Praise for CD PROJEKT RED. (Gaming)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Tuesday, December 06, 2022, 20:17 (478 days ago)

With the exception of the whole debacle with Cyberpunk 2077, CD PROJEKT RED has had a pretty solid reputation for being very trustworthy and an all-around cool developer. One of the few, if I may so. And with a recent announcement, they did something that this ol' modder finds so cool that I just wanted to make a post proclaiming how cool it is. A happening which comes about all too few, I think.

So first things first... you may have heard of a game they made called "The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt". Average 90 on Metacritic, plenty of rave reviews, a TV show (which may have green lit because of the game), and a console generation later, and CD PROJEKT RED decides they want to give their biggest(?) success some extra love with a next gen update.

Oh, and did I mention that it's free for anyone who already owns the game? And, while this should not be cool, it should be standard, but HEY let's not get too far off track...

(They are also launching an "the Complete Edition" version of the game which brings together the base game, its two expansions, and everything included with the next-gen update, so it's not like it's all for giggles, but frankly that just seems fine to me.)

...which brings me to the praise. In their forum post, talking about the impacts of this update, they state that since it's been...

6 years (or 4 if counting since 1.32) since the last PC update, and it's a long time to get used to one's favorite mods. And we want this transition to be as smooth as possible.

So CD PROJEKT RED went and took the time to TEST some of their community mods to see what would work and what would not (which turned out to be a lot of them). And that is AMAZING! They didn't need to do that, but they did, and THAT IS AWESOME! Of the 71 mods they tested, 20.5 of them worked. The largest error was due to scripting, which honestly isn't too surprising.

OH BUT WAIT THERE IS MORE!

Our team of modding experts led by Bence will provide help and advice to modders on forums post-release when possible.

So if the modders whose mods became broken from this "Next-Gen update" want to fix their mods so it will work in this latest version, CD PROJEKT RED is offering... DIRECTLY POINTING OUT, someone whom they can contact on their forum for assistance.

AND. I JUST, CAN'T! IT'S. SO. WHOLESOME! ...don't do this to me CD PROJEKT RED. DON'T YOU GIVE ME HOPE! D: ...er, something, anyway, one more thing.

...including several popular mods in the update (they’ll be available depending on the platform). We obtained permissions from their creators, reimbursed them, and they’ll be featured in the credits of the updated game. The mods were reworked and assets optimised as needed, and the game adjusted to run with them. There was even a case when a dev got so engrossed in tinkering when including a mod that he ended up simply remaking that particular aspect of the game. So, in a way, the game comes with some mods already included.

THEY added some mods to the game, you know, the IP that they own and can do whatever with, and they did it by F*N ASKING permission AND PAID (...see "reimbursed") THEM!!! AND GAVE CREDIT! AAAAAAAA! 

It's strange that something so simple should be so unusual, but... here we are, and here's what CD Projekt Red apparently did, and it's awesome! It derserves Praise. Praise that is so far too few, so rarely seen on the web. It's so awesome to see a Developer so obviously love what they do. To see so blatantly that they play their game, and care about their fans. And so, to conclude, as we are a Bungie Fan Site after all, I'm just going to leave this random image I found just laying around on the internet. Cheers folks! ;D

[image]

(lol. I just couldn't resist. I just had to add a dig in somewhere. <3 lol.)

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread