regarding the Dreaming City [Forsaken Spoilers] (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, September 06, 2018, 08:47 (2059 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Remember when I said that Tangled Shores was my favourite D2 location? Well that was before I’d reached the Dreaming City. Sweet Christmas, Bungie’s art team have outdone themselves.

I’m pretty sure I found the entrance to the Raid O_o

*** Dreaming City Spoilers ***

I had a strange night last night... fell asleep at 8pm, woke up at 2am and then stayed up the rest of the night playing Destiny. I started the night by unlocking access to the Dreaming City. Since it was so late, none of my friends were online. This early into Forsake, I'm guessing that not many people have progressed far enough to reach the Dreaming City, so there weren't many other guardians in the patrol space (I saw other players occasionally, but for the most part I was by myself).

When you first enter the Dreaming City, there's a short introductory mission that leads you towards the main patrol space, and culminates in you being granted access to the new patrol space (similar to the first mission in Rise of Iron, where you had to make your way up the mountain and retake it, which then unlocked the area as a social space).

I loved this intro mission. Stellar scenery and art design (it's like Lord of the Rings in space!), plus the plot at this point is beginning to drive towards more of the lore that I find fascinating.

I am a bit torn by what happens after that intro mission. You get dropped down into one region of the Dreaming City patrol space, with no specific instructions aside from a Vendor node on the map, and a Milestone that says "Complete 3 weekly challenges in the Dreaming City". I eventually made my way over to Petra (she's the vendor for this destination) and picked up all her Bounties. There were a bunch of daily bounties, and a few weekly bounties. I assume these weekly bounties are the "3 weekly challenges" that the milestone tracker refers to.

Here's the thing; of those 3 bounties, only one of them is an objective that I know how to complete. The other 2 either tell me to kill something that I've never heard of and don't know where to find, or tell me to acquire something that I have no clue how to acquire. Now, when I say "here's the thing", I don't mean that its a bad "thing". I could be a great thing. The idea of having this gorgeous, mysterious location that we need to collectively explore and figure out sounds awesome to me. But yet again, I wish the game was a little more clear about what is expected of me at this point, because the way it is presented is so jarring that I can't help wondering if I've missed something. You arrive at the Dreaming City, there's a big plot reveal and an objective that you are given (through dialogue in the cutscene), and then when you load into the patrol space, there's nothing on the map or in your menu about the objective you were just told... instead there's just this "complete 3 weekly challenges" milestone. The other thing that's a bit strange is that, at just over 500 light, I'm drastically under-leveled for this space. Everything seems to be at least 540 ll, or higher (1 lost sector in particular was filled with enemies that I couldn't even damage, so they must be at least 550 or 560). This makes exploration kind of stressful, since there are lots of areas that are tough to get through without being slaughtered.

Yet despite all this, I spend at least 2 hours slowly making my way around the patrol space, completing a few patrols and public events, searching hidden nooks and caves. As I mentioned in an earlier post, I'm pretty sure I found the entrance to the Raid. It's super cool. Can't wait to go back there with a team. I'm thoroughly captivated by this destination and am excited to go straight back and spend more time exploring, searching for puzzles, and just being in that place. Even though I find my point in the mission continuity to be a bit jarring, the location itself is more than good enough to keep more playing while I figure out what to do next.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread