Community Summit (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, April 23, 2018, 19:15 (2350 days ago)
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, April 23, 2018, 19:54

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8M7l5fX7lg

So Bungie had a bunch of 'content creators' and other community people over to talk about Destiny. From the sound of this video, it sounds like they are actually listening. That's good right?

I'm curious about this… because the sample of people invited sound like the last people I'd want determining Destiny's trajectory. "Content creators" obviously want a game that they can play for a long time so they can make money. But is that what will make the game actually better?

I feel like it may be a mistake unless they invited as well a bunch of people who have nothing to do with youtube / competitive crucible. I certainly don't think Datto would make the game better. At all.

Please take their suggestions with a grain of salt Bungie.

P.S. It is fascinating that they only seem to be able to give candid replies when the people they are speaking to are under NDA. Does this mean anything?

A "Scary" Thought

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, April 23, 2018, 20:16 (2350 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So Bungie had a bunch of 'content creators' and other community people over to talk about Destiny. From the sound of this video, it sounds like they are actually listening. That's good right?

I'm curious about this… because the sample of people invited sound like the last people I'd want determining Destiny's trajectory. "Content creators" obviously want a game that they can play for a long time so they can make money. But is that what will make the game actually better?

I feel like it may be a mistake unless they invited as well a bunch of people who have nothing to do with youtube / competitive crucible. I certainly don't think Datto would make the game better. At all.

Here is a scary thought for ya. Their thoughts on Destiny 2 are just as valid as yours are.

So yeah!

Suck on THAT one Mr. Cody Miller sir. ;P

A "Scary" Thought

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, April 23, 2018, 20:22 (2350 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Here is a scary thought for ya. Their thoughts on Destiny 2 are just as valid as yours are.

So yeah!

Conversely, the thoughts of 'casuals' are just as valid as theirs… so where are they represented at this summit?

A "Scary" Thought

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, April 23, 2018, 20:38 (2350 days ago) @ Cody Miller

So yeah!

Conversely, the thoughts of 'casuals' are just as valid as theirs… so where are they represented at this summit?

Many of the people who designed the "Casualization" of Destiny are still @ Bungie as far as I know. Furthermore they are already represented in game, hence why other types of fan no-doubt were brought in.

We'll see. "Try to please everyone and you please no one" comes to mind as well.

A "Scary" Thought

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 06:19 (2349 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

There are times I think your name is just a bit of fun.

And then there's now.

Alright. I'll bite.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 11:04 (2349 days ago) @ stabbim

There are times I think your name is just a bit of fun.

And then there's now.

What the 'ell does THAT mean!? ¬_¬

Alright. I'll bite.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 11:20 (2349 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I just thought it was kooky countering the idea that the things the streamers want could be detrimental with "well, they can have opinions too."

Yes, they can have opinions. That doesn't necessarily make them right.

Ah! I see.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 12:09 (2349 days ago) @ stabbim

I just thought it was kooky countering the idea that the things the streamers want could be detrimental with "well, they can have opinions too."

Yes, they can have opinions. That doesn't necessarily make them right.

Who's Right? Who's Wrong? (Music)

[image]

I'll explain in detail later on. I have things that require my attention right now. You are right on this thought though; My name is just a bit of fun. It's also true. ;D

Subtleties.

Spinfoil Hat Time | Right, Wrong, and Fear

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 17:46 (2349 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Alright. First things first. Let’s get the philosophy out of the way; I know that I know nothing. That said, speaking what I see with the eyes I’ve gained from both as a consumer and a guy who has rubbed elbows with those who make which we consume, what is happening RIGHT NOW is a build up – possibly – worthy of a political intrigue thriller. That’s some big picture stuff I see, which we will get to later, and that is where we can answer the small stuff.

Who, What, Where, Why

WHY did Bungie have a “Community Summit”? WHY did Bungie choose who they chose? WHERE is this data going to be applied? WHAT prompted this response? And ultimately… WHO is learning from all this? I can’t directly answer these, but I have a solid guess I think. In the immediate, the main thing I need to answer is… Why all this data matters regardless where it comes from? Why Dattos thoughts are just as valid as Codys or anyone else who plays Destiny # The Game.

Furthermore… How in the ‘ell am I going to explain this through the freek’n internet?

I apologize in advance if this is abit disjointed, as I’ve run out of string. (;P)

What is “fun”? What makes a game “good” or “bad”? What makes it satisfying to play or frustration inducing? What makes something “confusing” or “clear”? Oh so many abstracts and so little time. How many answers to those questions are there? Plus there is the considerations of who the audience is to be.

Games are hard. Have you seen the video by the GameDev of God of War? 5 YEARS of his life, all or nothing. That’s the problem with a number of these serialized games right now, it tends to add up to all or nothing. The weight of… expectation.

How could he have not “known” his game was good?!?!?! Right!? Why would that be I “wonder”?

So coming back to the topic at hand, at the core of it all games are made by game designer(s). As as an indie, you can do whatever the ‘ell you want. You can go “this is my/our game and if you don’t like it – whatever”. You get what you get. Yet these bigger games, these publisher funded games require a “higher standard”, so that more people play and there can be a return on investment. Thus what is often (your-results-may-very) done are tests and more tests. A far more scientific standard where all data is valid. It’s one thing to say “that will never work” but it’s another to test it. You can’t test it, if you can’t consider it. This isn’t about right or wrong, this is about solving a problem. That’s why you have GameDevs tearing up on the internet and that’s why Bungie did what they did this week. They need to see all ends or at least as much as they can muster. What transpired this week was a measured community brainstorm, in an environment where Bungle felt… safe to do so.

*Spinfoil Hat Intensifies*

Why would Bungie be scared?

Was this Datto just being hyperbolic or was Bungie really THAT candid? In my first viewing, I interpreted it as Bungie being that candid. E3 is about 7 weeks from now. Other then 1000 or so battle royal cash grabs, you know whats probably going to make a big showing? Anthem Anthem Anthem.

Anthem is slated to come out, as of this post, in Early 2019. It will make or break Bioware. This fall, by the sounds of things, Bungie needs a Metascore 85+ home run with their fall content... or else. This is their last chance to get as many players as they can basically unopposed.

So I have to wonder if this is ( and I presume it will be ) the Norm for this "generation" and if so how will Destiny stand out from it all? No doubt we will find out more in a few hours - to be continued this line of thought shall be.

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 20:46 (2349 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I'm not really getting how any of that means their suggestions are actually good. Again, no one was ever saying they're not allowed to have opinions, or even that Bungie shouldn't listen. I point you to this quote from the OP:

"Please take their suggestions with a grain of salt Bungie."

It's just suggesting that professional streamers' interests maybe don't 100% represent the best interests of everyone else. I'm sorry, but I'm still not buying that "well their opinions are OK too" is a counter to that. It's just a different statement which is also true.

FWIW, I believe Cory Barlog's reaction wasn't really about whether he *knew* his game was good. It was whether everyone else would appreciate it. That part is a total unknown until it actually goes out into the world.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 23:30 (2349 days ago) @ stabbim

I'm not really getting how any of that means their suggestions are actually good. Again, no one was ever saying they're not allowed to have opinions, or even that Bungie shouldn't listen. I point you to this quote from the OP:

"Please take their suggestions with a grain of salt Bungie."

It's just suggesting that professional streamers' interests maybe don't 100% represent the best interests of everyone else. I'm sorry, but I'm still not buying that "well their opinions are OK too" is a counter to that. It's just a different statement which is also true.

What transpired isn't about "Thing Good! UGG! Thing Bad! UGG!" This is about understanding, not deceleration. It's not that Bungie has no ideas, and if I was a betting man I'd say there was more to it.

Why was there "this" reaction? How do you feel about this idea? Oh! You don't like that, why is that? Oh these two feel it's OP, these three think it's useless. Hmm.

It's ALL relevant data.

What transpired is nothing new, short of we know about it being done BEFORE anything is made. Generally you can't say anything about what you see in till after the content launches. Even the most CLUELESS person is valuable.

Hence... Cody and Datto. ;P

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 11:26 (2348 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Activision can also cancel the contract for any reason they want after this Comet comes out (presumably in the fall). I don't think that's likely, but it's something they can do according to the contract.

by Claude Errera @, Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 11:41 (2348 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Activision can also cancel the contract for any reason they want after this Comet comes out (presumably in the fall). I don't think that's likely, but it's something they can do according to the contract.

You mean the contract that was leaked 4 years ago, and has been superceded at least once since then?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, April 25, 2018, 13:22 (2348 days ago) @ Claude Errera

You mean the contract that was leaked 4 years ago, and has been superceded at least once since then?

That portion has not effectively changed.

Community Summit Thoughts

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, April 23, 2018, 20:32 (2350 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The unspoken language in this is... absolutely stunning. I think the frustration is the lack of ability to speak, but I'm not sure. Welcome to the land of Game-Dev Datto. I hope you can enjoy the taste while you can.

Boy oh boy, If I could be a fly in the room on that scrum planning day.

P.S. It is fascinating that they only seem to be able to give candid replies when the people they are speaking to are under NDA. Does this mean anything?

Yes. Internet Gamers* on average are clueless entitled assholes. Like that ex from that person you know, but far far more fickle. Also largely faceless, with unlimited memory. Don't make a promise if you can't keep it, but with... *them*... you can't say ANYTHING until you ABSOLUTELY can. Many wish it wasn't like this, as love of the craft loves to be shared, but it is what it is.

I blame your mom, Cody. ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ

*Your results may very. Doritos® & Mountain Dew® not included.

I tend to share your concerns

by Beorn @, <End of Failed Timeline>, Monday, April 23, 2018, 20:39 (2350 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Disclosure: I've barely been paying attention to Destiny stuff the last few weeks. IRL and all.

That said, from the bits that have floated in off the ether have got me thinking, and I generally share your concerns, Cody. This whole summit thing seems kind of strange, and I wonder how much of this is spurred by Activision, and how much is Bungie.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, April 23, 2018, 20:44 (2350 days ago) @ Beorn

This whole summit thing seems kind of strange, and I wonder how much of this is spurred by Activision, and how much is Bungie.

[image]

Not quoting word for word, but the meatiest bit from the linked video for me was;

"If the Fall 2018 content doesn't succeed in a big way - Ho boy!"

To think... Bungie wanted to make it's own Starwars. Everyone is watching, and the success or failure will likely reverb into the industry in a big way.

We'll see what happens with Anthem too. Buckle up and bring popcorn for that.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, April 23, 2018, 22:14 (2350 days ago) @ Beorn

Disclosure: I've barely been paying attention to Destiny stuff the last few weeks. IRL and all.

That said, from the bits that have floated in off the ether have got me thinking, and I generally share your concerns, Cody. This whole summit thing seems kind of strange, and I wonder how much of this is spurred by Activision, and how much is Bungie.

This question may be unknowable really, but I'll ask it anyway… How much of a game's success, either in terms of sales or critical reception, is the result of the internet 'content creators'? It seems to me, Bungie is trying to get them on their side. It also seems like most of the 'creators' want very specific things for the game. Things which might be good for their 'business', but maybe not necessarily good for the game as a whole.

Datto starts the video saying he asked them 'What happened?", which implies that everything about Des2ny was a disaster. But from where I'm standing, so much improved. Some things were made worse, and a lot could be better still. But I just don't agree with calling it a complete misstep as many like him seem to say.

Destiny was very frustrating, often boring / mind numbing in between the fun parts. I experienced very little of that in Des2ny. To this day I have not done any grind, nor have I been required to in order to do what I wanted. I've killed Argos and RoboCalus without so much as a single minute spent in the grind. That is fantastic.

Yet I hear and everyone seems to want that back. Random rolls too. These things are easy to point at and blame, but they are not the root problem when it comes to Des2ny's shortfalls (in my opinion anyway).

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 06:24 (2349 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Yea some people seem to like the Grind. It's going to be hard to find a balance. Personally I hated it and Random rolls, as did many, thats why the opinions were voiced and it was changed. But people WANT that Carrot on a stick. Something to chase. If they can figure out how to do that, which I think the Nightfall rewards are a good start in that direction, then it can satisfy both. But as we all know, that is hard.

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 06:40 (2349 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Yea some people seem to like the Grind. It's going to be hard to find a balance. Personally I hated it and Random rolls, as did many, thats why the opinions were voiced and it was changed. But people WANT that Carrot on a stick. Something to chase. If they can figure out how to do that, which I think the Nightfall rewards are a good start in that direction, then it can satisfy both. But as we all know, that is hard.

The right amount of grind works for long-term streamers.

They want a grind that lasts them just long enough to achieve a certain number of specific goals between content drops, so that there's always something to do, but things never get repetitive enough to be boring.

Destiny 1 had too much.

Destiny 2 has too little.

I think that's the broadest outline that can be drawn with regard to Destiny streaming. D1 had lots of long-term streamers continuing to play while they loudly complained about the things they didn't like and simultaneously talking about how they criticized out of love.

Destiny 2 had long-term streamers complaining about having to switch to playing some Fortnite and losing viewers as a result.

I’m not too worried

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 05:10 (2350 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I’ve been spending a chunk of time on reddit over the past few days, absorbing as much of the feedback and commentary from the summit as I can. From what I can gather, the community members who attended the summit hold a diverse range of opinions with regards to many aspects of the game. In addition to that, many of those who attended polled their respective fan bases for questions/comments/concerns/opinions to bring with them to the summit. So at least some of them went in with the goal of representing their own communities, rather than just their own opinions.

Some of the people who attended the summit have created posts on reddit where they’ve detailed the feedback that they prepared ahead of time and brought with them to the summit. Going through several of those posts made me feel better about the kinds of opinions that went into this thing. I appreciated the super-detailed breakdown that Slayerage prepared (his subclass suggestions were particularly well thought out, IMO). Another community member went in with a whole document focusing exclusively on lore and storytelling.

Of course, there are the Dattos and such who were there. And while I’m not personally a big fan of his, it looks to me like the group who attended the summit was a fairly diverse group (granted, a group pulled from Destiny super-fans).

^ this is how I saw it too

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 06:21 (2349 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

There are PvE and PvP people. Yes they are "content creators" and want it to be a longevity game like the first one, but they also just want it to be streamable and youtubable so people will see their content. Most have moved on to other games and are doing well with those (most), so I don't think they are trying to make it the ONLY game they are playing, as they just want to be able to add it back to the rotation. But I think that diversity of "styles" and opinions will do well to represent 80-90% of the community.

As InsaneDrive was trying to point out, causals are what made this game the way it is. So including them in this current discussion most likely wouldn't have been helpful, as it is already very casual friendly (i.e.: i don't think clan rewards will be going away and that's good especially if they limit the pool).

To be honest, I wouldn't consider most of us casuals. When D1 was at it's height, I played just as much as I worked during the week. Granted I wasn't married, so it was a bit easier, but if I could, I would be playing it a ton still. I have moved over to Fortnite mostly myself, as it's a game I can play with friends, as other than during IB, not many of us or my IRL friends play D2. Now that may include some causals, but I think most of the casuals just need friends to play with.

I'm glad you posted this...

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 07:36 (2349 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

because otherwise I was going have to agree with Cody 100% and the thought of that makes me uncomfortable.

I’m not too worried about PvP

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 08:01 (2349 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY
edited by Cody Miller, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 08:04

It’s the PvE side that has me anxious about the future.

Ask yourself why grind specifically is being asked for. Not more things to do. Not harder things to do. But specifically grind.

I can’t help but feel like story is mostly a lost cause. The lore is fine. We need STORIES to tell. Since 2014 the lore has been excellent. The narratives not so much.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 08:56 (2349 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Ask yourself why grind specifically is being asked for. Not more things to do. Not harder things to do. But specifically grind.

I can’t help but feel like story is mostly a lost cause. The lore is fine. We need STORIES to tell. Since 2014 the lore has been excellent. The narratives not so much.

This might just be a terminology or mindset that only I use but I see a difference in farming and grinding.

In D1 I would regularly, almost daily, pick up bounties and go knock them out, collect planet resources and work on powering up weapons and armor. Everything that I was doing was actively and gradually making a difference and improvement. When I was done, I felt I had accomplished something, had fun and looked forward to playing the next day. That is farming.

In D2, I've completed the story missions and have no reason to replay them. I've collected all of the weapons and armors, all exotics, there is nothing new left for me to collect or earn. But, I've still been playing with my hunter because, during the campaign I didn't know that Quickfang was hunter exclusive, and locked to a story mission...but at some point go the impression that it could drop from Banshee or Shaxx, so I still play in hopes of getting Quickfang...but nothing. This is not particularly fun. This is grinding.

Side note, I've never created a Titan so have started a new campaign over the weekend and it's been fun.

definitions of grinding/farming

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 14:32 (2349 days ago) @ ManKitten

This might just be a terminology or mindset that only I use but I see a difference in farming and grinding.

In D1 I would regularly, almost daily, pick up bounties and go knock them out, collect planet resources and work on powering up weapons and armor. Everything that I was doing was actively and gradually making a difference and improvement. When I was done, I felt I had accomplished something, had fun and looked forward to playing the next day. That is farming.

In D2, I've completed the story missions and have no reason to replay them. I've collected all of the weapons and armors, all exotics, there is nothing new left for me to collect or earn. But, I've still been playing with my hunter because, during the campaign I didn't know that Quickfang was hunter exclusive, and locked to a story mission...but at some point go the impression that it could drop from Banshee or Shaxx, so I still play in hopes of getting Quickfang...but nothing. This is not particularly fun. This is grinding.

Side note, I've never created a Titan so have started a new campaign over the weekend and it's been fun.

I'd still argue that your definition of grinding could use some work. My quick definitions are:
1. Farming - the repetitive collection of something
2. Grinding - the repetitive performing of an activity to achieve a reward whether through RNG or collection of something

Not sure why you used a story where you were grinding by mistake (there's an interesting point to be made there that it's confusing for people who don't read online guides to figure out what they have to do for certain rewards), rather than something like the Tractor Cannon, I don't have it currently and the ways I can get it are from are an engram (grinding) or from Xur (farming legendary shards).

I'm not a fan of farming OR grinding, and have appreciated fewer instances of both in D2. I'm mostly OK with the location token farming as I have never felt driven to artificially farm them, I just get them for doing cool things I enjoy.

by ManKitten, The Stugotz is strong in me., Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 14:41 (2349 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I'd still argue that your definition of grinding could use some work. My quick definitions are:
2. Grinding - the repetitive performing of an activity to achieve a reward whether through RNG or collection of something

Not sure why you used a story where you were grinding by mistake (there's an interesting point to be made there that it's confusing for people who don't read online guides to figure out what they have to do for certain rewards), rather than something like the Tractor Cannon, I don't have it currently and the ways I can get it are from are an engram (grinding) or from Xur (farming legendary shards).

I'm not a fan of farming OR grinding, and have appreciated fewer instances of both in D2. I'm mostly OK with the location token farming as I have never felt driven to artificially farm them, I just get them for doing cool things I enjoy.

I guess I see farming as enjoyable and grinding as not. Both are pretty much the same activity, it's just how you perceive it.

Also, I have no idea how to get a Quickfang but I also don't care that much either. :P

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 14:56 (2349 days ago) @ kidtsunami

That still doesn't quite get there for me. I always saw farming as just repeating an activity to get the rewards or materials.

Grinding has a more negative connotation, in that it's required for progression. Destiny 1 forced you to repeat activities to get your light level up so you could move on to the next thing.

I think farming is fine. Farming is what they're ideally looking for, I think. Repeating all the end game activities to collect all the rewards. The problem comes when they put the cart before the horse and make you repeat a bunch of activities just to make your number get bigger so you can even start the raid. I still think they're tied way too much to the power level thing and the way they use that to gate content. Ideally all activities would have cool gear with interesting perks. That's the biggest bummer for me when they talked about the progression stuff last week--it was entirely focused on how the numbers get bigger. I don't know about anyone else, but that shit is fucking boring. It's literally the least interesting way to handle progression.

I don't think anyone was concerned about how long it takes to get light level up (or very many people, because this is the internet--of course someone was). No one is asking for raiding or whatever activity you like to be the necessary thing to level up--they just want cool gear with cool perks to make it feel rewarding. Making my number go up isn't rewarding, getting cool stuff is.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 18:32 (2349 days ago) @ cheapLEY

That still doesn't quite get there for me. I always saw farming as just repeating an activity to get the rewards or materials.

Grinding has a more negative connotation, in that it's required for progression. Destiny 1 forced you to repeat activities to get your light level up so you could move on to the next thing.

I think farming is fine. Farming is what they're ideally looking for, I think. Repeating all the end game activities to collect all the rewards. The problem comes when they put the cart before the horse and make you repeat a bunch of activities just to make your number get bigger so you can even start the raid. I still think they're tied way too much to the power level thing and the way they use that to gate content. Ideally all activities would have cool gear with interesting perks. That's the biggest bummer for me when they talked about the progression stuff last week--it was entirely focused on how the numbers get bigger. I don't know about anyone else, but that shit is fucking boring. It's literally the least interesting way to handle progression.

I don't think anyone was concerned about how long it takes to get light level up (or very many people, because this is the internet--of course someone was). No one is asking for raiding or whatever activity you like to be the necessary thing to level up--they just want cool gear with cool perks to make it feel rewarding. Making my number go up isn't rewarding, getting cool stuff is.

Yeah I think I fall more in your camp of things. Numbers getting bigger? ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, having accomplished something cool and have something to show for it?

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, April 24, 2018, 19:18 (2349 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The “grind” isn’t what’s being directly asked for... not by everyone. Or more specifically, when you read the feedback that was prepared by some of the community members who went to the summit, you’ll see “grind” being used in plenty of different ways.

Mostly, what I’m seeing is a desire to add incentives to keep playing. Make the weapons exciting to get and fun to use again. Make rewards for truly difficult content special and meaningful again. Make our guardians feel more powerful and our subclasses feel more distinct.

What I haven’t seen is anyone asking for Bungie to return to the old D1 system of grinding for weeks on end, far beyond what the content justifies, just to reach the end game.

Of course, there’s potentially a big gap between what the fans at the summit were asking for, and what Bungie will deliver.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread