Getting Raid Ready: The Road to 1230 (Destiny)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, November 13, 2020, 09:44 (1415 days ago)

At the moment I'm at 1215 and just completed the campaign on my first Alt.

I feel like hitting 1230 by saturday week is doable and am just wondering how other folks are going and what tips they have?

I'm just doing the standard level 1 character and then the alts, using the season pass armor slots when a particular slot needs a boost.

Debating not even finishing the campaign on my 3rd alt and just focusing on weeklys once it hits 1200 from running the campaign. Hell, would even consider just not running the campaign at all on it depending how close it is to the soft cap and doing a leisurely run through of the campaign a 3rd final time.

Anywho, hope everyone is doing well!

Getting Raid Ready: The Road to 1230

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, November 13, 2020, 10:18 (1415 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I feel like hitting 1230 by saturday week is doable and am just wondering how other folks are going and what tips they have?

I'm just doing the standard level 1 character and then the alts, using the season pass armor slots when a particular slot needs a boost.

Debating not even finishing the campaign on my 3rd alt and just focusing on weeklys once it hits 1200 from running the campaign. Hell, would even consider just not running the campaign at all on it depending how close it is to the soft cap and doing a leisurely run through of the campaign a 3rd final time.

Question! I've been focusing on my main exclusively. What I am wondering is, which story beats are per character, and which story beats are per account? In Season 10 ("Season of the Worthy") for example, the opening of the Seraph Bunkers were per account. Once they were opened, they were open. You only saw the fanfare of their opening once.

I'm wondering if there is anything like that for this Season as well?

I ask this, as it's a pretty solid known that by utilizing the feature of all three characters chances of power and pinnacle drops, you can help push up your light even more. (Technically if I wanted to be the most efficient with this technique, I would have needed to start on a character which wasn't my main, but... eh, fun comes first dang it!)

I don't know how much of a slog this would be, and it would be nice for a heads up so I can account accordingly. I'm almost finished most story beets on my main. Well, for the week anyway.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, November 13, 2020, 11:10 (1414 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Question! I've been focusing on my main exclusively. What I am wondering is, which story beats are per character, and which story beats are per account? In Season 10 ("Season of the Worthy") for example, the opening of the Seraph Bunkers were per account. Once they were opened, they were open. You only saw the fanfare of their opening once.

I'm wondering if there is anything like that for this Season as well?

I ask this, as it's a pretty solid known that by utilizing the feature of all three characters chances of power and pinnacle drops, you can help push up your light even more. (Technically if I wanted to be the most efficient with this technique, I would have needed to start on a character which wasn't my main, but... eh, fun comes first dang it!)

I don't know how much of a slog this would be, and it would be nice for a heads up so I can account accordingly. I'm almost finished most story beets on my main. Well, for the week anyway.

I would assume that the Season Hunt story beats are per account and that Beyond Light specific things are per character. So I think everything you can experience before Tuesday is Character specific?

There are things like exotic/pinnacle quest progress that is per account from what I can tell?

by cheapLEY @, Friday, November 13, 2020, 10:32 (1415 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Are you 1215 Base power, or total (with artifact). Remember the Artifact is disabled for contest mode, so you need to be looking at base power.

I’m currently at 1210 Base, and i’m starting my second character.

Correction: Currently 1209

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, November 13, 2020, 11:08 (1414 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Are you 1215 Base power, or total (with artifact). Remember the Artifact is disabled for contest mode, so you need to be looking at base power.

I’m currently at 1210 Base, and i’m starting my second character.

Good catch

K, now 2011 and 7/8s

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Friday, November 13, 2020, 14:45 (1414 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

O.O

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, November 13, 2020, 17:31 (1414 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

by squidnh3, Friday, November 13, 2020, 11:20 (1414 days ago) @ kidtsunami

It's a slow-go so far, I think I just finished the campaign on my first character. Hoping to be able to make a lot more progress over the weekend. Hopefully Survival is a useful for leveling as I hope.

by cheapLEY @, Friday, November 13, 2020, 22:25 (1414 days ago) @ squidnh3

My Warlock ended up at 1212. My Hunter is now 1210, and I haven’t done a single weekly powerful yet. 1230 should be doable by next weekend fairly easily.

I say “easily” but I’ve already played a crapload of Destiny this week, so it’s definitely a grind still.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, November 14, 2020, 11:48 (1413 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I am not as far along as would have liked, but I think I've done well considering I've taken a mindful yet passive approach to leveling. Well, sans the Lost Sector runs to push up to the soft cap in a hurry.

As of yesterday evening, I'm @ 1213 Total. That's 1207 with +6 Artifact. Still a long ways to go, especially since I had to use up the Gambit Pinnacle to finish leveling up the Status abilities for this week. Dumb game design is dumb. I've played quite a few Strikes, but I've not seen many powerful drops at all. Maybe it's ordeal only? I only recently played this weeks Ordeal, so things may change. Of Strikes, I need to play only one more strike with a matching elemental burn (which changes daily it seems) to get a Pinnacle, and of course there is the 100k Pinnacle that probably isn't going to happen this week.

I can't play any more Basic PvP unless I want to get a Pinnacle, because dumb game design is dumb. I can play 6 more games of Survival in ranked if I want to get a powerful though! Too bad I don't really gravitate towards that.

I also have some Powerfuls waiting in the tower.

And that is where I am as of yesterday evening.

Sidenote: Y'all look at this PvP Godroll I got for my Bow! This sucker (should be able to) one shot with proc'd perk! :D

Biting Winds: Elastic String - Fiberglass Arrow Shaft - Moveing Target - Sawashbuckler - Draw Time Masterwork ^_^

by squidnh3, Saturday, November 14, 2020, 14:30 (1413 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

I can't play any more Basic PvP unless I want to get a Pinnacle, because dumb game design is dumb.

It's not like you are going to get to 1250 before the weekly reset, so why not just grab it?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, November 14, 2020, 15:28 (1413 days ago) @ squidnh3

I can't play any more Basic PvP unless I want to get a Pinnacle, because dumb game design is dumb.

It's not like you are going to get to 1250 before the weekly reset, so why not just grab it?

Eh. It was bad enough using up one so early. That said, come Monday reset... it's gone.

So... I may have over done it.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, November 21, 2020, 22:43 (1406 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

*shock /s*...lol.

So, uh. Hmm. Not sure how I did it, but... final end of day tally (quoting from D.I.M);

1261⅛ = 1249⅛ + 12

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Well... Guess I'll go to bed and sleep now. Ta!

1206 Total

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, November 14, 2020, 12:57 (1413 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Hope to finish campaign tonight, possibly start character 2. If anyone sees me on and wants to check in to advise/help, feel free.

1212 base +8

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, November 17, 2020, 11:09 (1410 days ago) @ Kermit

I'm 1210 on my warlock. I think he would have easily passed my hunter but I ran out of time/gas at 2 am this morning.

My plan was to start with him this week (but he just started the campaign) and I realize I should probably start with my highest and switch back.

Making progress

by squidnh3, Sunday, November 15, 2020, 06:53 (1413 days ago) @ kidtsunami

1209 now. Finished a few more campaign things yesterday, then went into normal Crucible. With 3 blue drops per game, that quickly got me to 1200. Then another 3 hours of Survival plus some Primes and 8-bounty powerfuls got me to 1209. Plan seems to be working so far.

Also, I just discovered that if you didn't claim the armor off of last season's season pass, you can on Bungie.net and you can use them to fill slots lagging behind. Very useful if you haven't yet unlocked the slot drop you need for this season.

1220+7

by squidnh3, Tuesday, November 17, 2020, 12:35 (1410 days ago) @ squidnh3

1220 base now. Single character only, I've played a lot of Survival this week (but not too much). At this rate I won't be burnt out by the time we actually start the raid.

1218 base on my Hunter now.

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, November 15, 2020, 13:03 (1412 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Still need the Nightfall and Nightfall 100K for her. I think I’m going to call it good, though, switch back to my Warlock and do the fragment quests and stuff.

1224 base (1233 with artifact)

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Monday, November 16, 2020, 13:44 (1411 days ago) @ kidtsunami

1224 base (1233 with artifact) on my second character with a couple pinnacles left for tonight. I'll have very little time to work on my 3rd toon tonight before reset. :(

Gambit seems to be the way to go for world drops in between powerful drops. Don't forget the ghost mods (Blinding light and Prosperity (Gambit)

Real SGA there: Prosperity Ghost mods

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Tuesday, November 17, 2020, 05:44 (1411 days ago) @ Chappy

- No text -

What's the math on Gambit being the best?

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, November 17, 2020, 06:51 (1411 days ago) @ Chappy

- No text -

What's the math on Gambit being the best?

by Chappy, Arlington, VA., Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 08:18 (1410 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Personal experience and some online guides; Gambit usually drops 2-3 blues and a purple after each ~10 minute match, with a chance that one of those drops at level. Most strikes (other than lake of shadows) take longer. Crucible is about the same a gambit, but the rank ups add powerful drops that you may not want to receive at that moment - you could waste one.

K I've been running it since your advice, and yeah, I agree

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 11:47 (1409 days ago) @ Chappy

- No text -

Letting drops "cook" is there a definitive guide?

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, November 17, 2020, 07:36 (1411 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Like I get not completing weekly challenges too early since that drop just hits you directly.

And right now I'm waiting on finishing up my Bounty based challenges by holding onto the completed bounty. But it's weird since they result in an engram that I have to turn in?

Also I finished up the new chaperone quest yesterday and left it with Amanda, will it go up if I leave it?

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, November 17, 2020, 07:59 (1411 days ago) @ kidtsunami

I don’t know the best math, but I let the bounty challenge engrams cook as long as possible. The UI still says they’re only Tier 1 Powerfuls, but they’ve all been just as large a jump as any Pinnacle. So I get the Pinnacle from doing the three activities and let the bounty one cook, then I just play and try to get all my gaps filled in. Then I pick up one of those cooked engrams, then play and fill in any gaps as close as possible, then repeat.

Just playing to fill in gaps is far more beneficial now than it was before (since you can’t use tokens anymore). My Warlock ended at 1212. My Hunter then ended at 1218. I only have the 100K nightfall available on both. After I finished my Hunter, I went back to my Warlock to do post campaign stuff and some Crucible, and she’s now back in the lead at 1220 or 1221

I think the key is to wait on the filling in gaps

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, November 17, 2020, 09:45 (1411 days ago) @ cheapLEY

I don’t know the best math, but I let the bounty challenge engrams cook as long as possible. The UI still says they’re only Tier 1 Powerfuls, but they’ve all been just as large a jump as any Pinnacle. So I get the Pinnacle from doing the three activities and let the bounty one cook, then I just play and try to get all my gaps filled in. Then I pick up one of those cooked engrams, then play and fill in any gaps as close as possible, then repeat.

Just playing to fill in gaps is far more beneficial now than it was before (since you can’t use tokens anymore). My Warlock ended at 1212. My Hunter then ended at 1218. I only have the 100K nightfall available on both. After I finished my Hunter, I went back to my Warlock to do post campaign stuff and some Crucible, and she’s now back in the lead at 1220 or 1221

I approached it from a "powerful drops" are what I need and powered through all of them this past week not bothering to play to fill them in. In retrospect that really hampered me.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, November 17, 2020, 10:19 (1411 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Yeah, it for sure did, given the power levels you gave last night. Filling in the gaps can often give you 1 or 2 power levels, depending on how many low slots you have, and doing that will also increase the power of your next Powerful by an equal amount, so it can really snowball.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, November 17, 2020, 11:03 (1410 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Yeah, it for sure did, given the power levels you gave last night. Filling in the gaps can often give you 1 or 2 power levels, depending on how many low slots you have, and doing that will also increase the power of your next Powerful by an equal amount, so it can really snowball.

I should have joined you guys, but I was paranoid about getting everything even before my next powerful drops.

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, November 17, 2020, 12:08 (1410 days ago) @ Kermit

I also think you can overthink it. Crucible is a good way to power up. You may have gained more doing that with us than by focusing on evening out the rest of your slots, but it’s hard to tell.

There are definitely tools and spreadsheets out there. I saw one on reddit last week, but I’ve just come to accept that if I ever really need a tool like that, I will have to reevaluate if I want to play at all.

by squidnh3, Tuesday, November 17, 2020, 08:03 (1411 days ago) @ kidtsunami

Like I get not completing weekly challenges too early since that drop just hits you directly.

And right now I'm waiting on finishing up my Bounty based challenges by holding onto the completed bounty. But it's weird since they result in an engram that I have to turn in?

Also I finished up the new chaperone quest yesterday and left it with Amanda, will it go up if I leave it?

As a general rule of thumb, powerful drops are most likely to be useful when all your gear is approximately the same level. In that sense it doesn't really matter whether you use the powerful drops "late" or "early" in the week, what you want is for them to occur at the right times with your gear distribution.

The most important thing to avoid when leveling is getting a powerful drop in your "leading" slot, because that's when it's least effective, especially if your leading slot is well ahead of your other slots. If you have that situation, you want to fill in your other slots with normal drops prior to activating a powerful. For example, if your gear average is 1212-6/8 on DIM, and you have a class item that's 1210, that's a great time to consider pulling a class item out of your season pass. It will drop at 1212, and push your average up to 1213, which is essentially giving you +1 on your next powerful drop.

In this way, having a dedicated slot powerful drop is extremely effective (if it does go up as you wait, which I can't confirm but seems highly likely). To get the most use out of it, you should wait until your primary weapon slot is the lowest value of your gear, and then grab it, giving you the most bang for your buck in terms of power increase.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, November 17, 2020, 11:00 (1410 days ago) @ squidnh3

As a general rule of thumb, powerful drops are most likely to be useful when all your gear is approximately the same level. In that sense it doesn't really matter whether you use the powerful drops "late" or "early" in the week, what you want is for them to occur at the right times with your gear distribution.

The most important thing to avoid when leveling is getting a powerful drop in your "leading" slot, because that's when it's least effective, especially if your leading slot is well ahead of your other slots. If you have that situation, you want to fill in your other slots with normal drops prior to activating a powerful. For example, if your gear average is 1212-6/8 on DIM, and you have a class item that's 1210, that's a great time to consider pulling a class item out of your season pass. It will drop at 1212, and push your average up to 1213, which is essentially giving you +1 on your next powerful drop.

This happened to me. I had a high cloak relative to everything else. What are the odds? I got a cloak one higher. I thought I would cry.

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, November 17, 2020, 13:24 (1410 days ago) @ Kermit

This happened to me. I had a high cloak relative to everything else. What are the odds? I got a cloak one higher. I thought I would cry.

I actually think the odds are pretty good - because they're fixed by Bungie. It happens too often that if you've got one super-high thing, that your next super-high thing is in the same category for it to be pure RNG. I think there might be some weighting.

(Happened to me a couple of nights ago. Chestpiece was higher than everything else, by at least +3 - got a pinnacle drop, it was a chestpiece.)

K, quest rewards like Amanda's Chaperone match your LL

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, November 17, 2020, 11:33 (1410 days ago) @ squidnh3

In this way, having a dedicated slot powerful drop is extremely effective (if it does go up as you wait, which I can't confirm but seems highly likely). To get the most use out of it, you should wait until your primary weapon slot is the lowest value of your gear, and then grab it, giving you the most bang for your buck in terms of power increase.

Last night if I picked it up would have been 2017, got a new level, and now it's 2018... so keep that in mind!

Which bounties give Powerful Gear?

by EffortlessFury @, Saturday, November 28, 2020, 11:48 (1399 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, November 28, 2020, 12:13 (1399 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

Lots of them.

Doing 8 Bounties for Zavala, Shaxx, Drifter, Banshee, and Variks will all give you a Powerful. You can hold off on picking up the rewards until you have a roughly equal power level in every slot for maximum growth.

Stuff like the Empire Hunts, weapon quests from Variks, and Wrathborn hunts are especially helpful for bringing up low slots, as you can see exactly which reward you will get from those activities.

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, November 28, 2020, 15:50 (1399 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

If you are trying to level up, and want to keep track of what gear comes from what activities (and what you have left to do this week that will maximize your growth), this website is invaluable:

https://www.d2checklist.com/

Hit the Sign In button in the top right to authenticate with Bungie, then click 'My Info' (just below the sign in button). The first tab (Milestones) lists every powerful+ reward available each week, in descending order of power, along with an indication of how far along you are in completing it.

Along with Braytech, DIM, and Destiny Power Bars, it's in the pantheon of websites that make Destiny considerably better than it is alone.

+3 Powerful stategy question

by marmot 1333 @, Sunday, November 29, 2020, 12:32 (1398 days ago) @ Claude Errera

When is the best time to cash in the powerful rewards, the +3s specifically?

Say I have some +3 rewards waiting and ready to be cashed in.

Supposed that I am 7/8 of the way to the next point. This includes a -1 in one slot and two +3s.

My question is kind of two parts: optimization and the actual process by which to increase that -1.

1) Should I do activities in the world and until I fill in my -1 slot, so that my overall average increases to the next whole point, and those +3s's into +2's? Waiting would mean that the +3 reward has an 8/8 chance of being an improvement as opposed to the current 6/8 chance (two slots are already +3).

2) Do patrols/PEs/Lost Sectors/messing around on Europa or other destinations actually give at-level drops like this where my -1 would increase to my average? Or do I need to do playlist activities like Gambit, Strikes, Crucible? I can't tell if it is just RNG but it seems like often my lowest slot doesn't get filled in by world activities.

I just remembered that there is a soft cap. Is it at 1230? I am only at 1225 right now. How does that change these decisions?

+3 Powerful stategy question

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, November 29, 2020, 13:42 (1398 days ago) @ marmot 1333

The soft cap is 1250. At that point, only Pinnacles will raise your level and Powerfuls will be at level to fill low spots.

In your situation, I would try to fill your low spot by doing Europa activities or Wrathborn hunts, where you can pick the activity that will reward the appropriate slot. No guarantee those will drop on level, but they definitely can.

It’s about how much time you want to spend. The smartest thing might just be to cash in the powerfuls you have a quit worrying about it, which is what I usually end up doing.

Sooner than I expected...

by Claude Errera @, Tuesday, November 17, 2020, 13:09 (1410 days ago) @ kidtsunami

[image]

I pulled one powerful this morning (Variks' 8-bounty reward) to hit this. Still have quite a number left.

I thought it would take at least another few days.

Thanks for all the SGA: At 1224 Base

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, November 17, 2020, 19:16 (1410 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, November 17, 2020, 22:25 (1410 days ago) @ kidtsunami

All I’ve done is the new season stuff from Crow, so I’ll be well above 1230, maybe even close to 1240 if I hit up my Hunter too.

I'm going to see where I get without even touching my alts

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 06:01 (1410 days ago) @ cheapLEY

- No text -

1226.5 before Crucible/Vanguard Pinnacles/Powerfuls

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, November 18, 2020, 11:48 (1409 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

Just hit 1230!!!

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Thursday, November 19, 2020, 17:06 (1408 days ago) @ kidtsunami

- No text -

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread