Destiny Machinima - this is pretty interesting (Destiny)

by Claude Errera @, Saturday, January 22, 2022, 16:29 (979 days ago)

https://www.reddit.com/r/DestinyTheGame/comments/sa63uy/ive_spent_6_years_making_a_destiny_show/

They did a great job reproducing the beginning of Destiny 1 - there's a disclaimer at the beginning that says this is "not true gameplay"... but I don't know what that means. (There's a 'behind the scenes' video as well... but it didn't answer most of the questions I had.)

Regardless, they did a good job of reminding me what it was like to get started with Destiny, way back when. Go give it a watch!

Wow!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, January 22, 2022, 16:46 (979 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I'm five minutes in and I'm already struck by how superior the opening sequence is to the actual game. Character dialogue was minimal originally, possibly justified by some rationale that the guardian was Master-Chief-esque, and should be a blank slate as much as possible (I'm sure it wasn't a priority during the trouble development either). You can see with this, however, just how much allowing for real dialogue in-game led to much more natural exposition and world-building than in the original.

Wow!

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, January 22, 2022, 17:10 (979 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by cheapLEY, Saturday, January 22, 2022, 17:17

A lesson Bungie still hasn’t learned.

The story of Destiny happens to us, but we don’t participate in it. It’s always bummed me out. Master Chief has 100 times the characterization, motivation, and agency of our Guardians.

Edit: Watching this now—it’s good. I wish Destiny still captured the sense of wonder present in this episode.

Destiny Machinima - this is pretty interesting

by cheapLEY @, Saturday, January 22, 2022, 17:36 (979 days ago) @ Claude Errera

I’m not sure what’s confusing. It seems pretty straightforward.

I think saying it’s not “true gameplay” just means it’s not a let’s play. It’s edited footage (both in terms of the voice acting and writing, and the screen overlay effects that show up later). And that it’s presenting an original story (or at least a personalized one, following this character), rather than just recording a straight gameplay session.

Pretty awesome!

by narcogen ⌂ @, Andover, Massachusetts, Wednesday, January 26, 2022, 06:59 (975 days ago) @ Claude Errera

That is pretty awesome. Look forward to watching the rest of this.

On the downside, the way Destiny functions I think almost creates a need, or at least a desire, for this sort of content.

D1 at least let you repeat story content. D2 practically does. Replaying the beginning like this essentially requires creating a new character in D1, and in D2 is... currently not possible since that portion of the game is literally no longer present.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread