Kinect is dead. (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 11:36 (2357 days ago)

https://gizmodo.com/i-didn-t-think-the-microsoft-kinect-could-be-deader-bu-1821735151

It sucks because I really liked Kinect for Xbox One. They've repeatedly dumbed down what you could do by saying "Xbox," forcing you to switch to Cortana, which, because it has more commands (and is designed for the PC), is more likely to misunderstand commands or be called up accidentally.

I was particularly pissed when they stopped supporting "Xbox Select," which basically enabled to you do anything on the screen when your controller or remote was out of reach.

Bummer.

Kinect is dead.

by Coaxkez, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 11:50 (2357 days ago) @ Kermit

I'm in the camp that never saw the value of Kinect.

The technology itself is great, but it's how that technology is applied and utilized by developers that really determines its value, and Kinect had basically zero developer support outside of Microsoft.

Kinect is dead.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 12:03 (2357 days ago) @ Coaxkez

The technology itself is great, but it's how that technology is applied and utilized by developers that really determines its value, and Kinect had basically zero developer support outside of Microsoft.

Totally agree it wasn't utilized by developers. And part of that was blowback to the Xbox reveal, and the need to get the price down pronto, thus no longer guaranteeing that every Xbox user had one.

Voice commands worked, though. Pretty darn well at its peak functionality. Better than Cortana does for me.

Kinect is dead.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 12:35 (2357 days ago) @ Kermit

Totally agree it wasn't utilized by developers. And part of that was blowback to the Xbox reveal, and the need to get the price down pronto, thus no longer guaranteeing that every Xbox user had one.

Voice commands worked, though. Pretty darn well at its peak functionality. Better than Cortana does for me.

RIP. And FYI Kermit, you can still use the "Xbox" commands (although there are fewer than there use to be) if you disable Cortana: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-turn-cortana-xbox-one

Kinect is dead.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 13:20 (2357 days ago) @ breitzen

Yep, I disabled her almost immediately, as soon as I found out that she needed a bunch of processing time to parse speech. Capturing 30-second clips doesn't work too well when she takes 10 seconds to even start executing the command. The "XBox" command set might be more limited, but it's fast.

Kinect is dead.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 13:34 (2357 days ago) @ Kermit

I was particularly pissed when they stopped supporting "Xbox Select," which basically enabled to you do anything on the screen when your controller or remote was out of reach.

Wait, that's not a thing anymore? I guess I haven't tried it in a while, but I did use it occasionally.

The thing that really annoys me about this is that I've also just learned that the One S and X don't even have the port for it, apparently. So if I ever move to one of those consoles, I'll lose voice commands entirely, unless I want to leave my chat headset on all the time, which I definitely don't.

Kinect is dead.

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 13:40 (2357 days ago) @ stabbim

You can get a converter, but its like $30.

Kinect is dead.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 14:06 (2357 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Yeah, that's apparently the thing they just stopped making.

They'll probably float around on the used market for a while, of course, but eventually, if the number of people who have one hooked up to a newer generation box drops low enough, Microsoft might just stop including the Kinect software/drivers/whatever in the OS builds for those consoles. Maybe by that time MS will launch some Cortana home assistant device that can talk to your XBox.

Uh, about that... You might want to click on Kermit's link.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 14:06 (2357 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Also, dumb question.

If you say "Xbox, Record that", does that line get recorded too?

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 15:39 (2357 days ago) @ Korny

Also, dumb question.

Nope. neither does the UI when you hit the home button to do a screenshot or record

by cheapLEY @, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 16:24 (2356 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Also, dumb question.

Nope. neither does the UI when you hit the home button to do a screenshot or record

That’s my biggest issue with the PS4 capture functionality. I wish you could set it to just never record PS4 UI elements. I’ve taken so many shots that still have the “Screenshot Captured” pop up in the corner from the last shot I took. I always forget.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 18:15 (2356 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Also, dumb question.

To further clarify, the record functionality doesn't grab any audio other than the game, at all. No user voice, whether it be from from the Kinect or from a headset, would ever be ABLE to be accidentally included in a clip, because it's not even an option to record it in the first place (although you can add voiceover later in the video editor before sharing it).

This is both a good thing (because reasons above) and a bad thing, because obviously it would sometimes be fun to get either your own voice or the group chat as part of a clip. I'd prefer to have a configurable option.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, January 04, 2018, 06:29 (2356 days ago) @ stabbim

Also, dumb question.

To further clarify, the record functionality doesn't grab any audio other than the game, at all. No user voice, whether it be from from the Kinect or from a headset, would ever be ABLE to be accidentally included in a clip, because it's not even an option to record it in the first place (although you can add voiceover later in the video editor before sharing it).

This is both a good thing (because reasons above) and a bad thing, because obviously it would sometimes be fun to get either your own voice or the group chat as part of a clip. I'd prefer to have a configurable option.

Yeah, and this is just the basic XBox record functionality. I don't know how the new "mixer" stuff works, never messed with it.

Duh

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 13:43 (2357 days ago) @ Kermit

It takes more effort and time to use speech control than it does buttons.

Duh

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 14:34 (2357 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Now it does. I still remember the good old days when the Xbox One's UI was slow as hell.

Duh

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 14:40 (2357 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yes, but that's not necessarily the only factor.

Buttons are quick, but that method has its downsides. In some games, hitting the XBox guide button, even briefly, will also bring up the in-game menu and/or pause the game. using a voice command allows me to capture a clip without worrying about interrupting gameplay.

+1 this

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 15:22 (2357 days ago) @ stabbim

- No text -

I use various voice command systems all the time

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, January 04, 2018, 06:35 (2356 days ago) @ kidtsunami

While sitting at a computer? No
While holding my phone? No

Usually it's when I'm cooking, walking my dog, or doing something where my hands are busy, like trying to find some cover after a particularly amazing play on the flag.

"XBox Record That" was the killer feature for Kinect's voice functionality.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, January 04, 2018, 06:54 (2356 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I wish MS could/would show us a graph of how many times that one command has been used vs. all other commands. I bet the scale difference is enough that the others would be almost invisible.

by Anton P. Nym (aka Steve) ⌂ @, London, Ontario, Canada, Thursday, January 04, 2018, 11:07 (2356 days ago) @ kidtsunami

While sitting at a computer? No
While holding my phone? No

Usually it's when I'm cooking, walking my dog, or doing something where my hands are busy, like trying to find some cover after a particularly amazing play on the flag.

Yup. For vids and screencaps voice commands worked great and didn't require that I stop playing to execute. And voice controls for video playback (especially when washing the dishes!) is so handy I may never upgrade to the One X if it won't support Kinect.

-- Steve also finds it's excellent for Skype; Kinect is far better than any webcam he's tried.

Yeah, this.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, January 04, 2018, 06:30 (2356 days ago) @ stabbim

Yes, but that's not necessarily the only factor.

Buttons are quick, but that method has its downsides. In some games, hitting the XBox guide button, even briefly, will also bring up the in-game menu and/or pause the game. using a voice command allows me to capture a clip without worrying about interrupting gameplay.

Exactly this. Most of the records I do is because I'm in the middle of the game and I was like "that just happened!! Xbox record that awesomeness!"

Cortana made me give up on my Kinect

by unoudid @, Somewhere over the rainbow, Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 13:54 (2357 days ago) @ Kermit

I didn't use it a ton in the first place, but when Cortana was added by default I just unplugged the damn thing for good.

Good Riddance

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Wednesday, January 03, 2018, 14:58 (2357 days ago) @ Kermit

Since I was forced* to pay an extra $100 for my Kinect, can I turn it back in for credit towards a One X?

*A large man actually came to my house and threatened my family if I didn't purchase a mandatory Kinect box. I think his name was Terry, could have been Jerry. He yelled it at me a few times but it was through his teeth because he was chomping down pretty hard on a match. He yelled a lot of things at me, actually but I didn't understand them. At one point he got so angry that he took his giant arm and swept it across our living room cabinet sweeping everything onto the floor. We had a 90 lb boxer/mastiff at the time and he lunged at Terry. Terry just caught him by the face and angrily whispered "We ain't got no beef, pup, now git!" Our dog then just sat on the ground next to Terry looking at me like a chump. I even said to Terry "Jerry, we're about to have a kid, I can't spend this much money..." then he ran straight at me with flames shooting from his ears and I think I fainted. My next memory was playing Xbox Fitness and watching my legs glow and thinking "this is amazing technology!"

I'm just kidding. None of this happened.

The wife was sad.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, January 04, 2018, 06:34 (2356 days ago) @ Kermit

She can't do regular video games because she gets really bad motion sickness. However if she is up and playing Kinect games it doesn't really bother her. So really, kinect games are the only games we can really play together. Now there will be no more kinect games... Yeah, the voice commands are awesome but playing kinect games together was so much more fun. At least we can still play fruit ninja until I upgrade my Xbox.

Kinect is dead.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Saturday, January 06, 2018, 07:29 (2354 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by Vortech, Saturday, January 06, 2018, 07:50

Yeah. right after I got my XBONX for Christmas I found out the Kinect won't fit so I went to the Microsoft store to buy the adapter already kinda bugged I have to pay money to make my new super expensive for a console toy work. the the MS guy met me at the door of the store, and just said, "yeah we don't have that anymore. You can try to buy one on eBay but you'll probably get scammed out of hundreds of dollars." "you mean you don;t have it here or Microsoft stopped making it?" "They don't make it anymore." Didn't the Xbox X come out just a few weeks ago?" He shrugged.

I'm disappointed. I like the voice commands like other people, but also face-detect logins are useful for multi-person homes.

Kinect is dead.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, January 06, 2018, 07:46 (2354 days ago) @ Vortech

Yeah. right after I got my BBONX for Christmas I found out the Kinect won't fit so I went to the Microsoft store to buy the adapter already kinda bugged I have to pay money to make my new super expensive for a console toy work. the the MS guy met me at the door of the store, and just said, "yeah we don't have that anymore. You can try to boy one on eBay but you'll probably get scammed out of hundreds of dollars." "you mean you don;t have it here or Microsoft stopped making it?" "They don't make it anymore." Didn't;t the Xbox X come out just a few weeks ago?" He shrugged.

I'm disappointed. I like the voice commands like other people, but also face-detect logins are useful for multi-person homes.

Yep. I don't get why they stopped making the adapter. I bet that'll cost them at least a few XboneX sales.I went several weeks where I thought it was broken (the connections weren't properly seated) and I didn't realize how much I would miss the automatic sign in. I mainly use it to switch apps now. Once you get used to it, it feels so tedious not to have it. At it's peak functionality (and when they had it integrated with the Netflix UI) I could queue up an episode of Futurama as I sat down for dinner.

Sometimes I think companies should ignore the haters and stay true to their vision.

Kinect is dead.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Saturday, January 06, 2018, 08:29 (2354 days ago) @ Kermit

Yeah. right after I got my BBONX for Christmas I found out the Kinect won't fit so I went to the Microsoft store to buy the adapter already kinda bugged I have to pay money to make my new super expensive for a console toy work. the the MS guy met me at the door of the store, and just said, "yeah we don't have that anymore. You can try to boy one on eBay but you'll probably get scammed out of hundreds of dollars." "you mean you don;t have it here or Microsoft stopped making it?" "They don't make it anymore." Didn't;t the Xbox X come out just a few weeks ago?" He shrugged.

Yep. I don't get why they stopped making the adapter. I bet that'll cost them at least a few XboneX sales.I went several weeks where I thought it was broken (the connections weren't properly seated) and I didn't realize how much I would miss the automatic sign in. I mainly use it to switch apps now. Once you get used to it, it feels so tedious not to have it. At it's peak functionality (and when they had it integrated with the Netflix UI) I could queue up an episode of Futurama as I sat down for dinner.

Sometimes I think companies should ignore the haters and stay true to their vision.

A shame. My girlfriend was just asking if I have a Kinect, so she can play Just Dance. I do have one, but not the adaptor. I wonder if sales of the adaptor were just that slow, or if this is more of a mandated thing?

Kinect is dead.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Saturday, January 06, 2018, 11:38 (2354 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

I wonder if sales of the adaptor were just that slow, or if this is more of a mandated thing?

I imagine it's mandated by the fact that they've stopped making Kinect and therefore don't want to put resources into supporting it. That adapter was never going to make a noticeable amount of profit for MS by itself.

Kinect is dead.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, January 07, 2018, 13:42 (2353 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

A shame. My girlfriend was just asking if I have a Kinect, so she can play Just Dance. I do have one, but not the adaptor. I wonder if sales of the adaptor were just that slow, or if this is more of a mandated thing?

This is your opportunity to tell her you don’t have one, but you’ll take her dancing for real.

Kinect is dead.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, January 08, 2018, 06:38 (2352 days ago) @ Cody Miller

This is your opportunity to tell her you don’t have one, but you’ll take her dancing for real.

Or just have her dance and tell her that you will score her performance.

Kinect is dead.

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Monday, January 08, 2018, 08:29 (2352 days ago) @ Cody Miller

*CruelLEGACEY dances*

Kinect is dead.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, January 08, 2018, 08:45 (2352 days ago) @ Speedracer513

[image]

Kinect is dead. *CruelLEGACEY dances* +7

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, January 08, 2018, 12:26 (2352 days ago) @ Speedracer513

*CruelLEGACEY dances*

This post just won the internet for me this week.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, January 08, 2018, 12:47 (2352 days ago) @ dogcow

*CruelLEGACEY dances*

There seems to be a lot of nostalgia amongst my Destiny friends for the days when I couldn’t talk while I played, lol

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Monday, January 08, 2018, 12:48 (2352 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

*CruelLEGACEY dances*

There seems to be a lot of nostalgia amongst my Destiny friends for the days when I couldn’t talk while I played, lol

Yeah, I think it's a sign. Know your place Cruel!

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, January 08, 2018, 13:04 (2352 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

*CruelLEGACEY dances*

Yeah, I think it's a sign. Know your place Cruel!

“You know you play better when you don’t talk...”
- CyberKN (actual quote) XD

like an endless font of good feelings, that one is.

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Monday, January 08, 2018, 17:33 (2351 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

- No text -

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, January 08, 2018, 18:58 (2351 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

*CruelLEGACEY dances*

Remember that time during a flawless raider run, on the jumping platforms, you said into your mic "guardian down". I don't think any of us had heard your voice before. What?! Nooo who died!?!?! ohhhhh lol

Kinect is dead.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, January 08, 2018, 10:41 (2352 days ago) @ Cody Miller

[image]

This sucks. Yelling at my xbox was the best.

by Kahzgul, Monday, January 08, 2018, 14:24 (2352 days ago) @ Kermit

It quite literally saved my sanity right after we had our baby since I could be holding the baby and feeding him his bottle while asking the xbox to "turn on" and then "watch ESPN." Cortana does more, but she does it far more slowly, too. Though my wife likes telling her how sexy she is, which is a little bit hot, but a lot of bit weird.

The camera functionality is lame and poorly implemented in games, but holy crap please keep the room mic alive, microsoft!!!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread