New Comic *OT* (Off-Topic)

by Leviathan ⌂, Hotel Zanzibar, Wednesday, May 03, 2023, 11:23 (331 days ago)

Hey folks! Hope you are doing well in these strange times and I hope you don't mind me plugging my new comic here that I'm trying to Kickstart. The amount of support I received for A Fistful of Arrows is still the highlight of my little comics career, and I'm still fighting to make more comics like it.

I had already stepped back from DBO and the internet as a whole in the years leading up to it, but in 2018 I had to reboot myself into a very different life. Suddenly working multiple jobs meant pausing my personal art and my comic, Mayflower. I eventually worked up to getting one full-time graphic designer job in my city's library right before the pandemic, which I was very proud of, but as the pandemic played out, that life didn't last. I've been jumping around the country, working different jobs and trying to stabilize again, and out of all that personal change, and the world's changes of 2020, this comic was formed.

[image]

ReMaster Monk Kickstarter

I still plan to finish Mayflower, but, much to my own surprise, it's now been 5 years since I've put out a comic (and somehow over a decade since Fistful) and so much has changed that I had to do something completely different to find my way back into the comics medium. During the lockdowns, I kept yearning for 90's video games and my nostalgic "happy place" started to look like a pixelated world map from a Playstation 1 game. While I watched paradigm shifts happen in the news, I imagined what it would be like if the characters of those classic games were aware of their world being remastered for new consoles, and that seed took root and inspired this comic.

It's not very Halo or Destiny, but I think any folk who grew up in the 80's and 90's, especially folks who love retro games and classic manga and anime, will dig the colorful style of ReMaster Monk, and you might find it interesting how I married the idea of remastering the past to psychological transformations on a global scale - an idea that often can only be expressed in absurd comedy.

[image]

Anything you can pledge or any way you can spread the word would be a big help!

Also, ON TOPIC - I actually got some Destiny in for like the first time in half a decade! I had no idea what was going on in the story or how any of the new mechanics worked, but it was a fun game to help bridge a long-distance relationship for a couple of months!

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread