two points make a line… (Gaming)

by CruelLEGACEY @, Toronto, Thursday, February 04, 2021, 06:53 (1149 days ago) @ EffortlessFury

Cody's point is that the increase in share did not accelerate so the trend did not seem to be affected by people staying at home. And that makes sense to me. I don't think people make Physical/digital game decisions based on whether they planned to go to the mall, and people are having a lot of physical goods shipped to their home even when they are staying home.

Also, I'm really not sure why you are excluding Nintendo. They have a fully functioning eStore; it has all the physical games and more; everyone I know who has a switch uses the eStore as much as physical — if not exclusively; ACNH taught a whole wave of people that nothing's ever sold out on digital and now they have a fully set up account with a credit card already on file; Increasing or adding storage on the Switch is easier and cheaper than on the other consoles; Switch games will make a higher profit margin gain by switching to digital because cards cost more than discs to manufacture. They can't get their head out of the ground when it comes to online play, but they have e-commerce that's industry level.

I mean, we'll never know, but it's entirely possible that it may not have moved much at all without the pandemic.

If anything, I suspect the sales most effected by the pandemic would be used games, as they are more dependant on physically going to the store. I have no idea what percentage of all physical game sales are used, but I wouldn’t be surprised if the reduction in physical sales is much greater than being reported, were we to factor in used sales.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread