The Forest *OT* (Off-Topic)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Monday, November 12, 2018, 14:11 (1984 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Korny, Monday, November 12, 2018, 14:47

Thanks for posting that. I might check it out. I always like the idea of survival games more than I end up liking actually playing them though. State of Decay 2 wore thin after just a few hours. Even Subnautica, which I think is really interesting and fun, mostly due to its setting, gets stale more quickly than I would have thought. Subnsutica is a standout in that it does have an interesting story to follow, but I got lost in the tedium at a certain point and got bored. Most survival games feel even more aimless than that.

Yeah, I don't know what it is. State of Decay has co-op, but it just didn't feel fun, or like it added to the experience.
The thing about the Forest is that Co-op feels necessary.
There are very few co-op survival games (Minecraft technically being the most well-known), and the fact that the Forest feels built around it really helps. Solo, you won't make it very long, and like all solo survival games, progress is frustrating, because you're juggling the need to feed, explore, build, and fight all over the course of a couple dozen precious minutes of daylight, and you will never have enough time to really get into the base-building, because it's just not worth investing time into it.

In co-op, though, dividing workloads helps a lot, and feels like you're really able to pick and choose what you'd like to work towards for the day. My brother and I have had quite literal watercooler moments this past week where we talk about the events and shenanigans that unfolded the night before. Maybe I'll stream a bit soon.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread