This kind of stuff always irks me. (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Tuesday, December 01, 2020, 11:57 (1235 days ago) @ Korny

I am sure this was great for Robert, and it obviously meant a lot to him so I won't take that away.

However, gay characters have long been in the background when included. Either unimportant to the story, or as fascination / humor for the other characters or audience. In some ways this actually minimizes them. Not on an individual story basis, but collectively. If you're gay and all you see are gay people with small story roles, or are otherwise on the offshoots of the story, then it re-enforces the notion that they themselves are minor in society. Granted Cruel is right; Destiny has barely any story anyway so it's not much of a slight.

However I very much doubt Bungie would actually make a game with an LGBTQ main character, or have a relationship exist prominently and be of vital importance to the story. I mean, you can play as non-binary in the New Call of Duty Cold War. Call of Duty! Where Reagan is ordering you around, at a time when he didn't give a shit about gay or trans people, and they couldn't even BE in the military!

May I remind you you have two choices for your guardian: male or female.

So forgive me if I don't see this as really that bold. I wouldn't hold this up as an example of Bungie being super progressive. It's buried away in the lore and not even part of the main audiovisual presentation. It's absolutely FINE, but it's kind of the bare minimum above "don't have gay characters at all". But it's not wrong either, as not every story has to be about someone gay.

So it just is, and it made a big difference to this guy, but not really on the cultural level.

P.S. I finally got windows working to play Tell Me Why.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread