PS4 Blind Raid pledge (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, May 19, 2018, 06:45 (2323 days ago)

Please post here if you are on PS4 and want to commit to a blind raid. I want to know if there are even 5 people left to do this with.

Please only reply if you can commit. This is for people who are getting to 370 at a more leisurely pace.

PS4 Blind Raid pledge

by slycrel ⌂, Saturday, May 19, 2018, 07:01 (2323 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Depending on scheduling I'm down for this.

PS4 Blind Raid pledge

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, May 19, 2018, 07:15 (2323 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Please post here if you are on PS4 and want to commit to a blind raid. I want to know if there are even 5 people left to do this with.

Please only reply if you can commit. This is for people who are getting to 370 at a more leisurely pace.

Pledges are retarded, but I’m leveling up at a decent pace, and should be available to do at least this new raid lair.
I am blind, but as with previous raids with you, Cody, a few of us know better than to tell you when we’re no longer blind. :P

PS4 Blind Raid pledge

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, May 20, 2018, 17:12 (2322 days ago) @ Korny

Pledges are retarded...

No, they're not. Don't be an ass.

PS4 Blind Raid pledge

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, May 21, 2018, 00:13 (2322 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by Korny, Monday, May 21, 2018, 00:22

Pledges are retarded...

Except they totally are (especially among supposed adults).

You're free to think otherwise, but in my experience/opinion, the only people who demand pledges are

A. Untrustworthy/dishonest people (I see it in the same vein as someone who says "why would I lie?". You plant your own seeds of distrust, and people who don't simply trust the word of others are likely liars themselves.

B. Insecure and controlling (ties into point A.) You try to exert control of others by getting them to consent to you holding something over their head. People with insecurities in their relationships with others tend to want leverage over them, and a pledge is pretty much on the same level as demanding to know where they are going, who they're going to be with, what they're doing, etc. And homie don't play that.

I said that I am currently blind, and that I'll be available for the raid. If Cody gets five folks who want to spit in their hand, cross their hearts, and hook their pinkie with his to feel better, then hooray, they have a full team to play kick the can.

PS4 Blind Raid pledge

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, May 21, 2018, 04:23 (2321 days ago) @ Korny

Pledges are retarded...

Except they totally are (especially among supposed adults).

You're free to think otherwise, but in my experience/opinion, the only people who demand pledges are

A. Untrustworthy/dishonest people (I see it in the same vein as someone who says "why would I lie?". You plant your own seeds of distrust, and people who don't simply trust the word of others are likely liars themselves.

B. Insecure and controlling (ties into point A.) You try to exert control of others by getting them to consent to you holding something over their head. People with insecurities in their relationships with others tend to want leverage over them, and a pledge is pretty much on the same level as demanding to know where they are going, who they're going to be with, what they're doing, etc. And homie don't play that.

I said that I am currently blind, and that I'll be available for the raid. If Cody gets five folks who want to spit in their hand, cross their hearts, and hook their pinkie with his to feel better, then hooray, they have a full team to play kick the can.

Thank you for that exegesis. A pledge is just another word for a commitment.

I won't try to psychoanalyze you but I will note two things based on my observations. From everything I can tell you are a totally committed husband, so I'm skeptical that you truly believe that "pledges are retarded." Second, you seem to enjoy acting like an ass in the internet.

PS4 Blind Raid pledge

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, May 21, 2018, 07:03 (2321 days ago) @ Kermit

Well, that's conveniently reductive (and here I thought you loved language and were capable of understanding nuance/context). If you want to look at it from that elementary angle, then I understand why you don't think a pledge is stupid.

A commitment is one thing, and yeah, there's nothing wrong with that (you're right that a pledge is a form of commitment). But the last time that I saw a pledge around here (and described specifically as a pledge), the event planner phrased it like "I ____ henceforth solemnly swear to remain visually and spiritually blind to this raid on pain of death...".
It's sad cringe at its finest, and that's what I think is stupid.

From everything I can tell you are a totally committed husband, so I'm skeptical that you truly believe that "pledges are retarded."

"Korny thinks pledges for a video game are dumb? Wait, does that mean he's not faithful to his wife?"

Your thought process is interesting, that's for sure.

If Cody is just asking "Who's committed to running a blind raid?" That's harmless and fine. Nothing wrong with that. Yay English!

Second, you seem to enjoy acting like an ass in the internet.

[image]

PS4 Blind Raid pledge

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, May 21, 2018, 09:38 (2321 days ago) @ Korny

Well, that's conveniently reductive (and here I thought you loved language and were capable of understanding nuance/context). If you want to look at it from that elementary angle, then I understand why you don't think a pledge is stupid.

A commitment is one thing, and yeah, there's nothing wrong with that (you're right that a pledge is a form of commitment). But the last time that I saw a pledge around here (and described specifically as a pledge), the event planner phrased it like "I ____ henceforth solemnly swear to remain visually and spiritually blind to this raid on pain of death...".
It's sad cringe at its finest, and that's what I think is stupid.

I'm reductive? You're the one who said "pledges are retarded". You're right. I don't have your understanding of language. I don't know what "sad cringe" means as an adjectival phrase.

I don't see anything wrong with some rhetorical flourish to communicate the idea that you want people to take the commitment you're asking for seriously, and so that those who enjoy trolling/ruining others' enjoyment know that they need not apply.

In my case any rhetoric like that was partly tongue-in-cheek, but also partly serious, and to the accusation that I might take a video game too seriously, well, yeah, dude. That's why I'm writing on this forum. I spend a serious amount of time on this hobby, unimportant as it may be to many people, and an important part of the enjoyment I get out of Destiny in particular is when I'm able to help figure out a new raid. If you don't take that as seriously, then fine, no harm no foul. If only you could extend such grace to others.

From everything I can tell you are a totally committed husband, so I'm skeptical that you truly believe that "pledges are retarded."

"Korny thinks pledges for a video game are dumb? Wait, does that mean he's not faithful to his wife?"

In your psychoanalysis you didn't hesitate to assess people's attitude towards their relationships. I guess I'm just not as well practiced in trolling to keep my discussion abstract, so I could plausibly deny I am talking about you personally. I'll work on that.

Your thought process is interesting, that's for sure.

As is yours.

If Cody is just asking "Who's committed to running a blind raid?" That's harmless and fine. Nothing wrong with that. Yay English!

Every word choice or opinion that doesn't perfectly align with yours doesn't have to condemned, rejected, or ridiculed, Korny.

PS4 Blind Raid pledge

by Revenant1988 ⌂ @, How do I forum?, Monday, May 21, 2018, 16:39 (2321 days ago) @ Kermit

Every word choice or opinion that doesn't perfectly align with yours doesn't have to condemned, rejected, or ridiculed, Korny.

LOL

Dude, you've met him.

He can't help himself.

(I understood your train of thought, but I also remember the days Korny said "I'll never get married, mocked me when I did, and then got married himself)

He's pretty good at pressing your buttons in particular, kerm. You know this, and you still can't help yourself -but that's ok- most of us can't either ;)

PS4 Blind Raid pledge

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, May 22, 2018, 12:39 (2320 days ago) @ Revenant1988

LOL

Dude, you've met him.

He can't help himself.

(I understood your train of thought, but I also remember the days Korny said "I'll never get married, mocked me when I did, and then got married himself)

Korny mocked someone?! This is my shocked face.

PS4 Blind Raid pledge

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, May 19, 2018, 07:26 (2323 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I’m definitely in. Another week of engrams and a few Leviathan runs would do wonders for my power level.

2 more?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, May 19, 2018, 13:30 (2323 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

2 more?

by kupkake191, Marysville, WA, Saturday, May 19, 2018, 15:23 (2323 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Omg, we have stay blind for your raid. But if people are going to get kicked, that not ok. We all been working hard to get our light level up for the raid.

2 more?

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, May 19, 2018, 15:43 (2323 days ago) @ kupkake191

Omg, we have stay blind for your raid. But if people are going to get kicked, that not ok. We all been working hard to get our light level up for the raid.

No one is getting kicked. He’s asking for people to continue to stay blind until folks are actually ready. I can’t speak for anyone else, but I certainly will not be ready by Tuesday. I’m going to play tomorrow evening and Monday evening, but even so I’ll be lucky to hit 350.

I know you are eager to do it, given that you wanted to push it forward a week. I think he’s trying to find a solution that works for everyone.

I’m down to give it a shot at our scheduled time. I’m vastly underleveled, so I’ll be a freaking boat anchor, but I’m up go at least going in and giving it a shot.

2 more?

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Saturday, May 19, 2018, 17:18 (2323 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I’m less leveled than you and I still have enjoyed doing the best we can this week on Xbox. I say do it anyway and be ok with not finishing.

2 more?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, May 19, 2018, 22:24 (2323 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Yes. I’m not kicking anyone. I just wanted to see if anyone had already done it.

We will figure out a date. Maybe in a week or two!

FYI about levels

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, May 20, 2018, 17:23 (2322 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Just so you know, you can play a lot of the raid without getting to 370. Our average level is probably 360, and we're think we're at the final stage. The penultimate stage has been very difficult, but that said, you can have a lot of fun without reaching 370, and it's been a challenge in a good way figuring out how to stay alive and play to our strengths together.

Looking forward to raiding with you all. I should be ready by the time you're no longer blind.

Changed to June 5th

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, May 20, 2018, 20:48 (2322 days ago) @ Cody Miller

If this is good let me know. If everyone wants to try a week earlier, that's ok too.

Changed to June 5th

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, May 20, 2018, 21:43 (2322 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Works okay for me either way.

Iron Banner this week should help a bunch.

PS4 Blind Raid pledge

by dogcow @, Hiding from Bob, in the vent core., Monday, May 21, 2018, 07:34 (2321 days ago) @ Cody Miller

You can trust that I'll still be blind, dunno if I'll make it to 370 in time though. I could probably make it by June 5th.

PS4 Blind Raid pledge

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, May 21, 2018, 07:54 (2321 days ago) @ dogcow

You can trust that I'll still be blind, dunno if I'll make it to 370 in time though. I could probably make it by June 5th.

Kermit seems to think being 360ish is enough. Has anyone here finished the raid? Is this mostly true?

PS4 Blind Raid pledge

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, May 21, 2018, 09:44 (2321 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Kermit seems to think being 360ish is enough. Has anyone here finished the raid? Is this mostly true?

I don't know if it's enough to finish, but I think it's probably enough to get far enough to figure out all the mechanics, which to me is the main goal of raiding blind.

PS4 Blind Raid pledge

by squidnh3, Monday, May 21, 2018, 09:44 (2321 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm on Kermit's team, we have 2 360+ and the rest are 350s (Vortech was 348). We made it through the first two encounters, and have mostly figured out the mechanics of the 3rd. The displayed power level of the enemies in the 3rd encounter does increase to 380.

The only problem you might run into is not having the right weapons infused up.

This is helpful, thanks.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, May 21, 2018, 09:54 (2321 days ago) @ squidnh3

It seems like if we can hit 360 we will be fine?

Good to know, thank you!

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread