What if: Primary/Energy versions of snipers/shotguns? (Destiny)

by Durandal, Monday, April 23, 2018, 09:29 (2351 days ago)

Just an idle thought, what if we moved snipers and shotguns into the primary/energy space?

Obviously, they would need their damage and behavior changed to bring them in line with the other primary weapons, but this shouldn't be too hard of a change. We could even retain the archtypes in the "power" slot via "Anti-material rifles" and "Breaching Shotguns."

From a lore perspective, Fusion guns should be power/energy only.

From other FPS setups, snipers typically are OHK headshots, but have variants that are not, but have higher rates of fire.

If you could have snipers that didn't OHK, but had a 2 headshot kill, and took about .4 seconds per shot, would that be worth it?

Likewise, if you had shotguns that competed with sidearms/subs in the short range space, that were not OHKs, but had larger, low damage pellet spreads, would it be worth it.

What would be the impact to the game? Would everyone rock shotgun/sniper/rockets? Would reducing the power of those weapons away from OHKs make them not feel like you would expect?

What could you do to maintain the expected feel of the weapons without making them the premier loadout?

Conversely, what would you do the "Power" versions, if anything, now that they have counterparts in other slots?

What if: Primary/Energy versions of snipers/shotguns?

by bluerunner @, Music City, Monday, April 23, 2018, 09:44 (2351 days ago) @ Durandal

Conversely, what would you do the "Power" versions, if anything, now that they have counterparts in other slots?

Snipers - Single shot. Slower reload. Able to OHK on any part of the body. Penetrate though enemies. Only get 2 round per power ammo pack in crucible. In PvE they would be best against single high health targets.

Shotguns - All would be similar to Acrius. Low mag size and slower reload. Able to deal a ton of damage to a single target up close or spread decent damage to multiple targets at a short distance. Over penetration is left to exotics.

What if: Primary/Energy versions of snipers/shotguns?

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Monday, April 23, 2018, 12:11 (2350 days ago) @ bluerunner

Snipers - Single shot. Slower reload. Able to OHK on any part of the body. Penetrate though enemies. Only get 2 round per power ammo pack in crucible. In PvE they would be best against single high health targets.

Yes. I like everything about this idea.

Shotguns - All would be similar to Acrius. Low mag size and slower reload. Able to deal a ton of damage to a single target up close or spread decent damage to multiple targets at a short distance. Over penetration is left to exotics.

May I also add the option of shot. Currently we have (for lack of better space verbiage) buckshot shotguns.
What if we had:
1. Light Shotgun - Birdshot - light recoil, fast rate of fire, wide spread, light damage
2. Assault Shotgun - Buckshot - medium recoil, medium rate of fire, medium damage
3. Heavy shotgun - Slug - high recoil, slow rate of fire, heavy damage, OHK headshot

My biggest criticism of the "heavy" slot was the lack of heavy weapons, aside from rocket launchers. I miss the huge machine guns! Give us some proper heavy weapons! What about heavy grenade options with different abilities?

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread