Apple Gaming (Gaming)

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, June 07, 2023, 08:17 (323 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'd watch Avatar with it. I've heard one writer say it was better than in the theater. I like going to the movies socially, though, so I'm not a fan of tech that is potentially contributing to our isolation from other people.

Big reason why it won't catch on widely IMO.

Smartphones are everywhere because there is no barrier. You take it out of your pocket, and in 5 seconds you are texting someone. Then 5 seconds later you can put it away and go back to hanging with people. It connects you, but in real life situations you can disconnect easily and quickly.

Fair enough, but Apple is pointing a way to it not being a barrier. I'm not saying it's where it needs to be, but when/if it gets to the point where it's like a pair glasses, it won't be a barrier.

Putting on the headset, booting it up, and adjusting it is a commit. You're only doing it by yourself.

Not totally true. May be no more onerous than putting on a hat that is sized for you. And you won't be by yourself, depending on how rich your friends are. :) In all seriousness, what impresses me is the extent they've gone to ameliorate isolation. I'm a tough sell, though. I'd prefer that people leave their phones behind when socializing IRL.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread