Bigger is better, but only in the right places (Gaming)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, December 23, 2020, 16:13 (1220 days ago) @ cheapLEY
edited by Cody Miller, Wednesday, December 23, 2020, 16:17

I do like the micro choices about how to accomplish whatever objective, even if it doesn’t really matter at the end of the day. As far as I can tell, methodology for completing a goal never matters. No one ever comes for revenge because I killed their entire crew posted up in the warehouse, so it doesn’t matter if I actually managed to sneak in and compete the mission without anyone ever noticing I was there.

But see, Deus Ex at least would acknowledge your choice. If you didn't kill anyone, Navarre would be like "Wow, you didn't kill anyone" and if you mowed down everyone, she'd be like "I knew you were a killer". Doesn't change the story trajectory, but it at least validates your chosen style and accomplishment.

Heck, you can get yelled at for going into the woman's bathroom. Mere one off comments on your actions can have a big effect added up over the course of the game. It's enough to just have the game say "I noticed what you did, even if it doesn't really change anything".

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread