Enough guessing (Gaming)

by Vortech @, A Fourth Wheel, Saturday, April 25, 2020, 15:25 (1461 days ago) @ squidnh3

Bungie has a page that explains what they want to sell you.

Last Wish, scourge and Crown of sorrow require forsaken. Garden Requires Shadowkeep. All earlier raids are free content.

Shattered throne needs Forsaken; Pit of sorrow requires Shadowkeep.

There are also some gear and weapons that will not drop unless you buy expansions.

--

None of the above things require Season passes, and season pass activities (which only sometimes exist and are distinct from the free to all seasonal events) and gear are only available while the season is active. The vast majority of the seasonal gear is cosmetic, but the pre-determined gear unlocks sometimes also include gear introduced as new in a season but available from random drops. The Cosmetic items do not show up in random drops. You must play to get items from the season pass level progression, and AFAIK you can't buy your way into season pass items. You get access to the current season pass whenever you buy one of the expansions listed above. Some gear is not available from the season pass progression but will only be available from drops or bounties during that season. (I can only think of Mods, here?) Some weapons and gear are introduced in a season, but continue to be part of the loot pool after the season ends (I'm thinking mostly of exotics)

--

I had never really considered the idea that I paid for something but didn't get to have it because the season changed. I don't think it feels all that different to me than when I missed out on one of the free events because I was too busy (Arbalest was but a dream for me for a while) But I do now see how it is, now that you mention it. I never felt like I was buying those items with my season pass money, though. I don't feel like they are owed to me. I don't know. In general I have felt it was a bit odd for them to lock out content based on date. The game is - in general - better for having more in it, though obviously more gear leads to balancing issues and more activities leads to matchmaking issues.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread