TLOU Season 2 (Fan Creations)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Saturday, October 05, 2024, 11:49 (18 days ago) @ Cody Miller
edited by Korny, Saturday, October 05, 2024, 11:53

I feel like the lows will be higher, but the highs will be lower compared to the first season.

Finally saw the trailer last night.

On the one hand, I'm kind of worried about Part 2 being cut up into multiple seasons instead of one really long one, given the very specific way the split narrative works in the game as a storytelling tool (I'm on the side of "three days Ellie, then three days Abby" being the better way to deliver that story). I'm not sure to what degree they're going to do the same here, given how many WLF/Abby-focused shots are in the trailer, but having just seven episodes to find a good midway point to the story is going to be a tough task, but I do like that they brought Halley Gross in to help.
The shot of Joel from the end of the game made it into the trailer, which is kind of weird to include in the show, as the scene kind of spoils why Ellie gets so set off, and what ultimately pulls her back, if they don't save it for the way the game uses it as closure.

On the other hand, everything looks fantastic. Color grading, composition, sets, setpieces from the game, it all looks like they're going to nail the translation from game to show again. And I know they did "the thing" again where key casting choices are unexpected, but Ramsey, Offerman, and especially Nico Parker pulled it off last season, so I know better than to nitpick on that front (Borderlands movie, this ain't).
And I'm really glad that they're not squeezing the game into a single season like they did with the first. The pacing was my biggest complaint about Season 1 (Dedicating five episodes to Summer, and only one each to Fall and Winter? Criminal!), so it's a relief that they're taking their time with this part (and their wording heavily implies that there is a Part 3 game in the works, which is nice).

Final thoughts:

Given how they dedicated almost a full episode of runtime to Kathleen in Season 1, I'm hoping they do the same for Tommy in Part 2. While I enjoyed the "hero of another story" aspect when playing as Ellie and hearing about (and seeing the aftermath of) the WLF struggling against Tommy's rage, I think the show has a great opportunity to follow his hunt and mental state. That shot of him and Maria makes me wish she would pull an Uncharted 4 Elena move, but that's going into AU/fanfic territory... Man, I love Uncharted 4...

Complete thread:

RSS Feed of thread