Watch this Titan. (Destiny)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, October 22, 2018, 16:34 (2070 days ago)

Nice.

by Ragashingo ⌂, Official DBO Cryptarch, Monday, October 22, 2018, 17:19 (2070 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

Watch this Titan.

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 06:35 (2070 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Wish my trust would kill in 4 shots

I don't think it's your trust ;)

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 07:12 (2069 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

I thought all Trust hand cannons killed in 4 shots if you are accurate? Three if you can land headshots?

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 08:16 (2069 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r

I think it is, cause I switched Hand Cannons, and everything started landing.

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 08:20 (2069 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

What I think Tiger means is that all Trusts can kill in 4 shots. Whether or not you can consistently land shots with your particular roll is another question :)

by ChrisTheeCrappy, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 10:17 (2069 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

No I got it. But it literally WAS connecting, but no damage numbers. I think my Xbox One X is about to die to be honest. Lots of weird shit and it lags almost as much as much as my normal.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 08:21 (2069 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Maybe you just don't trust the gun enough.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 08:52 (2069 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Maybe you just don't trust the gun enough.

Indeed. Also depends on your roll. A targeting mod thrown on Trust makes it even more amazing.

Speaking of Trust

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 09:56 (2069 days ago) @ ChrisTheeCrappy

Can that thing roll with high impact rounds or something similar? I faced a person using Trust last night, and it felt like it was hitting super hard and really knocking my aim around.

Speaking of Trust

by TheeChaos @, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 11:59 (2069 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Explosive rounds or Timed Payload perhaps?

Watch this Titan.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 09:21 (2069 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

No idea why the other team didn't put one guy on the cap point, and send the rest to kill that Titan. There were THREE people alive on the other team when the cap point spawned. Double team the titan or at least keep him busy while one guy caps the point.

They lost because they were dumb.

Watch this Titan.

by squidnh3, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 10:01 (2069 days ago) @ Cody Miller

A lot of players seem to take a big life advantage as license to stat-hunt. They spread out to hunt for players and get picked off 1 by 1, just as this video shows.

In Destiny, coordinated aggression is probably the best strategy, but uncoordinated aggression is probably the worst strategy. However, sometimes all you really need is to get some red on the enemy's radar in more than one spot, forcing them to split their focus and do something dumb.

That cringeworthy Shoulder charge at the end...

by TheeChaos @, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 10:33 (2069 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

The lock on he got from his Shoulder charge... wtf.

He is aiming upper left, guy is low right, lunges straight at him. Don't get me wrong, its great fun to do, but where is the balance? Hunter gets a throwing knife that does not even one hit kill if you get a headshot with it.

I know its alot of fun, but lets give the other classes some love. And before you say anything, the triple throwing knives are not a good answer. Even the knew Arcstrider slide melee requires you not only to sprint, but then slide, and melee, and has 0 lock on, and when it does hit, it may take their shield off. What am I missing?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 10:41 (2069 days ago) @ TheeChaos

He is aiming upper left, guy is low right, lunges straight at him. Don't get me wrong, its great fun to do, but where is the balance? Hunter gets a throwing knife that does not even one hit kill if you get a headshot with it.

It is if you get one shot off first:

Shoot. Throw. Dodge.

Then because you used gambler's dodge you get back your throwing knife and can do it again. By the way the uppercut you get with the new arc subclass IS a one hit kill. So uppercut, dodge, uppercut is easily a thing when you are double teamed.

by TheeChaos @, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 10:56 (2069 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by TheeChaos, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 11:01

It is if you get one shot off first:

Shoot. Throw. Dodge.

Then because you used gambler's dodge you get back your throwing knife and can do it again. By the way the uppercut you get with the new arc subclass IS a one hit kill. So uppercut, dodge, uppercut is easily a thing when you are double teamed.

I have hit plenty of people with the uppercut with lots of damage numbers and they have survived. So unless they are AFK or just not jumping or moving, its not anything nearly as convenient as a spammy shoulder charge that locks on and lunges, is it?

If the common answer is "just play hunter better" thats fine, I will just keep playing like I do. I definitely have the stats to show I know what I am doing. I would just like to give hunters some love. Warlocks have the handheld supernova, titans have the shoulder charge, give hunters one hit kill knives on headshots. Doesn't seem too crazy as it still needs to be a headshot vs a trigger pull.

EDIT: After looking on reddit, Uppercut doesn't seem to be a OHK. Maybe in IB if they are low enough?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 11:10 (2069 days ago) @ TheeChaos

EDIT: After looking on reddit, Uppercut doesn't seem to be a OHK. Maybe in IB if they are low enough?

Hmmmm. That's probably it actually…

But As much as I love Hunters (I am one after all), they are by far the best PvP class currently, statistically speaking. They already get too much love…

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 11:25 (2069 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Hmmmm. That's probably it actually…

But As much as I love Hunters (I am one after all), they are by far the best PvP class currently, statistically speaking. They already get too much love…

I would totally agree with this. All the new titan abilities are very much on the PvE side of the spectrum. Where as the Hunters all feel PvP oriented.

by TheeChaos @, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 11:50 (2069 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Please explain?

Other than the triple jump, their abilities are not as strong as other classes.

Grenades: No Pulse type. Vortex is close but not as good

Melee: No One hit kill, no return health on kill, maybe apply a burn.

Class: Solid for PVP but only benefits yourself. Invis dodge is one of the best.

Supers: Golden gun gets NO "super shield". None of the supers give heals on kills. All but Golden gun are outrun by titan and warlock skating. Hunters are supposed to be the most mobile, but pop a super and they get outran by people literally jumping away. Don't get me wrong, you can wreek some havoc, but it requires better situation than a hammerbro who can fly high and hurl tracking hammers and get heals back. Luckily the Spinny staff arcstrider has balanced this out a bit =]

Like MacAddict said, maybe we shouldn't be comparing 1v1. I still feel some changes could be made to further the balance or at least make some classes less aggravating to play against.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 12:07 (2069 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Please explain?

Other than the triple jump, their abilities are not as strong as other classes.

Grenades: No Pulse type. Vortex is close but not as good

Melee: No One hit kill, no return health on kill, maybe apply a burn.

Class: Solid for PVP but only benefits yourself. Invis dodge is one of the best.

Supers: Golden gun gets NO "super shield". None of the supers give heals on kills. All but Golden gun are outrun by titan and warlock skating. Hunters are supposed to be the most mobile, but pop a super and they get outran by people literally jumping away. Don't get me wrong, you can wreek some havoc, but it requires better situation than a hammerbro who can fly high and hurl tracking hammers and get heals back. Luckily the Spinny staff arcstrider has balanced this out a bit =]

The greatest advantage of Golden gun is that you point and shoot and people die, basically instantly. I can't think of another super that has that ability that isn't close range. Which doesn't seem powerful, but man oh man I've lost so many times to golden gunners because I get sniped as my hammer arm is pulled back to kill one.

Like MacAddict said, maybe we shouldn't be comparing 1v1. I still feel some changes could be made to further the balance or at least make some classes less aggravating to play against.

+1

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 12:09 (2069 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Blade Barrage is the only super that can consistently OHK a Nova Warping Warlock. To me, that's a win.

If we are talking about Nerfing supers...

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 12:13 (2069 days ago) @ Claude Errera

Blade Barrage is the only super that can consistently OHK a Nova Warping Warlock. To me, that's a win.

Then nova warp should be erased so hard that people should forget it existed.

Because no super should be able to be cast while 4 players are shooting at it only to be able to run in and wipe that entire team.

I'll also add that the only thing I've seen take out one of these guys is a golden gun, so +1 for hunters again.

If we are talking about Nerfing supers...

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 12:25 (2069 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Then nova warp should be erased so hard that people should forget it existed.

Because no super should be able to be cast while 4 players are shooting at it only to be able to run in and wipe that entire team.

I'll also add that the only thing I've seen take out one of these guys is a golden gun, so +1 for hunters again.

I've seen that too, and have killed one with a Burning Maul... but I've seen both of those things hit and fail, too. I've never seen a BB fail, as long as it's thrown before the Nova Warp pop.

(Oh, and that video is some straight-up bullshit. I feel for you. :) )

by TheeChaos @, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 12:32 (2069 days ago) @ Claude Errera

This is true. Although, seems like NO ONE uses nova bomb since voidbomber came out. Can a Nova Bomb not one shot them? I am VERY glad that you mentioned this. I forgot about it in my post, but I am glad hunters got a panic super.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 13:24 (2069 days ago) @ TheeChaos

You forgot that gamblers dodge is easily the best class ability in PvP.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 13:28 (2069 days ago) @ Cody Miller

And One Eyed Mask might be the most powerful exotic for PvP.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 13:53 (2069 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Not sure how they didn’t learn their lesson from wormhusk.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 14:46 (2069 days ago) @ cheapLEY

*cough* There's another exotic whose power is... insurmountable.

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/kornymunky/video/61669605

That said, the shoulder charge is kind of iffy sometimes. I often find myself charging through enemies, shoving them back, and in one instance where TheeChaos was watching from another angle, my shoulder charge rubs up against enemies and does nothing but stop me in my tracks.

Here's one example of the "charge through enemies" thing:

https://xboxdvr.com/gamer/kornymunky/video/62478535

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 15:14 (2069 days ago) @ Korny

The inconsistent contact issues are so frustrating.

Anyway, I think both of those clips really illustrate the function of shoulder charge as not being some blind use ability. When you are approaching on a flank or otherwise occupied targets they are easy, catch them head on by surprise and it is more up in the air, but get caught in the open against range, pretty much a sealed caskeT.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 16:20 (2069 days ago) @ Harmanimus

The inconsistent contact issues are so frustrating.

Anyway, I think both of those clips really illustrate the function of shoulder charge as not being some blind use ability. When you are approaching on a flank or otherwise occupied targets they are easy, catch them head on by surprise and it is more up in the air, but get caught in the open against range, pretty much a sealed caskeT.

Yeah. I’ve never been upset when killed by a shoulder charge. I know that it was my fault (especially since I use Fighting Lion). And even as a Titan, running Skullfort has pretty significantly dropped my K/D, since I’ve gotten very closely acquainted with all of the shotguns in the expansion, Telesto, and Blade Barrage. And that’s besides the charges that come up just shy of the target, which happens more often than I’d like to admit.

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 11:43 (2069 days ago) @ TheeChaos

It is a matter of investment. That is why the titan shoulder charges are OHK. How long do you have to sprint to be able to slide and do the uppercut? Even the Titan slam melee on Code of the Missile isn’t a OHK because you basically get through the sprint animation jump and can trigger it. You can easily grenade or shoot someone before closing the distance, same with the knife.

You do not have that option with the shoulder charge melees because the required wind up time.

by TheeChaos @, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 11:53 (2069 days ago) @ Harmanimus

It is a matter of investment. That is why the titan shoulder charges are OHK. How long do you have to sprint to be able to slide and do the uppercut? Even the Titan slam melee on Code of the Missile isn’t a OHK because you basically get through the sprint animation jump and can trigger it. You can easily grenade or shoot someone before closing the distance, same with the knife.

You do not have that option with the shoulder charge melees because the required wind up time.

You bring up a good point. Handheld supernovas have to be charged as well and you cannot do anything while charging it.

Not sure on the windup time for Uppercut because I rarey use it in PVP. I get better results just doing 2 standard melee attacks =/

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 12:13 (2069 days ago) @ TheeChaos

I haven’t had time to get my hunter the third seed (oh well RIP gaming this week due to moving) to unlock the Arc tree. Haven’t seen it in any competitive play either. Would be interesting to see hard test on its function. Does anyone still do that for Destiny? Make videos testing stuff?

But regular double melee is reliable. And if you run an SMG or Sidearm regular melee is really reliable. I’d guess it’s value is probably more PvE, as I assume it does a shockwave thing. At least that’s what the in game effects imply. Kinda like how the Sunbreaker Hammer Throw is awesome in PvE, but limited in PvP.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 11:03 (2069 days ago) @ TheeChaos

I know its alot of fun, but lets give the other classes some love. And before you say anything, the triple throwing knives are not a good answer. Even the knew Arcstrider slide melee requires you not only to sprint, but then slide, and melee, and has 0 lock on, and when it does hit, it may take their shield off. What am I missing?

I'm perfectly okay with them fixing what you describe if they fix the broken shoulder charge at 9 seconds. There have been so many times I've bounced off people or gone right by them when they are literally blocking my way.

That is the only case where locking on works well for Titans. Don't even get my started on the Sentinel Super.

by TheeChaos @, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 11:06 (2069 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I'm perfectly okay with them fixing what you describe if they fix the broken shoulder charge at 9 seconds. There have been so many times I've bounced off people or gone right by them when they are literally blocking my way.

That is the only case where locking on works well for Titans. Don't even get my started on the Sentinel Super.

I don't want them to nerf shoulder charge at all. If it takes another hit to kill afterwards, it would be a weak ability. Just bring up the other ones to match.

The bug made me laugh, but at least he was able to get it back instantly after sprinting again. If that were the hunter uppercut he would be waiting on his ability to recharge or have to use his dodge to get it back.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 11:17 (2069 days ago) @ TheeChaos
edited by MacAddictXIV, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 11:22

I don't want them to nerf shoulder charge at all. If it takes another hit to kill afterwards, it would be a weak ability. Just bring up the other ones to match.

The bug made me laugh, but at least he was able to get it back instantly after sprinting again. If that were the hunter uppercut he would be waiting on his ability to recharge or have to use his dodge to get it back.

Well, of course he got it back, it did no damage because it didn't hit him. I haven't played the hunters, but all I know is that shoulder charge is a risk reward ability. You are completely defenseless when you use it. Yes, it one shots and it is very viable in close quarters, but it can be easily countered if you are careful. I don't know the perks of the uppercut. But I would assume the throwing knives aren't a 1 hit because they are just that, throwing knives. Maybe this is another case of, overall the hunter's and titan's are balanced and we shouldn't be comparing abilities one to one.

I feel like if the knife was a 1 hit precision kill then they would have to take away the ability that gives it back on precision hit. Otherwise there are people who would just be using knives. Not only that, but you can get a second knife with armor right?

by TheeChaos @, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 11:47 (2069 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Well, of course he got it back, it did no damage because it didn't hit him. I haven't played the hunters, but all I know is that shoulder charge is a risk reward ability. You are completely defenseless when you use it. Yes, it one shots and it is very viable in close quarters, but it can be easily countered if you are careful. I don't know the perks of the uppercut. But I would assume the throwing knives aren't a 1 hit because they are just that, throwing knives. Maybe this is another case of, overall the hunter's and titan's are balanced and we shouldn't be comparing abilities one to one.

I feel like if the knife was a 1 hit precision kill then they would have to take away the ability that gives it back on precision hit. Otherwise there are people who would just be using knives. Not only that, but you can get a second knife with armor right?

The uppercut is the same, Your up in the air for a bit, stuck in the animation. The only difference is it doesn't matter if you hit anything or not, it uses the ability charge.

There would definitely have to be some reworks to perks/armor if they did anything about any of this. Perhaps have it give heals on kills or something.

You definitely can't make 1 on 1 comparisons the way its set up. They are different for a reason, and I like that. But I never run into a hunter in PVP and go "oh god another X spammer again" like shoulder charge and handheld novas running around.

If I get killed with some well aimed throwing knives, I give the guy respect as it took some thought. Alot of people crutch on shoulder charge in the crucible. I wish it showed in the AAR.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 12:03 (2069 days ago) @ TheeChaos

The uppercut is the same, Your up in the air for a bit, stuck in the animation. The only difference is it doesn't matter if you hit anything or not, it uses the ability charge.

Okay, yeah that sucks. I feel like if you miss it should give it back to you. Maybe keep the animation for missing? Should charge is the same way but it doesn't expend the ability.

There would definitely have to be some reworks to perks/armor if they did anything about any of this. Perhaps have it give heals on kills or something.

You definitely can't make 1 on 1 comparisons the way its set up. They are different for a reason, and I like that. But I never run into a hunter in PVP and go "oh god another X spammer again" like shoulder charge and handheld novas running around.

This isn't D1 anymore, you don't get infinite shoulder charges if you actually USE the shoulder charge. It's like saying "Oh great, another golden gun spammer." If someone is using shoulder charge whenever it refreshes then that is their right just as much as people have the right to use their grenade whenever it is up.

If I get killed with some well aimed throwing knives, I give the guy respect as it took some thought. Alot of people crutch on shoulder charge in the crucible. I wish it showed in the AAR.

I would argue that shoulder charge takes more planning and foresight and throwing knives takes more aiming skill. They are independent skills. But to say that shoulder charge takes no skill is not fair at all. I'm not saying that is what you are saying, but I get the feeling that is what you are implying. Also, both skills can be dodged, but at least you can shoot a shoulder charger. All you can do for a knife is hope that it's not in line with your face.

Don't forget shotguns

by Blackt1g3r @, Login is from an untrusted domain in MN, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 12:10 (2069 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Easy counter to someone who likes to shoulder-charge.

:'(

by TheeChaos @, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 12:49 (2069 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I would argue that shoulder charge takes more planning and foresight and throwing knives takes more aiming skill. They are independent skills. But to say that shoulder charge takes no skill is not fair at all. I'm not saying that is what you are saying, but I get the feeling that is what you are implying. Also, both skills can be dodged, but at least you can shoot a shoulder charger. All you can do for a knife is hope that it's not in line with your face.

I'll take the hit, its exactly what I am saying. Prove me wrong if I am. No harm, seriously.

Take someone who has never played a game, they would get more kills with shoulder charge than they would with throwing knives hands down. How is that not related to skill. I don't think that is far fetched to say.

As far as the planning, you are going to sprint anyway. Not all the time, but enough to where you are ready for a shoulder charge just by playing normally. Everyone that has played titan has got kills by just sprinting and then some random enemy walks out in front and they hit the melee button for an easy panic kill. The number of throwing knife kills by PLANNED throws is definitely far less than panic shoulder charge. Maybe thats my issue with it. Or maybe I'm just a salty hunter, sorry if that is the case!

I don't have any numbers or figures to support this, these are the ramblings of a madman. But I'm sure enough of us can easily say they have been killed more by shoulder charge. And its not because of all the "skilled" titans out there.

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 12:58 (2069 days ago) @ TheeChaos

My skill at peeling apples does not directly translate to my friend’s skill at shelling pistachios.

That’s the thing. I’m sure there are people who get lucky panic knives. And there are people who get shotgunned before they can finish their shoulder charge as someone steps around a corner. There are many, many theoretical situations you can use to compare. However none of them will dispute that to use either well you have to apply a skillset, not the same skillset mind you. But just because some people use something without skill doesn’t mean it is skillless.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 13:30 (2069 days ago) @ TheeChaos

I'll take the hit, its exactly what I am saying. Prove me wrong if I am. No harm, seriously.

I like an honest man :D

Take someone who has never played a game, they would get more kills with shoulder charge than they would with throwing knives hands down. How is that not related to skill. I don't think that is far fetched to say.

I would argue that shoulder charge is more effective at lower skill levels and inversely for throwing knives. The reason I say that is because of how high risk shoulder charge is compared to throwing knives. You have to commit with a shoulder charge. If you fail a shoulder charge you are dead. If you aren't then you are fighting someone who sucks. You can throw a knife and hide around a corner. The risk is far less.

So, from you example, yes an inexperienced person would get more kills.

As far as the planning, you are going to sprint anyway. Not all the time, but enough to where you are ready for a shoulder charge just by playing normally. Everyone that has played titan has got kills by just sprinting and then some random enemy walks out in front and they hit the melee button for an easy panic kill.

From this description, it makes it sound like the people are completely oblivious to the motion tracker. I feel like it's totally possible for people to be oblivious of enemies approaching them, but again this is why I mention skill level of the opponent. I feel like almost every time I get shoulder charged I deserved it. I was out of place or not prepared.

Let me also mention that if you are sprinting and someone has a line of sight on you, you are dead 80% of the time. That is why people don't sprint all the time.

The number of throwing knife kills by PLANNED throws is definitely far less than panic shoulder charge. Maybe thats my issue with it. Or maybe I'm just a salty hunter, sorry if that is the case!

Well, this comes back to the comparing 1 to 1. We know that knives can't one hit. But if we are saying just "scoring a hit" then we can do better comparison. As for planning. How often do you see someone on the tracker and your next move is planned around throwing your knife? Or if you see someone and then duck to cover and then think about your next moves based around your knife? I know this is kinda hard to think about because as we have mentioned, they aren't OHKs.

I guess I feel like with a knife, you either lead with it or finish someone with it. Does that take skill? Totally! Does it take planning and foresight? Not in my mind. Shoulder charge has rarely ever been a "in the moment" strategy. It has always been a flanking, planned charging into someone ranks and secretly to keep from getting gunned down. In very few cases at close range I will try and get up to sprinting speed and circle around in hopes of hitting someone before I'm gunned down. More often it is me running away and turning a corner to try and turn around to turn the tide of a fight. All these scenarios take way more than "I hit a button because I panicked" Can you sprint around the map all the time and get random kills from running into people? Yeah! But more often than not against halfway decent players, you are going to be gunned down 80% of the time in my experience.

I don't have any numbers or figures to support this, these are the ramblings of a madman. But I'm sure enough of us can easily say they have been killed more by shoulder charge. And its not because of all the "skilled" titans out there.

Indeed. These are all my experiences from playing a LOT of titan hours in many varied levels of experience.

by TheeChaos @, Wednesday, October 24, 2018, 06:51 (2069 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

I like an honest man :D

I would argue that shoulder charge is more effective at lower skill levels and inversely for throwing knives. The reason I say that is because of how high risk shoulder charge is compared to throwing knives. You have to commit with a shoulder charge. If you fail a shoulder charge you are dead. If you aren't then you are fighting someone who sucks. You can throw a knife and hide around a corner. The risk is far less.

So, from you example, yes an inexperienced person would get more kills.

As far as the planning, you are going to sprint anyway. Not all the time, but enough to where you are ready for a shoulder charge just by playing normally. Everyone that has played titan has got kills by just sprinting and then some random enemy walks out in front and they hit the melee button for an easy panic kill.

From this description, it makes it sound like the people are completely oblivious to the motion tracker. I feel like it's totally possible for people to be oblivious of enemies approaching them, but again this is why I mention skill level of the opponent. I feel like almost every time I get shoulder charged I deserved it. I was out of place or not prepared.

Let me also mention that if you are sprinting and someone has a line of sight on you, you are dead 80% of the time. That is why people don't sprint all the time.

The number of throwing knife kills by PLANNED throws is definitely far less than panic shoulder charge. Maybe thats my issue with it. Or maybe I'm just a salty hunter, sorry if that is the case!

Well, this comes back to the comparing 1 to 1. We know that knives can't one hit. But if we are saying just "scoring a hit" then we can do better comparison. As for planning. How often do you see someone on the tracker and your next move is planned around throwing your knife? Or if you see someone and then duck to cover and then think about your next moves based around your knife? I know this is kinda hard to think about because as we have mentioned, they aren't OHKs.

I guess I feel like with a knife, you either lead with it or finish someone with it. Does that take skill? Totally! Does it take planning and foresight? Not in my mind. Shoulder charge has rarely ever been a "in the moment" strategy. It has always been a flanking, planned charging into someone ranks and secretly to keep from getting gunned down. In very few cases at close range I will try and get up to sprinting speed and circle around in hopes of hitting someone before I'm gunned down. More often it is me running away and turning a corner to try and turn around to turn the tide of a fight. All these scenarios take way more than "I hit a button because I panicked" Can you sprint around the map all the time and get random kills from running into people? Yeah! But more often than not against halfway decent players, you are going to be gunned down 80% of the time in my experience.

Indeed. These are all my experiences from playing a LOT of titan hours in many varied levels of experience.

Thanks for the well written response. I enjoy healthy conversations.

I did some processing last night with everyones input, Thanks everyone!

Seeing the risk/reward side, and level of commitment needed to shoulder charge I will concede its closer balanced than I rambled about yesterday.

I still believe hunter throwing knife could benefit from a buff to bring it closer to the other classes. Having to use a knife, dodge, and another knife to get a kill seems a little unfair when you lose your abilities hit or miss, and you have a larger room for error.

Too bad theres no crossplay, we could private match together and do some in game testing of our own. I wish I had the patience to do what Korny does with the videos.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Wednesday, October 24, 2018, 07:06 (2068 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Seeing the risk/reward side, and level of commitment needed to shoulder charge I will concede its closer balanced than I rambled about yesterday.

I still believe hunter throwing knife could benefit from a buff to bring it closer to the other classes. Having to use a knife, dodge, and another knife to get a kill seems a little unfair when you lose your abilities hit or miss, and you have a larger room for error.

Too bad theres no crossplay, we could private match together and do some in game testing of our own. I wish I had the patience to do what Korny does with the videos.

Yeah, I also think it needs a buff, but I worry about a buff that would give it a 1 hit kill only because of how "easy" it would be to go on a killing spree with just knives. I would be totally okay if it was something like, get a kill with a knife, the next one is a one hit kill or something like that :D

Or even 1 hit kill for a couple seconds after a dodge. I could see people comboing it and having fun. That would also make dodges more offensive too!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, October 24, 2018, 10:45 (2068 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Yeah, I also think it needs a buff, but I worry about a buff that would give it a 1 hit kill only because of how "easy" it would be to go on a killing spree with just knives. I would be totally okay if it was something like, get a kill with a knife, the next one is a one hit kill or something like that :D

Or even 1 hit kill for a couple seconds after a dodge. I could see people comboing it and having fun. That would also make dodges more offensive too!

Ok then why use a sniper rifle when a knife can 1 hit kill and has waaaaaay more aim assist? You can even get them back immediately on precision kill so you have unlimited ammo if you are good.

To me, knives are meant to finish off damaged opponents while you are in the air or when you are about to duck out.

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, October 24, 2018, 10:50 (2068 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Does anyone know offhand what the actual damage is in normalized PvP for a knife throw? Other than the new Knife Trick melee I’m pretty sure that a tap from a HC and a precision knife is enough for a kill. But I might be wrong. I wonder if the notion the knife is weak is more to do with feel over damage output.

by TheeChaos @, Wednesday, October 24, 2018, 11:00 (2068 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Not 100% but I know this: I have hit people with a non-precision knife throw and followed up with a melee and they survived. Meaning a knife throw to the body is weaker than a regular melee. I feel it should do at least the same, right?

Another repeating scenario: 1 body burst/shot and a precision Exploding knife hit, they still survived. It could just be high armor titans.

I just need to start recording, I dont have a reason not too, I just always don't think about it.

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, October 24, 2018, 11:09 (2068 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Interesting. Even high armor isn’t that much difference (there is a difference of 15 points between 0 and 10 armor) so a lot of things are balanced to have damage crests in that range. Reasons to have X Resilience for the current PvP Meta is usually based on those crests. So depending on how much health they had left is probably important.

But if those anecdotes are consistent then yeah that seems kinda weak for hits. More data is required to really assess.

by TheeChaos @, Wednesday, October 24, 2018, 11:27 (2068 days ago) @ Harmanimus

But if those anecdotes are consistent then yeah that seems kinda weak for hits. More data is required to really assess.

Agreed, I will start compiling some numbers. I never really focus on numbers, I just know what kills and what doesn't as far as Destiny. If this were Fortnite I would be very focused on the numbers as its far more important for teamwork v individual effort.

by TheeChaos @, Wednesday, October 24, 2018, 11:37 (2068 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Looks like a headshot knife will do 118 headshot damage. Once they are barely have any white left you can hit them with the throwing knife and kill them.

by Harmanimus @, Wednesday, October 24, 2018, 12:27 (2068 days ago) @ TheeChaos

Given that health (Red Bar) is 70 points and shields start at 116 and go up to 131 points at 10 Resilience. Precision probably matches close to a regular melee due to potential up time and the addition of range. But that means you need a minimum of 68 damage before a knife will finish a target. So a precision hit from some Hand Cannons would open that option up.

Bring back Year 1 Hawkmoon!

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Wednesday, October 24, 2018, 12:34 (2068 days ago) @ Harmanimus

But that means you need a minimum of 68 damage before a knife will finish a target. So a precision hit from some Hand Cannons would open that option up.

The good ol' days...

by Harmanimus @, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 12:08 (2069 days ago) @ TheeChaos

If you want to spam shoulder charge you have to lean really heavily into that playstyle. You have to precommit your exotic armor (Skullfort) and ensure that you have enough Resilience to survive your approach. If you can maneuver and flank the other team reliably while closing distance and using the map to your advantage, why not do it? Otherwise it’s however often you can get your melee up by cooldowns or what have you.

Alternatively if a Hunter were to max ability cooldown with either double knives or double dodges and full charge on precision kills? Lower risk and higher reward. Maybe the stick uppercut needs something else (or at least not to use the charge on a miss) but overally the Hunter is still more capable and flexible in PvP from a broad standpoint even leaning hard into theowing knives compared to a Titan leaning into Shoulder charge.

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Tuesday, October 23, 2018, 12:09 (2069 days ago) @ Harmanimus

If you want to spam shoulder charge you have to lean really heavily into that playstyle. You have to precommit your exotic armor (Skullfort) and ensure that you have enough Resilience to survive your approach. If you can maneuver and flank the other team reliably while closing distance and using the map to your advantage, why not do it? Otherwise it’s however often you can get your melee up by cooldowns or what have you.

Alternatively if a Hunter were to max ability cooldown with either double knives or double dodges and full charge on precision kills? Lower risk and higher reward. Maybe the stick uppercut needs something else (or at least not to use the charge on a miss) but overally the Hunter is still more capable and flexible in PvP from a broad standpoint even leaning hard into theowing knives compared to a Titan leaning into Shoulder charge.

For example, I'm scared shitless to use shoulder charge in competitive :)

Sure, it might work vs randoms, but someone who is skilled takes me out well before I am able to get within range.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread