Well, that was fun. (Destiny)

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, April 02, 2018, 18:02 (2232 days ago) @ Ragashingo

Show of hands, how many of you read all three articles / made it to the April Fool’s page? :p

Lore and Backstory has always been a big part of Bungie games, so I thought it’d be fun to demonstrate that by detailing a few levels from Oni. I wanted to do more, as some of the coolest lore is in the earlier levels, but there wasn’t time. Here’s a few of the cool things I skipped:

At some point in her training, Konoko experiences a Daodan spike and this happens:

CLASSIFIED - Clearance Gamma S16 and Above Only>
TCTFdl12\gpp\aL3 Personnel Performance Log\supplemental
During routine physical training Konoko experienced a drop in latency that precipitated a Daodan power spike.

Her strength, speed and endurance were temporarily improved to what can only be described as superhuman levels. She was able to perform at record-breaking capacity for over an hour and a half.

TCTFdl12\gpp\aL3 Personnel Performance Log\supplemental [cont]
While boosted, she demonstrated an uncharacteristic aggressiveness that frightened her instructors. She was asked to stop working out so we could monitor her but she refused.

When the spike subsided we expected her to be exhausted but she was not. In fact she was elated and insisted on starting her routine over from the beginning.

If Konoko's latency drops any more than it did during this incident we are concerned that she could become violent. All of her trainers are advised to keep VDG pistols on hand for the time being.

Or these pair of Consoles on the development of SLDs, which are an awesome fusion of advanced biotech and AI development:

HyBAC.sys2-res\data\proj\cA.MM01
The SLD project is an attempt to recreate human physiology with artificial materials.

This is similar to the cyborg implant protocols developed for the "Marionette" project but it calls for a design that uses no human cells.

SLD technology has reached it's third design generation and prototype SLDs are in use in a wide range of industries including law enforcement, fire fighting, manufacturing, and aviation.

At present, regulation SLD designs appear childlike. An "immature" body limits the androids' physical capabilities in the event of catastrophic failsafe collapse.

Troubling reports indicate that the Syndicate has been engaged in parallel SLD research to the mainstream development community.

Indeed, they may have completed fully functional SLDs intended for paramilitary purposes.

(ref.TANKER v1.6 - 1.9)

As our confidence in the core technology grows, the mainstream research community will continue to increase the size of the SLD units.

We are on course to create dolls with a 'fully mature' physiognomy within the next three to five years.

Data File: SLD - Simulated Life Doll

HyBAC.sys2-res\data\proj\cA.MM02
SLDs are individuals in many respects. Dolls are grown by implanting micromechanical fabrication cells in large molds containing a mass of materials we call "prototissue".

By varying the priming data input over the fourteen day molding process we are able to approximate genetic variation and the effects of environment on early life.

It is always a pleasure to see a new unit come out of the mold. We are never really sure what they will look like until they are ready for their first systems check.

One thing we still cannot do is create an artificial system that adequately simulates the processes of the human mind.

Instead SLDs contain a behavioral framework patterned on donor brain engram data fed into the system during its formation.

This core personality is then given a chance to develop a unique neurolattice while experiencing accelerated streaming sensory feeds.

Most SLDs have to spend at least three months in the senseloop, which we have come to think of as their psychological womb.

Plus, it was fun to relive just how cool of a game Oni was. I remember I first encountered it as a demo on a MacAddict Magazine CD and I played the heck out of it. I never know about the troubled development and only read maybe one article about the cut multiplayer. When I finally got the full game some time later I was awed that the level arrangement was different and far bigger than what was included in the demo! As much as I love Halo and Destiny, I can practically talk you through each level and room and fight of Oni.

Oh, one last console. I made a reference to the Deadly Brain Mai fought at the manufacturing plant. I’ve always loved the cool sci-fi / cyberpunk-ish nature of the way a Deadly Brain operates and can be confused:

ENCRYPT SEQUENCE TaL0315-68 seq. 3
Deadly Brain > Weaknesses
The greatest weakness of the Deadly Brain prototypes stems from their control interface.

Brains harvested from trained combat personnel come from a lifetime of interfacing with human physiology.

Deadly Brain > Weaknesses [cont]
Once integrated into the cybernetic system a barrage of alien data with no human frame of physical reference often overwhelms them.

Given time the host brain can adapt and begin to utilize its new physical state, but that delicate equilibrium is easily upset by ghost physical data input through the command consoles of the drone.

However approaching the command consoles of an active Deadly Brain is deemed virtually impossible, so this so-called flaw in the system is considered insignificant.

Finally, special thanks to Beorn for the OBO Oni theme, and all the help modifying and restoring the previous Bite-sized Backstory articles to give the impression that they’d always been about Oni. Big thanks to Xenos as well for the fun fake front page news article hinting at the existence of the other two articles.

We had a lot of fun putting this together and we hope you enjoyed it. :)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread