More Tips for Gambit. (Destiny)

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, October 20, 2018, 18:23 (1986 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Gambit is a race

Everything I do during a Gambit match is done with speed and efficiency in mind. I am always keeping track of time along 2 dimensions: how much time am I spending, and how much time am I costing the other team?

You know, this is exactly it. If by the time you wrap up the first wave and bank the Heavy has already spawned, you're taking too long. Fastest I could do with my usual team is one and a half waves before Heavy. If you bank for the first time and the timer says 0:25 or something close, you're golden.

Get a feel for your team. If you think they can kill adds fast enough, bank those 5, you won't slow them down so much.

There is one other thing I want to mention here, as a general thought. A lot of people will say "when the Drifter tells you that you have enough motes to summon a Primeval, drop everything and bank right away!". I don't agree with this. At least, not in every case. I've played rounds where several players on my team were holding a few motes when we hit the total needed to summon a boss. If all of us have 3-4 motes, that's a scenario where IMO it's actually worth taking the extra few seconds needed to get everyone up to 5 motes, then rush back and bank all together. This buys your team time to quickly clear out the weaker enemies that spawn along with the Primeval, before you get invaded. I find it much easier to spot and stop the invader if you aren't getting shot from a million directions all at once. Invasions during the boss phase are another point that can make or break a round, so stopping invaders is crucial.

I've found that we're racing to kill the Envoys. Once that's done, we can totally chill for almost a full minute and just pick off invaders and invade ourselves leisurely. No use wasting Supers and Heavies before the multiplier is at least x5 on the off-chance an invader gets lucky and heals it all back.

In fact, get the Envoys ASAP and them spread out to catch those pesky invaders by surprise. They tend to tunnel vision people close to the bank area, so if you're all spread out, they'll have a hard time preventing flanking.

On that point, always invade the enemy team ASAP once they've summoned their Primeval. I've pulled off some incredible comebacks thanks to late-game invasions. Just yesterday, I reached a moment where both teams were fighting their respective bosses, when I saw that the enemy team's boss health bar started to drop, fast. Our portal opened, and I invaded. Their boss was down to about 1/4 health. I got 2 quick kills with my sleeper, popped my super, and killed the remaining 2 players with my hammers. Their boss's health was back up over 50% as I got teleported back to my side, giving me enough time to use the rest of my hammers to kill my Primeval.

Even if your late-game invasions don't go that well, you will at the very least take the enemy team's attention away from damaging their boss, giving your team time to gain ground.

One thing my team used to think was that it only made sense to invade once their Primeval had a chunk of health taken away. We later figured out it is even better to invade ASAP and delay the death of the Envoys for as long as possible. As you've said, just by being there you're already delaying at least one of them anyway.

That's all I've got for now... I was thinking I might live stream some gambit at some point in the near future. Would that be of interest to anyone?

Very much, yes. I'll see if my team can set one up too. We've been stomping pretty hard lately and I'm sure we could both use some pointers and give some of you some cool ideas.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread