Oh man, it's been the funny part of GDC the past few years (Gaming)

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Tuesday, May 04, 2021, 06:21 (1087 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I've been learning about NFTs and blockchain technology, mostly since I'm super curious because it's all so incredibly stupid and environmentally destructive.

It occurred to me that it's probably inevitable that game developers are going to start implementing blockchain items. You could trade items with other players safely, or even trade items between games (You could trade someone an item in WoW for a card in Hearthstone for example). In that sense I can see it being beneficial to players. Say I quit Destiny and want to start playing another game. I could liquidate my weapons and armor in exchange for things in whatever game I want to play next.

I can just see it. Rare or special items in games tied to NFTs. I wouldn't put it past Blizzard or EA, but if Bungie ever does this with Matter I'll just die.

People handing out flyers promoting exactly what you're talking about. I'm surprised we haven't seen this stupidity spread more.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread