Ghost of Tsushima (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, July 20, 2020, 21:42 (1375 days ago) @ cheapLEY

It's also the first open world game that I can recall that works without a mini-map (there's not even an option to turn one on). The game directs you to your destination with the wind. When I first saw videos of it, I thought it looked silly and like a bad gimmick, but it's not. The world is filled with leaves, grass, pollen, embers, flowers, etc. Everything blows in the wind, and the wind always blows towards your destination. The wind kicks up dead leaves and grass and pollen, so there's always an easy trail to follow, but it seems very natural and looks amazing. If you need a little more direction, you can swipe up on the touchpad, and the wind will gust really hard for a few seconds to give you a stronger indication of direction, and it will also do that whenever you set a new destination. It's a truly amazing feature, and probably the one real innovation the game brings to the table.

Probably my #1 complaint about most open world games is the map with the line and dot or waypoint just telling you where to go. Blindly following it without taking in the world to guide you.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread