Ten Years (Destiny)

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, September 08, 2024, 12:48 (12 days ago)

Destiny was released 10 years ago.

I still remember the mystery and excitement. The disappointment. The new excitement after the raid dropped. The crucible. The lighthouse runs with all the playstation folks here. Flawless raider. Finally getting Hawkmoon. King's Fall blind. Destroyo dropping as we rung the bells. Leaving the shanks alive that killed Speedracer. The grind for Redrix's Claymore.

These moments were what they were because of you all here on DBO. I could not have asked for a better group to play with.

Ten Years

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Sunday, September 08, 2024, 13:35 (12 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Same to you, D_P_Roberts.

I gotta get a D1 Vault FTB event going to celebrate...

Ten Years

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, September 14, 2024, 11:15 (6 days ago) @ CyberKN

I gotta get a D1 Vault FTB event going to celebrate...

We need at least one more! Come on people. Don't you want to be there when I play Destiny for the first time in 6 years?!

yes

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, September 14, 2024, 11:54 (6 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I do, and will recruit a sixth if invited.

yes

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Saturday, September 14, 2024, 12:17 (6 days ago) @ Kermit

I do, and will recruit a sixth if invited.

Something came up. So… you'll have to find that sixth to be a fifth.

yes

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Saturday, September 14, 2024, 13:34 (6 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Ah, that's sad. Maybe another day.

Rain check

by CyberKN ⌂ @, Oh no, Destiny 2 is bad, Saturday, September 14, 2024, 15:14 (6 days ago) @ CyberKN

Can’t make it today after all :c

Still sad

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Sunday, September 08, 2024, 17:42 (12 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Destiny was released 10 years ago.

I still remember the mystery and excitement. The disappointment. The new excitement after the raid dropped. The crucible. The lighthouse runs with all the playstation folks here. Flawless raider. Finally getting Hawkmoon. King's Fall blind. Destroyo dropping as we rung the bells. Leaving the shanks alive that killed Speedracer. The grind for Redrix's Claymore.

These moments were what they were because of you all here on DBO. I could not have asked for a better group to play with.

That we were split between XBox and PS pre-crossplay

Ten Years

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Monday, September 09, 2024, 15:51 (11 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Not that it's something to be proud of, but I still live in the past.

Just found a new group that plays D1 all the time, too. (too bad it's 95% Playstation, but still I can get a strike or two in)

Ten Years

by squidnh3, Tuesday, September 10, 2024, 10:26 (10 days ago) @ Cody Miller

Pretty amazing that it's been 10 years. When I started playing Destiny, I had just got my PhD, I didn't have a job, and was living in my parents' basement. For the first month or two I mostly played Crucible, then I eventually decided I needed to play this game with other people like it was intended. I joined Kermit's Tuesday night Co-ops, slowly got to know some members of the community better, did my first VoG raid, and then was able to join a Crota's End blind raid team. With Fireteam Builder I was able to join more and more raids, eventually somehow ending up as part of Chappy's Wednesday night raid group. I also was able to find fun groups to play Crucible with, enjoying wonderful Trials success (and plenty of brutal failure). Over the years I played a lot of Destiny - sometimes too much, but the best times were the times struggling with friends, and the true rush of success against the odds.

I just got married over the weekend, and was ecstatic to host three of my "Destiny friends", two of whom I got to meet in person for the very first time. They were Kermit, unoudid (and his wife), and ChrisTheeCrappy, all of whom have been instrumental in the best times I've had in Destiny. They even got a special shout out by the father of the bride! We'll have some pictures to post soon.

So now, 10 years later, things are going pretty well, I'll be celebrating 10 years at my job at the end of the month, my wife and I have a nice house, and I've gone on thousands of rollercoaster rides over the past decade. Who would have guessed how many wars with the Cabal on Mars I've stepped into with friends who I only knew by voice during that same period?

Ten Years

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Tuesday, September 10, 2024, 14:58 (10 days ago) @ squidnh3

Pretty amazing that it's been 10 years. When I started playing Destiny, I had just got my PhD, I didn't have a job, and was living in my parents' basement. For the first month or two I mostly played Crucible, then I eventually decided I needed to play this game with other people like it was intended. I joined Kermit's Tuesday night Co-ops, slowly got to know some members of the community better, did my first VoG raid, and then was able to join a Crota's End blind raid team. With Fireteam Builder I was able to join more and more raids, eventually somehow ending up as part of Chappy's Wednesday night raid group. I also was able to find fun groups to play Crucible with, enjoying wonderful Trials success (and plenty of brutal failure). Over the years I played a lot of Destiny - sometimes too much, but the best times were the times struggling with friends, and the true rush of success against the odds.

I just got married over the weekend, and was ecstatic to host three of my "Destiny friends", two of whom I got to meet in person for the very first time. They were Kermit, unoudid (and his wife), and ChrisTheeCrappy, all of whom have been instrumental in the best times I've had in Destiny. They even got a special shout out by the father of the bride! We'll have some pictures to post soon.

So now, 10 years later, things are going pretty well, I'll be celebrating 10 years at my job at the end of the month, my wife and I have a nice house, and I've gone on thousands of rollercoaster rides over the past decade. Who would have guessed how many wars with the Cabal on Mars I've stepped into with friends who I only knew by voice during that same period?

My involvement with Bungie and this community the last ten years has been a roller coaster ride in itself, and acquiring friends like squid and experiences like I had this past weekend have definitely been peaks! So good to spend time with him and his family and friends, his wonderful wife, the unbelievably kind Mr. & Ms. unoudid (who chauffeured me all over the place, fixed my collars--brought me drinks!), and the amazing dance machine who is ChrisTheeCrappy.

I was also excited to add to my IRL bungie.org trophy case the one and only SNIPE 316, which was a pleasure. I'd describe him but I'd have to kill you.

The trip was bookended by hangouts with Funkmon. Conversations with Funkmon could be a podcast--I'll just say that. Tailgating in a bank parking lot, drinking apple cider and eating mini-doughnuts with Funk and his girlfriend is a memory I'll keep.

Cheers!

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, September 12, 2024, 17:38 (8 days ago) @ squidnh3

I guess you won't need my help anymore mastering nightmares. ;D

I raise my cup to you. May your years be blessed!!

Ten Years.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Thursday, September 12, 2024, 17:35 (8 days ago) @ Cody Miller

I'm bookmarking this post. I've not written this yet but I already know ... ...

-

I hope I made the right mistakes. <3

I hope I made the right mistakes, not because I doubt my choice.

Because I knew my choice. Because Dead upon dead and love for which I fertilize, grow.

Because I knew my choice. Because No money can choose what which will never, show.

I chose for flowers and risk of my flesh for bless me now, a yet unknown future. A dead man walks, yet breathing a continuously delayed life, balanced both in choice and without choices.

I chose my decay. My wilt. My choice inward a gross avarice.

For never to be loved is a living death.

But to be so greatly loved? You will gladly... die.

~INSANEdrive

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread