TTK changes (Destiny)

by Durandal, Friday, March 30, 2018, 09:26 (2374 days ago)

TTK, gameplay, and where Destiny should be.

There are lots of calls for reduced TTK in Destiny 2. Primarily, these are due to players perception that they cannot defeat a single opponent before intervention by an enemy teammate, nor can they overcome an enemy’s use of power ammo without power ammo of their own.

With the enhanced walking speed updates in 1.14, along with increased power ammo plus boosted jump speed for Titans and Warlocks, that perception has increased.

Is reducing TTK an easy, simple fix though? FPS games are complex, and it’s easy to make things worse from player perception just by toggling a few numbers. Lets start with some benchmarking. This is going to be best case, hit all your headshot type numbers. I couldn’t find any hard numbers on the Division or Warframe, but I attempted to estimate it from some of the Division 1.8 patch reviews of toughness. As for Warframe, it was too complex to back calculate based on the video for me.

Here are some other popular FPS games and their TTK numbers:
Game Optimum TTK Bullets To Kill
BF1 .27 -.5 s. 5
BF4 .27-.7 s 4-5
BF Ghosts .15-.3 3-5
Titanfall 1 .22-.3 4-5
Halo 5 .7-1.8 3-5
Overwatch 1-8 varies
PBUG .15-.5 2-6
D1 .5-1 2-4
D2 .83-1.3 4-6
The Division 1-2s estimated from video footage

So Destiny 1 and 2 definitely fall on the slower end of the FPS spectrum, but are not technically the slowest, with the Division, Halo and Overwatch falling on that end as well.

Now, players have noted that the faster walk and strafe speed have made things worse, in their opinion, in the Go Fast update. Why is that?

The TTK numbers above are best case scenarios. A player has to land the appropriate number of shots, including critical hits, with the best weapon and in the best range for that weapon. In addition, their opponent has to have the lowest number of hit points.

In some games, you can get gear that can essentially add health points, like in The Division and PBUG. The amount of health gained, and the resulting effect on DPS, differs drastically in game. In the Division, you can extend your health say by 25%, which has an equal effect on incoming DPS, but also causes a knock on effect in that doing so decreases your output damage, so other players will also have a higher TTK, even if they didn’t spec into more health.

PBUG, with it’s vest pickups, doesn’t have that tradeoff. It is a flat health buff with no downward pressure on your damage output.

Destiny also has a health/mobility/recovery tradeoff. For most of D2, the value of mobility has been minimal, so there was no reason to invest points in anything but health and recovery. This then pushed TTK numbers to the higher end of the possible range.

D2 also introduced something that D1 did not, and that is longer TTK on longer range weapons. In D1, your scout rifle had roughly the same TTK as an auto rifle, from .8-1 second. In D2, the scout rifle has a longer TTK then an auto rifle.

In D2, the difference between a zero toughness build, and a max toughness build is usually around .1~.3 seconds. For some weapons it is lower, as hand cannons and scouts have lots of wasted damage on their shots compared to the final round of a sub or auto rifle bullet. The main effect though is that a zero toughness D2 player can die at .8 seconds, where that is the mid to higher end of D1.

So lets look at this again. D2 has systems outside of weapon global TTK that can result in effectively lower TTK, by shifting points from health into movement speed or recovery. In theory, players should be able to play builds that are a pick 2 (tank, fast, recover) and use weapons that compliment that, such as scouts/HCs for a fast/recover build, subs/ARs for fast/tank, and probably pulse/sidearm for a tank/recover build.

Why don’t they do that? Well, the benefits for points in speed are still low. Even with the Go Fast update run speed and super speed are locked in. Using MIDA or a Lightweight perk weapon gives more benefit then points into speed for most players.

Likewise, the difference in recovery is shallow, so players can rely on a few points in recovery and toughness and not notice too much of an issue. With the added boost to jump speed on warlocks and Titans, the need for points in speed is even lower. Those builds can go full tank now, just like D1 with the skating, with no downside. From a game balance standpoint, that is not good.

Lets look at another factor. Hitting all your shots.
Subs, ARs and auto-sidearms are harder to hit headshots with, but missed shots/body shots are not very penalizing due to the high rate of fire. At the opposite end, Hand Cannons are absolutely brutal if you miss a single shot. Yet Hand Cannons exist at the same optimum ranges as some of the lowest TTK archetypes, and lower skill setups in the game. Unlike the ARs, you can’t spam shots outside of your range and do well with HCs, as the bullets are likely to miss, and they don’t disrupt enemy aim due to High caliber rounds or just a minor amount of finch due to the low frequency of incoming shots.

In addition, we have two other mechanisms at play, Bloom and Recoil. Both of these retard a weapon’s DPS to some extent, Boom by causing missed shots, and Recoil moving your aim to cause bodyshots or missed shots. A skilled player will compensate for bloom and recoil by controlling their aim point and pacing shots, both of which will negatively impact TTK even if the player is still hitting all their shots.

So Hand Cannons have by and large fallen by the wayside, less because of TTK and more because they hare far more difficult to use IN THEIR INTENDED SPACE, due to slow ROF, High Bloom, and high recoil, over other weapon types.

Now players can compensate for this somewhat with armor mods for handling and recoil, but these post a tradeoff against health, speed, recovery, and ability recharge times. So a player choosing to use a recoil mod should see a substantial uptick in their ability to land shots, and closer to optimum DPS despite Bloom and Recoil when using said mods. That has not been my impression so far in this game. Hand Cannons, with recoil mods, don’t seem to make much difference. High impact ARs like the Loquitor are controllable enough to do damage without them as well.

So players don’t feel the benefit of trading recoil mods for other, more beneficial ones.

A broad adjustment of TTK downwards will not address these issues. It would in all likelyhood encourage even more usage of Subs and ARs over other classes, with scouts being used as long range pseudo-snipers.

What should we do then?

We want to keep an increasing Risk as players approach one another. We want to encourage mechanisms that allow players to demonstrate skill. We want players to make meaningful choices in their character setup and customization that change how they play.

Rather then just adjust TTK directly, we need the following:

*Recoil mods that significantly reduce recoil for a weapon class moved to the weapon mods slot.
*Armor weapons handling mods should increase aim assist as well as weapon ready time.
*Higher recoil weapons have lower TTK in their archetype vs low recoil weapons.
*Run speed modified by a player’s speed attribute, slide distance increased greatly by a player’s speed attribute.
*better headshot damage on Hand Cannons and Scouts, shortening the optimum TTK but leaving the bodyshot TTK higher then Subs, ARs, and Pulses. HCs should be .8, Scouts .9 if you hit all your headshots and have the mods to control recoil over extra health.

TTK changes

by squidnh3, Friday, March 30, 2018, 09:52 (2374 days ago) @ Durandal

Powerful, versatile primaries are what should be the base of Destiny.

The strict range niches they have tried to enforce starting with The Taken King have been the cause of all the issues with PvP. This is made obvious by the fact that the meta weapons are always powerful and useful at multiple ranges (MIDA, pulses, MIDA again, Uriels, soon-to-be-Vigilance Wing). Encounters in Destiny occur at a variety of ranges in ways that are extremely difficult to control - you need to have at least one weapon that can deal with most of those encounters (except in the case of high-skill specialty builds, but those should be the exception enabled by combinations of perks).

When you have powerful, versatile primaries, you can have special 1-Hit-Kill weapons with abundant ammo that do have strict range niches or require skilled timing (shotguns, snipers and fusions). You can have player abilities on short timers (Supers, grenades, melee). You can have mid-match interstitials were everyone has a chance at ammo for very powerful weapons, and can try to keep it for a while, or deny the other team. Everything is so much easier to balance when players always have a good, solid fallback option.

This isn't a mystery. Destiny 1 Y1 accomplished it - all it needed was a few minor adjustments. Instead, for some reason Bungie decided to completely rework their initial foundation of powerful, versatile primaries, and it's been a struggle ever since.

Primary Complications.

by Harmanimus @, Friday, March 30, 2018, 10:21 (2374 days ago) @ squidnh3

I can definitely agree with the fact that Bungie did swing too far into narrowband primaries. And while Y1 was probably the most fun time for PvP in D1 in broad strokes, the primary meta was broken. Out ranging Scouts with a Hand Cannon was pretty easy. You do have to hit a balance between versatility and power. The acknowledgment of power weapons as having narrow use options (limited by range or skill factors) supports that. Pretty sure the flexible/fallback is the first reason why we now have Kinetic/Energy. Elemental Primaries feels secondary to that.

Definitely primary weapons need to have wider use options than we sometimes see. But the wider use you get the more you have to control their power level to keep other options competitive. I also think there are more ways to reinforce range bands and skill limits than just damage values. In the same regard a Hand Cannon probably shouldn’t be the best option and Scout ranges, a Sciut shouldn’t be really easy to use in Hand Cannon range. Both of these were issues in D1 at various points and to various degrees. (Personally I like, conceptually, that you manage shorter range weapons with accuracy and damage ranges and long range weapons with minimum aim assist ranges and other handling characteristics)

Scout Rifles

by squidnh3, Friday, March 30, 2018, 10:53 (2374 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Scout rifles have been a problem child since the beginning. Destiny 1 launched with some very large maps that had significantly longer ranges than any of the maps we are playing on today. Scouts worked great with those long ranges, but the de-emphasis of those maps really left scouts without a place in PvP. Really, the only thing that differentiates scouts from hand cannons is range (their damage patterns are the same), and when you get rid of the range then of course hand cannons are going to be the better option.

Really, when talking about powerful, versatile primaries, I guess I'm talking about the triumvirate of hand cannons, pulse rifles, and auto rifles. Their damage patterns are different enough that you use them in different ways, but they all should be useful at close-range to mid-to-long range. From that perspective, scout rifles become a specialty primary for large maps (if they ever return), or for specific keep-your-distance playstyles. Or you make them like MIDA. And of course they still hold a very important role in PvE.

Scout Rifles

by Harmanimus @, Friday, March 30, 2018, 11:54 (2374 days ago) @ squidnh3

I think it is disappointing to relegating Scouts out of the meta. There definitely seem to be fewer Scout-heavy sightlines, but I see them in D2 often enough. And it isn’t always MIDA. The biggest thing for me is that HCs, ARs, and PRs shouldn’t all be good at the same ranges. All of the weapons should have an Ease-of-Use-Bell-Curve. This should be overlapping waves, where ARs and PRs are more flexible but not as good as the more narrow focused HCs and SRs. Obviously this is a high level balance solution. The problem that D1 started with was that the bell curves were almost identical across all of the Primaries, and eventually moved to a point where almost none of the curves overlapped. I don’t want to see the core primaries from D1 just to get flattened out.

Now, I may be misunderstanding your intent with your comment. But I just wanted to make sure that i was clear on my feeling of opposition to all primaries being good/easy to use at all/most ranges.

Primary Complications.

by Durandal, Friday, March 30, 2018, 16:25 (2374 days ago) @ Harmanimus

I think you can manage the TTK for precision weapons to be nominally faster then automatics, especially given how you need to slow your shots from the max fire rate in order to compensate for bloom and recoil on those guns. As long as the body shot TTK is slower then automatics then it should be fairly balanced.

Scouts and HCs have the worst bloom and recoil in the game, and emphasizing that for hip fire makes them feel different from the hip fire guns like Atalanda-D.

The main issue for Scouts that I see is that they get outranged by auto rifles due to the latter not needing much aim assist to hit at range, and the damage fall off for autos not being sufficient to make scouts a clear winner. Auto Rifles and Submachine guns really need a net reduction in DPS at range right now. That would really offset things without any change to DPS.

TTK changes

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Friday, March 30, 2018, 10:33 (2374 days ago) @ Durandal

I’ve always been disappointed in the Resilience stat. I haven’t looked at the numbers in a while, but I remember there was some key value (4 or 5 I think it was) which would... let you survive a single extra body shot from the MIDA Multi-tool. My perception is that resilience might help you win or survive in edge cases in the Crucible, but that it is not really key to victory in most cases. Going from 0 to 10 resilience is basically not going to help you survive even one more more bullet for anything except auto rifles and smgs.

I sorta get why this is. If my Tanky Titan took 7 MIDA Multi-Tool headshots to kill but your Squishy Warlock took just 4... I’m gonna win a lot of battles even while missing a shot or two.

Similarly, Recovery to me is a nice to have, but not an essential in any of my builds. For the most part, I rarely recover so much faster that I win the next battle that I would have lost. And, even in the best circumstances, it only gets me back into battle what, a second faster at 10 vs 0? That’s almost never going to be enough time to matter.

For the most part, I think Destiny 2 plays fine, but it also does this odd thing where it teases at a greater level of complexity that doesn’t really actually exist. Maybe it shouldn’t exist since actually fast or tanky characters would upset the balance too much. But, at the same time, maybe Bungie needs to decide if they want that complexity and if so embrace it fully. Or they need to decide that in most Crucible modes everyone starts out with the same stats and stop pretending that Mobility, Resilience, and Recovery mean anything.

TTK changes

by Harmanimus @, Friday, March 30, 2018, 10:48 (2374 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Health is 70 (When your health turns red) and 116 shields at 0 Resiliency. 1-5 Resilience each give you 2 more pts to shields. 6-10 increas by 1 pt. Up to 201 at 10 Resilience. There have been a few damage hresholds, but for the most part I believe it was 5 was the “anti-MIDA” but all the numbers were in the 4-6 range.

TTK changes

by Harmanimus @, Friday, March 30, 2018, 10:34 (2374 days ago) @ Durandal

So you had me through most of that. That TTK and combat feel are tied to much more than just damage numbers and you hit a lot of great points. And I was with you, at least in part, on most of your solutions. But you lost me here:

*Run speed modified by a player’s speed attribute

I think the direct motivating factors to limiting sprint speeds are pretty apparent. It could be made clearer that mobility doesn’t impact sprint. But I don’t think that will help with the lack of Mobility use. The map design in PvP doesn’t support it, for one. Power ammo is on a timer, so getting there faster is a minor advantage. I don’t think starting with power on the map is a good option either. While faster sprint is tangible, the benefit in a fight is still from strafing (it doesn’t help flanking by much unless maybe you are solo queued, but even then I don’t have trouble eith low-or-no mobility in most flanking) and strafing is impacted by mobility. Totally down with longer slides, though.

As an alternative to run speed, I still vote that mobility impact handling and to a lesser degree reload. If your ready/aim/swap speeds were improved by mobility that is one more direct firefight benefit (currently where the cited Resilience value is, where most of the Recovery value is and why most builds are high Res/high Rec) then you would probably see a lot more varied and functional builds.

mobility and sprint

by Durandal, Friday, March 30, 2018, 16:18 (2374 days ago) @ Harmanimus

The point of adjusting run speed is that it makes the mobility stat more valuable, and thus makes it a more appealing offset to resilience and recovery.

My Titan typically runs with max resilience and mid level recovery, and yet I have no issue running a fast striker melee type play style with him, primarily using the FWC submachine gun and a pulse rifle for longer range engagements. I've also switched that out for a high impact scout rifle like Frontier Justice, which is one of the slowest TTK primaries in the game. I still win out over Mida and Autos if I make all my shots because the 10 resilience is enough to make up for the higher TTK.

On my Hunter, I have a 4/5 resilience and 8 in mobility. I move a bit faster but I must get the first shots in or I'm going to lose, and so that build I tend to run away far more frequently, ceding map control.

Changing run speed would allow my hunter to compensate for the inability to hold position vs. a tougher build with the ability to get into position first and get the first shot off, or flank with more reliability.

Right now, since both run the same speed I often choose more resilience builds on my gunslinger or nightstalker, since the mobility isn't a huge advantage compared to buying another second of life in an engagement.

mobility and sprint

by Harmanimus @, Friday, March 30, 2018, 16:37 (2374 days ago) @ Durandal

I doubt that even if they made it adjust sprint speed it would regularly be fast enough that you aren’t already better off doing some form of bounding retreat. And I don’t think that alone would be enough for most of the community to consider mobility valuable. Especially with the detriment to PvE activities (running strikes with speedrunners is already annoying enough) and that is messes with spawn balancing in PvP, I imagine weapon handling/reload stats are more reasonable and more feasible in the scheme.

Hell, if movility would lower the amount of momentum you lose from actions then even that would be more tactically beneficial to a slight increase in sprint speed at expense of Resilience or Recovery.

mobility and sprint

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, April 05, 2018, 07:12 (2368 days ago) @ Harmanimus

I doubt that even if they made it adjust sprint speed it would regularly be fast enough that you aren’t already better off doing some form of bounding retreat. And I don’t think that alone would be enough for most of the community to consider mobility valuable. Especially with the detriment to PvE activities (running strikes with speedrunners is already annoying enough) and that is messes with spawn balancing in PvP, I imagine weapon handling/reload stats are more reasonable and more feasible in the scheme.

Hell, if movility would lower the amount of momentum you lose from actions then even that would be more tactically beneficial to a slight increase in sprint speed at expense of Resilience or Recovery.

It would be interestin if each attribute increased certain abilities for guns like:
Mobility: Faster reload speed
Recovery: More ammo in clip
Resilience: More max carried ammo or swap speed

mobility and sprint

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, April 05, 2018, 15:38 (2368 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Give bonus reserve ammo to recovery and lowered flinch to resilience and I’d buy that for a dollar. I don’t think we need to make recovery extra-extra desireable with upping your magazine size with it.

Faster Sprint

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, April 05, 2018, 15:39 (2368 days ago) @ Harmanimus

So it would seem bungie considered faster sprinting but it was broken (in an actual sense) so Inretract some of my sentiment it wouldn’t work. I do still think that there are aspects of the game that would suffer, but that is mostly personal peeves.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread