This saddens me (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Friday, September 17, 2021, 09:59 (943 days ago) @ Robot Chickens

The initial agreement required that Marty turn over those assets and he clearly didn't. That's on him. If he hadn't been selling these on band camp, it may be slightly more gray, but he brazenly used these assets for profit.

On the other hand, it's a bit hard at this point to see the economic/intellectual property damage as significant on this issue. Bungie is largely giving away the music for free by hosting it on youtube and the official releases probably aren't impacted by his actions. The parts of the music that were going to be used in the composition of game tracks has pretty much already been incorporated, so... what's the big deal.

As a person who composes music occasionally, I can understand how hard it would be to mentally separate a final product from a work in progress and not want to retain some sense if ownership over the pieces that never were officially used. Ideas come and go through life and parts get used and parts get cut and it would be tempting to say "this published part is theirs, while this unpublished part is mine. After all, it's been in my head for 10 years and I just got around to using portions." I know that's not how the law treats it, but that's where my sympathies lead me.

I wish that, legal fees aside, they would all just let this go, move on and live their lives.

The courts determined he partly culpable in the prior court case and this was one of the stipulations of how it resolved. To argue that it should just be let go is to say that one is not beholden to the conditions imposed for their wrongdoings.

I get it. In a strictly legal sense, this is cut and dry. I just wish there were other mechanisms in their lives with which to resolve these disputes- especially considering that the damage is largely done and I'm not sure how this adds anything to the lives of either party going forward.

There's plenty of evidence that this is and was always personal. It takes two egos to tango.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread