I think we might have our first truly great adaptation here (Gaming)

by cheapLEY @, Monday, March 22, 2021, 17:05 (1130 days ago) @ CruelLEGACEY

Of course, it’s totally possible that the answer to my question is simply “a wider audience”. I have plenty of friends with whom I wanted to share TLoU because I thought they’d really enjoy it, but they aren’t gamers. And as I discovered, those YouTube “games as movies” videos don’t do it justice. Maybe this adaptation will be close enough to allow non-gamers to experience it decently well.

I think that's all in needs to be. People are too hung up on adaptations.

Does Peter Jackson's The Lord of the Rings need to exist? Is it as good as the books were? No and no, but it's still worth existing and experiencing for its own sake.

I think this is the perfect candidate for a good adaption. I also agree that the gameplay is tied into the story in both themes and atmosphere in a way that almost no other game I've played has done. I don't think that gameplay is essential to the themes, atmosphere, or story, though. I think film can capture all of those things just as well, if not better in some ways. There's plenty of segments of that game that do feel like just filler, like every single time I had to find a ladder or plank or pallet for Ellie.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread