Against all odds, Linkin Park is back. (Off-Topic)

by Coaxkez, Thursday, September 05, 2024, 14:28 (15 days ago)
edited by Coaxkez, Thursday, September 05, 2024, 15:00

New singer: Emily Armstrong (from Dead Sara).

New single: The Emptiness Machine.

New album: From Zero, out November 15th.

This is a hard left turn from Destiny and Bungie talk, I know... but I'm pretty excited about this.

No, it doesn't sound much like Hybrid Theory, but it's good, and it evokes everything that they were while also adding something completely new. I mean, it's not The Year 2000(TM) anymore, so you can't go full nu-metal if you want to be competitive in the market. They did the smart thing and went in a different direction.

They've done genre shifts before. It's just different this time because there's a new member on top of it.

Well... there you go. I don't know if anyone here actually gives a shit, but I do. Linkin Park was one of my first experiences being a part of an actual fan community (along with Halo), so it's pretty exciting to have them back. No one will ever replace Chester Bennington, but we've all had time to process his loss now and the band members are ready to move forward.

Against all odds, Linkin Park is back.

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Thursday, September 05, 2024, 14:59 (15 days ago) @ Coaxkez

Linkin Park was "just another one of those bands" that was popular when I was in Middle/High school. At the time, I couldn't care less; I was all about more geeky/nerdy stuff and didn't have much desire to listen to music of any kind, much less this type. But it was everywhere, a prevalent rhythm of the culture at the time.

Fast forward to today, and I've started playing the instrumental version of "Numb" at least once a week because of the nostalgic memories and feelings it brings back- A more innocent, exciting time in my life.

And somehow it just jives with Halo so dang well.

by Coaxkez, Thursday, September 05, 2024, 15:00 (15 days ago) @ CyberKN
edited by Coaxkez, Thursday, September 05, 2024, 15:06

They're about to play live on the stream if you have time to check it out. Very curious to hear how the new singer sounds on the old tracks.

New drummer, too. Colin Brittain replaces Rob Bourdon.

Oh, shit, it's live right now

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Thursday, September 05, 2024, 15:47 (15 days ago) @ Coaxkez

- No text -

And Fans Are NOT Happy.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Friday, September 06, 2024, 12:18 (14 days ago) @ Coaxkez

Oh...

by ZackDark @, Not behind you. NO! Don't look., Friday, September 06, 2024, 15:50 (14 days ago) @ Morpheus

- No text -

Her response.

by Coaxkez, Friday, September 06, 2024, 19:25 (14 days ago) @ ZackDark

[image]

My thoughts.

by Coaxkez, Friday, September 06, 2024, 19:33 (14 days ago) @ Coaxkez
edited by Coaxkez, Friday, September 06, 2024, 19:38

It’s important and relevant to be aware that we are talking about a second generation Scientologist here. Emily Armstrong was born into the church and is therefore tied to it by blood. I am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt because of what Scientology does to those who dare to leave it or speak out against it. Deserters are excommunicated and harassed aggressively. Dissenters face even harsher treatment.

Given the totality of the facts, it would be very risky for her to say anything against the church overtly in a public setting. For that reason, I do not feel that it is fair or realistic to expect that she will ever denounce Scientology outright. That would take a tremendous amount of bravery and sacrifice on her part. Everything I have read about her over the past 48 hours suggests that she is very likely not even a practicing Scientologist at all. She is openly queer, against sexual violence, and supportive of mental health awareness. None of these positions would be acceptable for an active Scientologist to hold.

I have no love for the CoS, but Armstrong’s position must be appreciated. I do think it was necessary for her to address the Masterson allegations, though, but she’s now done that to my satisfaction.

by breitzen @, Kansas, Thursday, September 19, 2024, 17:45 (1 day, 2 hours, 40 min. ago) @ Coaxkez

Hyped.

RIP Chester, you left us too soon.

I’m excited for the next chapter and what Emily will bring to the band.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread