My Destiny (Destiny)

by Harmanimus @, Thursday, January 24, 2019, 13:32 (1912 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Dest1ny fed into itself in ways that Des2ny has never approached. There was a general rounding of edges (I hesitate to call it dumbing down) from D1 to D2. Enemy factions were simplified. Characters were simplified. Gear was simplified. Progression was simplified. The broader systemic structures of D1 that allowed people to engage and experience at various levels have never been a major player in D2.

I know not everyone agrees on all these points, but the way they interacted in D1 had a certain level of engagement which allowed, for me, the game to really feel deep. While there are some changes in D2 that are greatly welcome (Mods and Masterwork - while not reaching their overall potential - are solid additiona to the toolbox) there are other which have been a hinderance (Streamlining of subclasses, nerfing of abilities overall, simplification of gear, to include less perk variety and limited weapon identity - though it is getting better) to feeling like they have the same magic D1 caught. I think translating D1 content into D2 would be the best way for Bungie to strengthen Destiny as a whole, though I would, personally, also like to see them bring back some of D1’s systems that just feel better than they have in D2.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread