Competitive Crucible Tips (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, May 31, 2018, 13:47 (2128 days ago)

You'd think from reading reddit the competitive crucible system with Glory is the worst thing ever. But it's actually pretty fun. A few more gametypes would be nice, but it's pretty enjoyable actually.

You don't have to win as much as you'd think to advance. According to the stats, I'm winning a little over half my games, and every day I climb a little bit. I guess if you are good and get tons of streaks you can breeze through, but it looks like mere mortals can gain ranks too (or so it seems). Schooly D is nowhere to be found, so here's what I find to be working reasonably well:

Overall, a good pair of headphones is a huge advantage. You don't have radar, but you DO make noise, and with surround sound headphones you can get a clue as to where your enemy is. Numerous times has this thwarted an attempted sneak attack. If you are trying to be quiet, landing from a jump seems to make the most noise, but you can hear footsteps from running as well.

As far as Countdown goes, it seems like most often rounds are won by wiping the team. I'd start the round with that mindset, but if it doesn't seem like that's going to happen and the the team is playing defensively, THEN think about the bomb. The bomb is basically pressure. So, the minute you get an advantage is when you should arm it. It makes no sense to arm if you are even, much less down a man. Don't think of the bomb as the thing that wins, but as the thing that forces the other team to attack while at a disadvantage.

The game feed is super helpful when it comes to identifying the power ammo. Pay attention to when the other team loads, and what they load. Heavy control is also hugely helpful, especially in survival. In Destiny, you had specials to stop heavy. Now, you are kind of dead if a shotgunner gets the jump on you. If you can get the heavy more than the other team you are already up quite a bit.

Positioning has been a huge thing I've had to improve upon for the new Crucible. You can't really rely on quick plays to get out of jams; you just have to not get in them in the first place. So if you're in a spot where you can't disengage very easily, you are probably going to be killed even if you win the fight, but another member of the other team.

Obviously sticking together is important, but the best thing is to position such that you can shoot people with your team from different angles.

Jade Rabbit and Vigilance Wing are working pretty well for me, and the Wormhusk Crown is just stupid good.

It's basically Trials with matchmaking…

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread