Destinations Need to Evolve (Destiny)

by cheapLEY @, Tuesday, March 16, 2021, 17:00 (1130 days ago)

I just watched this video, and I think it's got some decent ideas.

I've been thinking about this a lot lately, especially after playing so much of The Division 2, which does so much of this stuff pretty well. It has the advantage of having one big map, instead of a bunch of smaller ones, so everything feels a lot more seemless. It's really nice to feel like I'm out doing stuff in the world, rather than just hitting up different playlists.

The TLDR for what I've seen of the video is to reissue all the planetary gear, and add the Crucible and Gambit Reputation Rewards system to each planet to be reset every season. So you would have a reason to do planetary activities to work towards good rolls of that reissued gear.

The next idea is to also bring back the Flashpoint system, with double Reputation for the week. It would also apply a version of the Contest modifier to that entire planet for the week. HVTs would become Champions. Public Events would be replaced by random World Bosses, stuff like Urzok (although I assume more difficult) and the Taken Bosses that were added for the Taken War quest. That planet would also be where the Master and Legend Lost Sectors were for the week.

As it stands now, the game feels like the new Destination becomes the default zone for a time with the only relevant content, with every other Destination becoming functionally useless except for random quests steps and bounties. I think these ideas would go a long way towards fixing that, and making the actual worlds in the game just as relevant as playlist hopping.

Ideas like this are why I wish they would have just made a Destiny 3. Restructuring the entire game is unlikely to happen at this point, but I'd love to see a version of Destiny with it incorporated. The lack of any real reason to be in Patrol has always been a real bummer for Destiny for me, and I desperately wish it wasn't the case.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread