Buy the new Star Wars movie on Blu-Ray. (Off-Topic)

by Funkmon @, Wednesday, March 21, 2018, 21:27 (2228 days ago)
edited by Funkmon, Wednesday, March 21, 2018, 21:30

Or rent it. It's got very interesting bonus features.

I know there's a subthread arguing about star wars below, but I want this to not be an argument thread.

I've never seen anything like it. Mark Hamill spends every second on screen trashing the plot, and passive agressively saying things like that he disavows the film and the character but it's not his character anyway so who cares. Other interviews with cast have similar thinly veiled attacks on the movie. This kind of stuff I never see on special features.

The director subtly, in the commentary, explains that he chose to do things because they were wrong. The scoundrel NOT having a heart of gold. Luke, the symbol of hope, becoming a hopeless old man. He says he structured the film like ESB, but with little things that were very NOT Star Wars, but making them Star Warsy.

He very much made it his own film, and put in references to Zork, 1970s British sitcoms, and shoved gags in.

I'm not sure I have ever seen special features both confirm everything the people who loved the movie loved, and everything the people who hated the movie hated, as intentional and designed to elicit that.

The director seemed to realize the things he did deliberately that felt wrong to many of us would do that, but that we would be pleasantly surprised at the result instead of being upset.

I like the movie, but think it's easily worse than the other films. However, the special features are astonishing. If you have a gripe about any part of the movie, I bet there's something in the special features that talks about why they did it, and vice versa to parts you loved.

There hasn't been a movie worth buying for the special features IMO since The Hobbit films, but this is one. And again, not for the quality or quantity (around 2.5 hours plus commentary), but to just see and hear what he was thinking and what the crew was doing. Amazing.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread