenote: D2 Mayhem made sniping fun again.

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 13:57 (2357 days ago) @ Durandal

- No text -

anti-fun build

by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 15:45 (2357 days ago) @ Durandal

I've been having a blast with the the Nightstalker Build in Mayhem. There is pure joy in ruining someone else's plans and that is what this is all about.

Requirements:

• Gemini Jester Pants
  • Quickfang Sword
  • MIDI for speed
  • Favorite Dance Emote for taunting

You really want to gear your armor towards speed. It's all about getting in and out of places quickly and confusing the enemy. The Jester Pants have the sweet perk of removing your enemy's radar and you go invisible when dodging. When using this, don't bother with your super. Use the crazy amount of heavy available to power your sword. Wait for someone to get close on your radar, dodge and watch as they frantically spin around looking for you. Throw poison at them, use your dance emote and then kill them with the sword. Use your super to kill anyone who shows up while your pants are charging.

Be prepared to receive hate mail.

But guys: The Colony

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 16:10 (2357 days ago) @ Durandal

Also, I disagree about your Titan Assessment (Striker/Breaker) but that is almost definitely due to very different play styles. When you get nearly 30 kills off 14 Hammer pops. So good.

Also, I think I haven't lost a fight to a Striker 1v1 in Mayhem since The Dawning started. Sometimes without even using my super.

Don't have it. And I'm sad about it

by Robot Chickens, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 16:41 (2357 days ago) @ Harmanimus

- No text -

What D2 Mayhem has taught me

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 17:49 (2357 days ago) @ Durandal

In D1, one of the only reasons I'd play Mayhem was to run void titan with Armamentarium so I could use dual suppression grenades. I would giggle every single time I robbed someone's super.

It was much less satisfying last week when I tried in D2 for the first time :/

damn warlock spam......

What D2 Mayhem has taught me

by Xenos @, Shores of Time, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 18:09 (2357 days ago) @ Durandal

Yeah I was just saying last night that Mayhem made me a better Nightstalker. Taught me a lot of tricks I think I'll be able to apply to regular crucible.

And as a side note: if you're not using Acrius in Mayhem you are seriously missing out. Nothing is more fun than shutting down a super with a ridiculously long range shotgun blast. Near constant invisibility and smoke grenades to bog down enemies makes it even more fun.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread