I would very much like to escalate. (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, August 20, 2018, 17:53 (2223 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Really, the simple solution (conceptually speaking) is to just add matchmaking for EP, lol.

You're not wrong. And the few 9 person EPs I've done have been a blast--I desperately wish we could just matchmake into that as a group.

I do also wish, however, that more people just played the game the way I imagine Bungie intended people to. Matching up with randos to accomplish something is special and fun in a neat way.

I don't know what the answer is to accomplish that, though. I won't begrudge anyone for playing Destiny in whichever way they want, but too many people treat the game like a checklist. They laser focus on whatever they're currently doing, be it weapon catalysts, finishing a quest step for Sleeper Simulant or whatever else. That's totally fine, I just feel like Bungie intended folks to just play the game, and let those things happen naturally, and I really feel like the game is designed around that philosophy.

I don't know if they can somehow teach and encourage players to play the game like that (or if they even should). Maybe just adding matchmaking to literally everything in the game is the actual answer--just let people do what they want. But I also do think that something special about Destiny would be lost if that were to happen.

I also recognize that I'm probably in the minority with how I engage with Destiny. I like just dicking around in patrol, I play basically whatever anyone else is in the mood for, whether it's something I'll get a reward for it or not. I rarely have a specific thing I want to accomplish in the game--I just like playing the game. I suspect that most people don't have that mindset (given all the bitching about how doing X activity isn't rewarding enough, as if just the joy of playing isn't a good enough reason to do something). So getting people to just jump into a patrol to dick around is probably like pulling teeth.

It's a shame, because I feel like such a large percentage of development time and effort goes into the campaign and the patrol spaces, which end up feeling like throwaway things, because no one wants to just hang out in the patrol spaces.

Eh, anyway, I think I'm rambling now, and I have a hard time articulating my thoughts on this, partly because they're not fully formed anyway.

Here’s the thing; in order for me to reach the point where I could casually jump into EP with a group of randos, I needed to treat D2 like a checklist for 3 solid months. Thats how long it took me to get my characters leveled to the point where the final waves of EP are not an absolute train wreck, while also acquiring the diverse range of gear needed to be able to slip into any group and fill a needed role. I’m totally with you when it comes to the desire to just float around the game and do whatever you’re in the mood to do. I LOVE Destiny when it gets to that point. I just can’t actually play that way in the true sense until after I’ve climbed the power ladder, and Bungie keeps making that climb longer and slower with each release.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread