Learning to love Linear Fusion Rifles (Destiny)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Monday, December 16, 2019, 09:25 (1564 days ago) @ Blackt1g3r
edited by CruelLEGACEY, Monday, December 16, 2019, 09:29

The problem I have with LFRs is what do they do that a sniper rifle doesn't do better? (With the exception of the Arbalest in PvE.) Not to say that they aren't fun as I've had a lot of fun killing people with the Arbalest.

That was my exact take on them as well. But after spending some more time with them, I’ve found there is a subtle but meaningful difference. Linear Fusion Rifles have substantially less zoom than any Sniper Rifle, which makes them easier to use in less-than-extremely-long-range situations. So for players like me who like to run-and-gun, or generally play more aggressively, a Linear Fusion Rifle might be easier to use. Of course, this only really applies to Arbalest, since it’s the only LFR that uses special ammo, making it a more direct alternative to sniper rifles. Most LFRs take power ammo, which makes them even more niche. They do get 5 shots from a single heavy brick, so their ammo economy is quite good.

All that said, I still think that someone who truly masters sniping in PvP will be more dangerous in any situation than someone using an LFR. But I’d also argue that at the absolute top-end of play, Sniper Rifles are utterly dominant. A master-level sniper can beat any other weapon at any range.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread