Inevitable? (Destiny)

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Monday, August 19, 2024, 20:26 (32 days ago) @ Coaxkez

On the one hand, I’m as unhappy as the rest of you about the prospect of AI replacing human jobs and eroding the human element of game development.

On the other hand… I don’t know, it feels kind of inevitable? I’ve been waiting for the other shoe to drop on the whole AI question for years now. Maybe we’re finally seeing the beginnings of that.

Inevitable? No. Just the apathy, let's say. It's all preventable, but, well... here I go.

I've made mention a little to this in my chatter with Kerm, and so I now repeat it here for a wider audience... we live in an age of miracles. Issue is, the thing fueling, guiding the miracle is the imbecility of single-mindedness. A wrath of brilliance, all guided to a single bland Machiavellian point of "number go up", resulting into the modern "enshittification" ouroboros nazgûl that is modern tech. At least.

Every law of safety... and if I may include alongside, good sense... has been written in blood or pain more often then not. But unlike so much of history... this is different. The Great Stink! Great Mill Disaster! Triangle Shirtwaist Factory fire!

Through instinct of flesh, we know if something burns or stings, is bitter or stinks. But this stuff, "AI" as such is called in marketing, has multitudes in multitudes. Where before we had senses to guide us, we must now have knowledge and perhaps even philosophy to act in knowing the difference between miraculous boon and yet another damnation of our own making. That is far more a resource intensive task that.

Too few of us have the technical or futurist wherewithal to, in my observation of tech in the last 20 years, realize how heavily we are and have been, bleeding. Or bled, rather. Or worse... we just don't care, CAN'T care. And, as a result, we might catch the dragon by the tail and gain by it, but not enough (if any!) of us know what the tail looks like. And so we fill the gaps, both with dreams and nightmares. White hats and Black hats.

To me, we have history to guess with... which, well. Lawd of mercy.

But none of this was inevitable, it just fell to the cards that the odds and wills fell against our general favor. Plenty of folks (and please forgive the general tone) call this crap out, just no one who writes the rules which has allowed for this open season of suckers with power. The right person at the right place at the right time could have made all the difference.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread