RIP 343 Industries. (Destiny)

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, October 06, 2024, 16:32 (17 days ago)
edited by Korny, Sunday, October 06, 2024, 16:38

Hello Halo Studios!

Pierre gives me quite a bit of hope, given his track record with MCC, and the proper rebrand really emphasizes how much they don't want the 343 "stink" to follow them forward (though that likely means -once again- abandoning the storyline they were on).

From the looks of it, a Halo 1 reimagining looks likely, though it could be argued that it’s just concepts made using Unreal. But I think given how a jump backward is doing wonders for The Coalition with Gears, this might be the best option for Halo Studios to flesh out their talent with familiar ground and assets (as they state in the video).

RIP 343 Industries.

by cheapLEY @, Sunday, October 06, 2024, 16:49 (17 days ago) @ Korny
edited by cheapLEY, Sunday, October 06, 2024, 16:54

(though that likely means -once again- abandoning the storyline they were on).

What storyline is that again? Halo Infinite’s campaign was like 10 hours of absolutely nothing happening. Honestly, I don’t remember anything about it at this point it was so boring.

Wild that Halo 5’s campaign is a masterpiece in comparison.

That said, what they showed looks cool, and despite how hit or miss 343 was, a new Halo game never failed to be exciting to me.

RIP 343 Industries.

by Korny @, Dalton, Ga. US. Earth, Sol System, Sunday, October 06, 2024, 17:47 (17 days ago) @ cheapLEY

(though that likely means -once again- abandoning the storyline they were on).

What storyline is that again? Halo Infinite’s campaign was like 10 hours of absolutely nothing happening. Honestly, I don’t remember anything about it at this point it was so boring.

They introduced The Endless, an even bigger bad so bad that the last bad wasn’t nearly as bad by comparison… or so they say. In reality, we saw one, it spoke perfect English, disappeared for 99% of the game, then it showed up again and died to conventional weapons fire just fine. I assume it was trying to fire the Halo ring since it’s apparently immune to the blast for some reason?

And this is besides them abandoning the whole Cortana storyline, and the Didact storyline, and the Majestic storyline, and the Atriox storyline (though he’s still alive!), and whatever the Arbiter or Halsey were up to…

I dunno. The 343i experiment sure was a weird one with so many “almost there” games, but nothing ever getting anywhere before a hard course correction.
Even the TV series didn’t seem to stick to any one thing, from what I hear.

Well, here’s hoping this is the last time they reshuffle the story prompt deck.

RIP 343 Industries.

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, October 06, 2024, 23:09 (17 days ago) @ cheapLEY

Wild that Halo 5’s campaign is a masterpiece in comparison.

Nah. Infinite's story was just kind of dull with unknown stakes or things to care about. I'll take that over the absolute mess of Proper Nouns and bullshit that Halo 5 was spewing out the screen.

RIP 343 Industries.

by Morpheus @, High Charity, Sunday, October 06, 2024, 17:51 (17 days ago) @ Korny

Yeah, I happened to see that video on my walk. The assets look good; I bet a lot of people are happy to see Flood material again. The team is speaking with enthusiasm, but sadly I've heard that before.

But I'm just going to keep my mouth shut until I see an E3 trai—oh. Damn.
Time just sweeps us away...

Well...I'm going to wait until I see something more concrete. Although, this makes me curious—with them switching to Unreal, will that make the next Halo game(s) "open source", so to speak? I mean, they're bound to have anti-cheat systems in place, but other than that, UE is one of the most widely available software programs on the planet. Hell, TECHNICALLY I have a copy of Unreal Engine 5. I wonder what that means going forward.

Modding will be easier, if allowed.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, October 06, 2024, 18:26 (17 days ago) @ Morpheus

- No text -

Side Note: Playable (PC only?) H2 "E3" Demo out soon.

by INSANEdrive, ಥ_ಥ | f(ಠ‿↼)z | ᕕ( ᐛ )ᕗ| ¯\_(ツ)_/¯, Sunday, October 06, 2024, 18:35 (17 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

THEY KEEP FORGETTING TO CUT THE SLATES

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Sunday, October 06, 2024, 23:08 (17 days ago) @ Korny

- No text -

Ssh...

by Coaxkez, Monday, October 07, 2024, 09:06 (16 days ago) @ Cody Miller

They don't actually know what slates are for. They just saw them in another studio's vidoc once.

Ssh...

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, October 09, 2024, 00:15 (15 days ago) @ Coaxkez

They don't actually know what slates are for. They just saw them in another studio's vidoc once.

You don't even need them… these digital cameras have a little thing called XLR in. Get this - you can connect your mics right into the camera, and it will record the audio too! All in the same file so there's no syncing later!

For interviews like this where all the mics are within cable distance of the camera, which isn't really moving, you can save a ton of time!

Cautious optimism.

by Coaxkez, Monday, October 07, 2024, 08:38 (16 days ago) @ Korny
edited by Coaxkez, Monday, October 07, 2024, 08:43

It looks great, but I'll wait to see how it plays before I get excited.

Infinite was already the "last chance" for Halo in my book, and it failed to deliver, so the franchise is dead to me. They're all out of chances. It's a cold re-start and nothing short of an absolutely stellar public beta can get me on-board with the series again, at least pre-release.

The re-brand belies an internal awareness of the 343 stink, which is certainly promising, but does not necessarily indicate any awareness of the reasons for the 343 stink, which is far more important.

Side note: I have gotten to the point that I cannot stand this fluffy self-congratulatory style of vidoc. The company talks a big game about how great the future looks, but fails to actually say anything of substance. It's just a big waste of everybody's time. How about you quit jerking yourselves off and come back when you have something substantive to tell us?

It feels almost like watching a cult indoctrination video and I actually get second-hand embarrassment if I have it on while someone else is in the room with me.

Deja Vu

by Cody Miller @, Music of the Spheres - Never Forgot, Wednesday, October 09, 2024, 00:01 (15 days ago) @ Coaxkez

[image]

RIP 343 Industries.

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Monday, October 07, 2024, 23:02 (16 days ago) @ Korny

Hello Halo Studios!

Pierre gives me quite a bit of hope, given his track record with MCC, and the proper rebrand really emphasizes how much they don't want the 343 "stink" to follow them forward (though that likely means -once again- abandoning the storyline they were on).

From the looks of it, a Halo 1 reimagining looks likely, though it could be argued that it’s just concepts made using Unreal. But I think given how a jump backward is doing wonders for The Coalition with Gears, this might be the best option for Halo Studios to flesh out their talent with familiar ground and assets (as they state in the video).

I don't know why, but with 343 I always had this feeling that they were trying too hard, that they cared too much about whether we liked them, and the weight of expectations was a burden they were afraid they couldn't lift. That bit of fear was understandable. It WAS a burden to take over one the most popular franchises in gaming history. With all due respect to friends who worked there, the presentations could come off as stagey, and the enthusiasm a little forced. Frankly, that same "one more time with feeling" vibe has made its way into Bungie vids, too.

For whatever reason, I didn't detect any of that in this. It seemed simple. Someone had an idea that excited them, and they acted on it. I don't know what they're doing, but I think they really want to do it. Here's hoping that makes all the difference, because it certainly can.

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread