This Week at Bungie 10-25-18 (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, October 25, 2018, 15:12 (2066 days ago)

The weekly update has been posted..

They kick things off with a costume contest. Put on a mask and play with your armor and shaders to make a costume. Take screenshot and submit it by the 31st. Ten best costumes will get an exclusive emblem.

They highlight some quality of life changes.

Banshee will take 25 Gunsmith Materials at a time instead of ten.

Mastework Cores are now Enhancement Cores. Six Spider bounties per week will reward cores.

Shader deletion time is .25 seconds instead of 1 second. You can carry 20 Ghost Fragments instead of ten.

Exotic duplicate fix stuff.

Gamibt will have Double Infamy from October 30th to November 2nd, and Triple Infamy from November 2nd to November 7th.

Refer-a-Friend is returning with some weird shaders as rewards.

Player Support Report and Movie of the Weed end the update as always.

This Week at Bungie 10-25-18

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, October 25, 2018, 16:02 (2066 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The removal of Quest Exotics from the loot pool with the current infusion system makes me very upset with whatever community slice asked for it.

Why?

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Thursday, October 25, 2018, 16:07 (2066 days ago) @ Harmanimus

- No text -

Why?

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Thursday, October 25, 2018, 16:47 (2066 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

Well, previously if you got a duplicate drop, it was possible to use that to infuse your old one, and it would only cost 5K glimmer. Now, you won't be getting dupes of these particular items, so anything you can use to infuse them is guaranteed to need "enhancement cores" as they're apparently called now. It's not the most critical scenario IMO, but it's a thing.

Why?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, October 25, 2018, 16:52 (2066 days ago) @ stabbim

Well, previously if you got a duplicate drop, it was possible to use that to infuse your old one, and it would only cost 5K glimmer. Now, you won't be getting dupes of these particular items, so anything you can use to infuse them is guaranteed to need "enhancement cores" as they're apparently called now. It's not the most critical scenario IMO, but it's a thing.

I don't think you ever needed masterwork cores on exotics anyway… or maybe that was just if you infuse an exotic into something else.

Why?

by EffortlessFury @, Thursday, October 25, 2018, 17:27 (2066 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I don't think you ever needed masterwork cores on exotics anyway… or maybe that was just if you infuse an exotic into something else.

I think it's cores, shards, and glimmer for infusing lower into higher quality, shards and glimmer into the same quality, and only glimmer for the same exact items.

I'm confused

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, October 25, 2018, 17:59 (2066 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

I think it's cores, shards, and glimmer for infusing lower into higher quality, shards and glimmer into the same quality, and only glimmer for the same exact items.

Why would you infuse into same quality?

I'm confused

by cheapLEY @, Thursday, October 25, 2018, 18:35 (2066 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Why would you infuse into same quality?

He means rarity. If you infuse an exotic into a legendary, you don't have to spend cores.

Yeah, rarity is sort of a B.S. descriptor...

by EffortlessFury @, Friday, October 26, 2018, 00:08 (2066 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I don't get Whites and Greens anymore. They are now the most rarest of rareables.

Yeah, rarity is sort of a B.S. descriptor...

by Harmanimus @, Friday, October 26, 2018, 09:14 (2066 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

Would “tier” be preferable?

Yeah but...

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, October 26, 2018, 07:21 (2066 days ago) @ stabbim

The drop rate isn't any worse. If anything the drop rate for GUNS might be worse so I guess that is a thing. But the whole point of this is that the drop rate for new things goes up. Year 1 stuff is still going to drop so you can still use that to infuse. I just feel like this is an overall win for drop rates. I mean, people are complaining that they don't get new weapons, and when they then improve that (not by much mind you), they complain about not getting enough infusion fodder? I guess it kinda confuses me as to while people can't just take a change for what it is.

Yeah but...

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, October 26, 2018, 07:30 (2066 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

So, 2 things:

1. I wasn't really trying to push Harmanimus' position, just explaining what I thought he probably meant.

2. It's a very specific complaint that only applies to certain quest exotics. It's possible for the overall drops in the game to be improved, YET also make those specific things more costly to infuse. Both things can be true at the same time.

Yeah but...

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, October 26, 2018, 07:32 (2066 days ago) @ stabbim

So, 2 things:

1. I wasn't really trying to push Harmanimus' position, just explaining what I thought he probably meant.

2. It's a very specific complaint that only applies to certain quest exotics. It's possible for the overall drops in the game to be improved, YET also make those specific things more costly to infuse. Both things can be true at the same time.

Yeah, I wasn't blaming anyone, I was just confused why Harmanimus sounded like this was a bad thing.

Yeah but...

by Speedracer513 @, Dallas, Texas, Friday, October 26, 2018, 08:35 (2066 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

So, 2 things:

Yeah, I wasn't blaming anyone, I was just confused why Harmanimus sounded like this was a bad thing.

Yeah, as someone who has put in well over a hundred hours since Forsaken, and having hit the 600 power level cap more than a week ago -- still without having a single solitary "new" (non-quest) exotic, I really can't grasp thinking that taking the quest-exotics out of the loot pool is a bad thing at all.

Yeah but...

by Harmanimus @, Friday, October 26, 2018, 09:20 (2066 days ago) @ Speedracer513

It’s just about removing Quest Exotics from the pool. That would not impact the drop rate of new Exotics as described (as you already possess them in your collection and thus they pull from your duplicate probability) but does impact the ease of infusion for those Quest Exotics.

For example, re: Infusion Costs, using a duplicate drop costs 5k Glimmer, Exotic to different Exotic is 8k glimmer, 5 Legendary Shards, 1 Enhancement Core, and 25 Planetary Materials. That is a material investment I’d rather put forward elsewhere.

Yeah but...

by MacAddictXIV @, Seattle WA, Friday, October 26, 2018, 09:30 (2066 days ago) @ Harmanimus

It’s just about removing Quest Exotics from the pool. That would not impact the drop rate of new Exotics as described (as you already possess them in your collection and thus they pull from your duplicate probability) but does impact the ease of infusion for those Quest Exotics.

I read this as, quest exotics have a completely different drop pool than all other exotics and because of that removing them wouldn't improve the new exotic drop rate. Am I reading this wrong? If I'm not what makes you think this is true? Because I've always thought that they were just added to the overall exotic pull, which would be Y1, Y2, and Duplicate exotics.

For example, re: Infusion Costs, using a duplicate drop costs 5k Glimmer, Exotic to different Exotic is 8k glimmer, 5 Legendary Shards, 1 Enhancement Core, and 25 Planetary Materials. That is a material investment I’d rather put forward elsewhere.

I understand that. I'm just surprised you are more worried about Legendary Shards and Enhancement cores when compared to the drop chance of new exotics. Because as Speed has said, he has had absolutely no problem with infusing things, but has received no new Exotics. And I can almost mirror that experience. I'm approaching max light and I have received 1 new exotic out of 10.

Anything to improved new exotic drop rate is helpful in my book.

Yeah but...

by Harmanimus @, Friday, October 26, 2018, 10:17 (2066 days ago) @ MacAddictXIV

The notes aren’t necessarily super clear. But I think we have a similar understanding. I’ve read them again and it seems like you may still be able to get duplicate Quest Exotics but not from random Engram drops. However, the way that the notes read to me was that they are making it so that duplicates are one bucket and Exotics not in your collection are another. So regardless of how many duplicates you have they are pulling from the same overall chance to drop; i.e., no matter how many exotics are in your dupe pool you still have the same chance of getting a new one.

So from the way it reads to me having Quest Exotics available in the Engram Pool is entirely separate from the Exotic Dupe protection meaning that the only impact removing them has is that you’re gonna need to spend more materials to infuse them - not that you will gain a higher chance of getting a new Exotic.

Full stop i could be misunderstanding their intent. But that’s how it reads to me.

Yeah but...

by cheapLEY @, Friday, October 26, 2018, 09:39 (2066 days ago) @ Harmanimus

You’re making a huge assumption that this “fix” is going to do to fuck-all, if past fixes for this issue are anything to go by. Removing quest exotics might honestly be the best thing about this, just by the nature of removing that number of weapons from the pool.

I’m hoping this patch works, but dupe protection isn’t going to do shit by itself, as I haven’t seen an exotic drop in well over a month, discounting the fated engram I buy every week.

Yeah but...

by Harmanimus @, Friday, October 26, 2018, 10:31 (2066 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Yes Exotic Drops in general haven’t felt very good. I have had better luck than a lot of folks. Haven’t gotten the Exotics I’ve wanted. But That doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t like to be able to inexpensively upgrade the ones I’ve done Quests for and would like to keep using.

But the assumption I am making based on the notes function with arbitrary numbers:

When you’re receiving an Exotic, we will take into account all Exotics you’ve found, and weight them against Exotics you have yet to acquire; this lowers the chances of receiving Exotics you already own

All Exotics you have found are a 50% chance, Exotics yet to acquire are a 50% chance. Regardless of how many are in each bucket.

Exotics that you do not yet own will be individually weighted much higher than duplicate Exotics

If you take the list of Exotics you don’t have and split it up the individual probability should be higher because there are less Forsaken Exotics.

Yes, the function assumes you have a certain volume of RW/CoO/W Exotics.

As said, I could be wrong in my understanding.

Yeah but...

by Robot Chickens, Friday, October 26, 2018, 12:26 (2066 days ago) @ Harmanimus

Yes Exotic Drops in general haven’t felt very good. I have had better luck than a lot of folks. Haven’t gotten the Exotics I’ve wanted. But That doesn’t mean that I wouldn’t like to be able to inexpensively upgrade the ones I’ve done Quests for and would like to keep using.

But the assumption I am making based on the notes function with arbitrary numbers:

When you’re receiving an Exotic, we will take into account all Exotics you’ve found, and weight them against Exotics you have yet to acquire; this lowers the chances of receiving Exotics you already own

All Exotics you have found are a 50% chance, Exotics yet to acquire are a 50% chance. Regardless of how many are in each bucket.

Exotics that you do not yet own will be individually weighted much higher than duplicate Exotics

If you take the list of Exotics you don’t have and split it up the individual probability should be higher because there are less Forsaken Exotics.

Yes, the function assumes you have a certain volume of RW/CoO/W Exotics.

As said, I could be wrong in my understanding.

I don't think you're wrong in your understanding. That being said, Bungie made it so you can easily buy back exotics. There's even a path to getting cores to upgrade them from Spider. These are all things that are in your your control as a player. RNG is not. You cannot buy back or use an exotic you have yet to earn. In my opinion, that should be prioritized above everything else. As such, removing quest exotics from the loot pool is a huge win in my mind. The only time could see myself feeling differently is if I already had all the exotics.

Yeah but...

by Harmanimus @, Friday, October 26, 2018, 13:23 (2066 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

Buy back is still below your average so you would still have to invest the materials to get it to full power.

And I’ll definitely concede that the increase of material access will be a good thing, but that’s a band-aid on a bullet hole. The costs of a lot of the processes in the current game economy are pretty harsh. I have a lot of issues with the overall economy, but if Quest Exotics you already have don’t impact your rate for new Exotics pulling them out of the loot pool is an awkward change that - unless the intent and function of these changes are not being correctly understood - doesn’t impact you getting New Exotics.

Yeah but...

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Saturday, October 27, 2018, 02:03 (2065 days ago) @ Harmanimus

but that’s a band-aid on a bullet hole.

[image]

OTTERMACK

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, October 25, 2018, 16:08 (2066 days ago) @ cheapLEY

The weekly update has been posted..

They kick things off with a costume contest. Put on a mask and play with your armor and shaders to make a costume. Take screenshot and submit it by the 31st. Ten best costumes will get an exclusive emblem.

OMG Ottermack you can win this!

This Week at Bungie 10-25-18

by Funkmon @, Friday, October 26, 2018, 05:03 (2066 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Movie of the Weed

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread