SkillUp’s Witch Queen review (Destiny)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, March 29, 2022, 08:35 (731 days ago) @ squidnh3
edited by Kermit, Tuesday, March 29, 2022, 08:39

I was actually curious and looked up the numbers. At least on PC, the number of players spikes with an expansion, then levels off and basically stays put. It seems like there in fact are a lot of regular players who stick around and do play constantly. It's kind of remarkable actually, given the quickly moving landscape of gaming and entertainment in general today.

It's just a good, fun, hobby that I play with a solid group of people on a regular basis. The amount of work I'd have to do to cover all the itches that Destiny scratches for me (that sounds weirder than intended) is gargantuan, so why bother?

This. And Skillup's review gave me an epiphany. My friend Prof Ozy and I have played video games together for a very long time (starting with Robosport, the only game I consistently won against him). He currently likes games I don't really like (e.g., Ghost Recon), and we've been struggling to find something we both want to play (while I'm struggling to find time to keep with Destiny alone). He's played Destiny off and on, but gets bogged down with it and loses interest as a mainly solo player.

Bounty hunting and the lower level playlists are something we can play together because basically he just likes to shoot stuff. He doesn't have to have kept up to join in, and I think that's part of what Bungie is doing. They're basically saying, walk-ins welcome. I'm not saying that criticism from Datto and the like are unwarranted, but Bungie is walking a tightrope here between keeping the game accessible to casual players and interesting to the hardcore. It's a challenge, I'm sure.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread