I can’t believe this! (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Thursday, October 17, 2019, 11:17 (1661 days ago) @ Xenos

No. Explaining this is beyond the scope of a forum reply, if you are going to judge it based on this and actually want to learn you need to go do the research. Variables do not apply on an instruction level, variables are for a programming level. Designing a universal library is totally possible, and it will be roughly double the size of the 64 bit library. So rather than force you to install an extra large library to support a tiny fraction of programs the libraries are typically divided to help the user. The problem is you’re thinking of this from a software perspective when the real problem is the hardware. 64 bit processors can only use 64 bit instructions. It doesn’t matter if the OS converts it for the processor the hardware still only takes 64 bit.

I see. I'll definitely read up because this is quite fascinating. At least 64 bit is so big we'll never have to move beyond it and transition again… right? :-p

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread