Dark History of Bungie ft Marty (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, August 17, 2024, 18:52 (34 days ago)
edited by Cody Miller, Saturday, August 17, 2024, 19:02

tl;dw

-Non Disparagement agreements: If you tell the truth and stick to facts it won’t be disparagement legally. So spill the beans.
-Macworld reveal was 25 years ago. A lot can happen in 25 years. Things change a lot.
-Act man is 30 now, so officially old as fuck
-Jason never minded being on camera when the stakes were lower. Deserves all the success he's had. Jason and Alex were a magic combo that complimented each other perfectly.
-Many older senior level people at Bungie who left were effectively fired. Leaving “wasn’t their first choice”. This includes Jamie, Paul, Marcus, Joe. Marty regrets not forcing Bungie to show their confidentiality agreements to the board for review before they were forced to sign them.
-Actman’s previous interview with Marty was used as evidence in the previous lawsuit against him.
-Negotiations to leave MS started in 2004. Profit sharing plan was initially why Bungie stayed with MS before they realized how shady it was. After MS revealed themselves, they decided to split.
-Pete was an MS employee in marketing. After Ed fries left, they were nervous since he was their protector. After Alex leaves, who runs the studio? Pete came in, made a great pitch and they felt’s he’d be a good liaison.
-Pete was involved in negotiations. Jason quit. Marcus quit. Pete threatened to quit if MS didn’t let them go. Now Bungie’s hand went from a flush to a pair. Went back to Marcus and Jason to convince them to stay. Both came back. Wanted to go to Pete, but the decision was not unanimous as several people doubted he was key to Bungie’s success. Decided Pete would be the guy to fall on the sword. Gone, not studio lead for Halo 3. MS then came back to negotiate for independence.
-Jason was burned out. Had to convince him that there was a post Halo future for Bungie.
-Jason started working on Destiny during Halo 3.
-Harold was overwhelmed as CEO. Marty had to take over as marketing director to take some off his plate.
-Marty was a bad marketing director.
-Harold suggested hiring Pete back as marketing director.
-When Harold was fired, Pete took his position.
-Blames Bungie’s poor decisions on people like Pete being trained in MS ways of thinking, and applying that to running Bungie.

Our path forward is clear

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Sunday, August 18, 2024, 09:05 (33 days ago) @ Cody Miller

We must get Marty, Jaime, Marcus and Jason to attend the next iteration of MAC TONITE Friday September 6 at 9PM Eastern. We are going to magick the next "Bungie" into existence by getting them into the same lobby and rekindling their dormant passions by doing what we used to love so long ago: losing at Halo.

My associates are already in the field tracking them down. If you want to see this happen reply to this post with one of the following subject lines:

• MARTY PLZ
  • JAIME PLZ
  • MARCUS PLZ
  • JASON PLZ

Remember in H3 when the Flood infected Truth? Call that prophet-sharing.

HARDY LEBEL PLZ

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, August 18, 2024, 09:32 (33 days ago) @ Schooly D

- No text -

JASON PLZ

by Yapok @, Sunday, August 18, 2024, 14:19 (33 days ago) @ Schooly D

- No text -

[*]NONE PLZ BCAUZ I CANT BE THERE

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, August 18, 2024, 20:12 (33 days ago) @ Schooly D

We must get Marty, Jaime, Marcus and Jason to attend the next iteration of MAC TONITE Friday September 6 at 9PM Eastern. We are going to magick the next "Bungie" into existence by getting them into the same lobby and rekindling their dormant passions by doing what we used to love so long ago: losing at Halo.

My associates are already in the field tracking them down. If you want to see this happen reply to this post with one of the following subject lines:

• MARTY PLZ
  • JAIME PLZ
  • MARCUS PLZ
  • JASON PLZ

Remember in H3 when the Flood infected Truth? Call that prophet-sharing.

Is this your book?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Sunday, August 18, 2024, 20:14 (33 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I started watching it but didn't finish yet. Marty seemed upfront about the subjective nature of the story. He came across as a honest narrator, as a result.

Is this your book?

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Monday, August 19, 2024, 08:01 (32 days ago) @ Kermit
edited by Cody Miller, Monday, August 19, 2024, 08:11

I started watching it but didn't finish yet. Marty seemed upfront about the subjective nature of the story. He came across as a honest narrator, as a result.

He is upfront because he can be. I’ve interviewed people who have a different opinion and recollection of events. I would generally say that the things Marty says tend to be accurate given the overall picture, but there are things he omits which are also true.

It’s been a little tough since Bungie’s story is still ongoing, and there is an unwillingness (probably rightly so) to discuss anything recent. It all seems bad news anyway, so I might just have to finish what I have and call it the 2/3 history of Bungie.

Is this your book?

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, August 19, 2024, 09:42 (32 days ago) @ Cody Miller

He is upfront because he can be. I’ve interviewed people who have a different opinion and recollection of events. I would generally say that the things Marty says tend to be accurate given the overall picture, but there are things he omits which are also true.

It’s been a little tough since Bungie’s story is still ongoing, and there is an unwillingness (probably rightly so) to discuss anything recent. It all seems bad news anyway, so I might just have to finish what I have and call it the 2/3 history of Bungie.

You're young. Odds are you'll outlast them. I'm not saying that to be negative. It's a relatively young industry, and I wouldn't predict that any game developer will be like the Ford Motor Co., although a few have a shot.

Re: Marty omissions. I don't attribute it to malice. We all rewrite history in our heads--not always consciously. It's part of how we remember what we do remember. We shape events into memorable stories.

Is this your book?

by Coaxkez, Monday, August 19, 2024, 17:04 (32 days ago) @ Cody Miller

He feels, frankly, genuinely open and personable but also fundamentally self-serving. I continue to feel that he is more interested in The Legacy of Marty than he is in The History of Bungie. I’m sure there are things he did during his time at Bungie that he is leaving out because they would make him look bad. Honestly, there were shades of that in one or two spots in this very interview.

Is this your book?

by Schooly D, TSD Gaming Condo, TX, Monday, August 19, 2024, 10:57 (32 days ago) @ Kermit

Possibly to avoid legal jeopardy, now or in the future. A couple of times he and the interviewer reference a previous appearance where Marty said something that got him in trouble.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread