RIP Bungie (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, August 03, 2024, 12:08 (48 days ago)
edited by Cody Miller, Saturday, August 03, 2024, 12:42

https://www.forbes.com/sites/paultassi/2024/08/03/further-clarity-on-destiny-2-frontiers-destiny-3-and-the-state-of-b...

Bungie is essentially tied to GAAS games forever. Nothing single player. Matter was not a live service FPS so that was part of the reason it was axed.

A lot in there to be worried about. Destiny’s player base skewed too old, so they is what led to the expansion into other games and ideas. People worked their asses off to make Final Shape great because they were told it was make or break. Of course, Final Shape made it, but they still broke anyway. So nobody trusts leadership.

Now they are saying Marathon is make or break.

Gummy Bears is what’s going to Sony.

And yeah. Live service forever. I was sort of in denial before, but it’s official now. Bungie is dead to me.

Thank you everyone on H/DBO, and everyone at Bungie who made 1993-2018 great. It was a run longer than most.

If I was new here, this would read like Satire to me.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Saturday, August 03, 2024, 12:30 (48 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

bungie.isnotcanon.net

by Coaxkez, Saturday, August 03, 2024, 12:37 (48 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

- No text -

Satire requires a wink ;-)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, August 03, 2024, 12:38 (48 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

Seriously.

If it's true and it's Games as Service only from here on out then my interest has come to an end.

RIP Bungie

by Coaxkez, Saturday, August 03, 2024, 12:40 (48 days ago) @ Cody Miller

[image]

RIP Bungie

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Saturday, August 03, 2024, 19:44 (48 days ago) @ Cody Miller

People worked their asses off to make Final Shape great because they were told it was make or break. Of course, Final Shape made it, but they still broke anyway.

This what pissed me off the most. They laid off a bunch of people, but then even after Final Shape has a great launch, they go and lay off a bunch more. Screw this.

I'm ticked for different reasons.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, August 04, 2024, 14:35 (47 days ago) @ Cody Miller

The Final Shape is great. And I've had this hope that going forward, the game might have a long shelf life, that they might take content out of the vault, and I could experience what I've already paid for if I wanted. (My Titan hasn't done Beyond Light yet, and I'm reluctant to start because it's like owning a DVD that will self-destruct once you watch it. They fixed the problem once by letting you reacquire quests, but what are the odds that they'll add that back in?).

As if to add insult to injury, Halo Reach (my personal fave) now has graphical glitches in the MCC on Series X (and no custom armor if you run the 360 version in emulation). Who know when, if ever, 343 will address these things.

*^(&%&$*^&!

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, August 04, 2024, 14:58 (47 days ago) @ Kermit

My Titan hasn't done Beyond Light yet, and I'm reluctant to start because it's like owning a DVD that will self-destruct once you watch it.

This was actually a thing.

Yeah, I'd forgotten about that!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, August 05, 2024, 06:57 (46 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by uberfoop @, Seattle-ish, Sunday, August 04, 2024, 18:40 (47 days ago) @ Kermit

(and no custom armor if you run the 360 version in emulation)

That's not an emulation issue, it happens even on actual Xbox 360 hardware. If Reach has a connection to Xbox Live, it will only show customization if it can confirm info with the Reach servers. The Reach servers are gone, so this fails.

A straightforward way to get around this - not ideal, but straightforward - is running the game without an internet connection.

As if to add insult to injury, Halo Reach (my personal fave) now has graphical glitches in the MCC on Series X

Is it the recent checkerboarding thing?

Reach's MCC port was never visually perfect, but its problems have mostly been relaxed enough that you'd only notice them if you were familiar with the original game. But the images circulating right now are pretty bad.

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Sunday, August 04, 2024, 18:56 (47 days ago) @ uberfoop

As if to add insult to injury, Halo Reach (my personal fave) now has graphical glitches in the MCC on Series X

Reach's MCC port was never visually perfect, but its problems have mostly been relaxed enough that you'd only notice them if you were familiar with the original game. But the images circulating right now are pretty bad.

I haven't experienced any major graphical glitches in MCC in the past couple of years. The game runs very well for me, my only issues are occasional weirdness related to Steam/XBL interactions and voice chat. I suspect Kermit's issues are because the game can detect his apostasy re: Halo/Destiny and is assigning him penance.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, August 05, 2024, 06:45 (46 days ago) @ Schooly D

I haven't experienced any major graphical glitches in MCC in the past couple of years. The game runs very well for me, my only issues are occasional weirdness related to Steam/XBL interactions and voice chat. I suspect Kermit's issues are because the game can detect his apostasy re: Halo/Destiny and is assigning him penance.

Heh, that doesn't explain Snipe having them, too.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, August 05, 2024, 06:48 (46 days ago) @ uberfoop

That's not an emulation issue, it happens even on actual Xbox 360 hardware. If Reach has a connection to Xbox Live, it will only show customization if it can confirm info with the Reach servers. The Reach servers are gone, so this fails.

Ah, makes sense.

A straightforward way to get around this - not ideal, but straightforward - is running the game without an internet connection.

Thanks!

Yes.

They are bad.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, August 05, 2024, 12:51 (46 days ago) @ Kermit

Ah, makes sense.

Thanks!

Yes.

They are bad.

I looked this up, and it’s beyond bad. This isn’t just not looking the same as OG like they did with CE, this is ugly distracting flashing lights. I hear it only happens in 4K though. Another reason to stay in 1080p land!

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, August 05, 2024, 13:58 (46 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Ah, makes sense.

Thanks!

Yes.

They are bad.

I looked this up, and it’s beyond bad. This isn’t just not looking the same as OG like they did with CE, this is ugly distracting flashing lights. I hear it only happens in 4K though. Another reason to stay in 1080p land!

My problem is not the flashing lights.

https://www.reddit.com/r/halo/comments/1ebjitf/halo_reach_visual_glitch/

Turning off 4K didn't help.

I was able to follow uberfoop's advice, however, and see my armor on 360 emulation when I'm disconnected, so at least there's that.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, August 05, 2024, 14:13 (46 days ago) @ Kermit

Ah, makes sense.

Thanks!

Yes.

They are bad.

Checkmate 343

I submitted a ticket.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, August 05, 2024, 17:34 (46 days ago) @ Cody Miller

- No text -

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Friday, August 09, 2024, 08:18 (42 days ago) @ Kermit

What the hell is even that?

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Friday, August 09, 2024, 12:42 (42 days ago) @ stabbim

What the hell is even that?

Looks like some corruption, maybe some errant compression happening on some buffer or filter, not sure. Hard to say with a still image.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, August 12, 2024, 11:15 (39 days ago) @ INSANEdrive

It shifts as your POV moves. Sometimes it's a distorting semi-transparent checkerboard, like decorative walls made of glass bricks.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread