My thoughts. (Off-Topic)

by Coaxkez, Friday, September 06, 2024, 19:33 (14 days ago) @ Coaxkez
edited by Coaxkez, Friday, September 06, 2024, 19:38

It’s important and relevant to be aware that we are talking about a second generation Scientologist here. Emily Armstrong was born into the church and is therefore tied to it by blood. I am willing to give her the benefit of the doubt because of what Scientology does to those who dare to leave it or speak out against it. Deserters are excommunicated and harassed aggressively. Dissenters face even harsher treatment.

Given the totality of the facts, it would be very risky for her to say anything against the church overtly in a public setting. For that reason, I do not feel that it is fair or realistic to expect that she will ever denounce Scientology outright. That would take a tremendous amount of bravery and sacrifice on her part. Everything I have read about her over the past 48 hours suggests that she is very likely not even a practicing Scientologist at all. She is openly queer, against sexual violence, and supportive of mental health awareness. None of these positions would be acceptable for an active Scientologist to hold.

I have no love for the CoS, but Armstrong’s position must be appreciated. I do think it was necessary for her to address the Masterson allegations, though, but she’s now done that to my satisfaction.

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread