I wonder how it works with a SuperNT (Gaming)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Saturday, December 08, 2018, 14:02 (1960 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Have you played around with one? I'm really interested in your thoughts on it...

SuperNT site

Skeptical for two reasons.

One is the price… I could buy five real SNES consoles for that.

Second is the 1080p output. That means it is upscaling the image. Does it have an analog unscaled output? These games were not meant to be seen on progressive LCD displays.

Send me a review unit and I’ll be happy to fully test it out :-p

Haha I'll let you know when I pick one up. Waiting to re-acquire my SNES cartridges from friends and family before diving in.

re: 1080p output, it sounds like it has quite a few options for tweaking that, here from polygon's review.

The Super NT excels in its digital output, though, delivering a crisp 1080p image. It features an assortment of enhancements, delivered via a live, in-game menu that feels a bit like a time machine. Being able to pause a game, enter a menu that’s also running on what is effectively Super Nintendo hardware, and adjust the resolution, scanlines, scalers or aspect ratio, and then pop back into your game, is a treat. The Super NT is also designed to ameliorate the jump from analog to digital displays. There’s a gamma boost feature to help brighten the image once you’ve toggled the scanlines on, and a “pseudo-hi-res” feature to help simulate some of the ways CRTs affected images in games. The options can get you in the weeds pretty quickly, but trust that you can turn the thing on and, right out of the box, get an excellent experience. If you want to dial the knobs, it’s all there. But let’s go back to something that isn’t there.

Here's a video of someone exploring the options available:

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread