Very excited, slightly underwhelmed, yet really happy!

by Avateur @, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 17:58 (4057 days ago)
edited by Avateur, Sunday, February 17, 2013, 18:10

I'm quite pleased with everything I've seen and heard up to this point. Bungie is being very ambitious and it looks like this world (system? universe?) is going to be massive. I'm having a really hard time containing my excitement over the concept, and while I'm fully aware that this Destiny "reveal" is basically the reveal of said concept, I guess I was expecting more of the actual game in its present state. Regardless, the game is as good as sold to me just based on this concept and Bungie's track record alone! I just would like to see more of the game itself and less of the game's concept art. I really can't wait for more things to be revealed.

That said, I've never really been interested in MMOs. Ever. I'm going to absolutely give this a shot. This is Bungie. They've never let me down. If someone could finally provide me with an MMO that I'd be interested in, I bet it'd be them.

The thing is, the reveal itself was somewhat underwhelming. All of the ARG stuff, requiring thousands of people and coordination and everything seemed to be building to something truly epic. My own expectations could be the culprit here, of course. Granted, I didn't really know what to expect, but I'd be lying if I said that I was expecting a minimal amount of gameplay and a large amount of concept art.

I don't want to come off as whining. Thank goodness they actually showed something from the actual game! I guess what I'm trying to say is that there was this awesome build up leading to today, an awesome ViDoc, and then what did we really learn that we didn't already know? Unfortunately, the leaks stole a lot of Bungie's thunder and content. That's not Bungie's fault. I guess I was expecting Bungie to just blow all of that out of the water with some spectacular gameplay reveal trailer. :P

I'm also not thrilled about the prospect of having to always be online while playing on a console. While this doesn't affect me, I do have friends (irl and from Xbox Live) whose internet connections are, to say the least, unreliable. That bugs me, but it's not a deal breaker, just a concern.

I guess the only negative thing I have to say at this point, aside from the always on thing (and nothing can be done about that, so oh well) is that I want more information. Less concept art. Something of the actual game. The ViDoc showed some gameplay and I really liked what I saw! We didn't even get a release date, either. I assume it's coming out this year, but maybe not. I'm disappointed that they didn't give a window, but I'm also very happy with the thought that if this game isn't ready, they might not ship it until it actually is. Thank goodness.

So, long story short, I'm still absolutely excited for this game. The reveal might not have lived up to my already really hyped up expectations, but it definitely hit the right spot. I can't wait for this game. Am I going to pre-order right now? Nope. Maybe I'll want a better pre-order version later. I'll watch and wait.

All in all, I just really want to thank Bungie for all of the events leading up to today, and for the reveal today as well. I'm looking forward to following Bungie into this new game universe!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread