Saw this on youtube - disturbing but, ultimately, funny (Off-Topic)

by scarab @, Tuesday, December 10, 2013, 06:42 (3850 days ago)

Was listening to Cindi Lauper's Girls Just Want to Have Fun and saw this in the comments... surreal

RangerOfAlcyone 5 days ago

Nobody is going into every Black country and telling Blacks that they don't really exist, and therefore should all accept becoming guinea pigs for chimerical breeding experiments breeding them with non-Blacks. 'Anti-Racists' only do this to White people in White countries. This is genocide by assimilation. Stop White GeNOcide! 'Anti-Racist' is a code word for Anti-White!

View all 11 replies
Pansy Parkinson 2 days ago

the fuck? i don't know how to reply to this...

Chuck Grape 20 hours ago

Those girls sure know how to have fun

Really?

by Grizzlei ⌂ @, Pacific Cloud Zone, Earth, Tuesday, December 10, 2013, 07:04 (3850 days ago) @ scarab

[image]

Same sort of nutters who believe there are wars brewing against straight and cisgender people, masculine identities, and Christmas. Just ignore their dumbasses and keep listening to awesome music.

I tried to forment a war against the BBC

by scarab @, Tuesday, December 10, 2013, 07:44 (3850 days ago) @ Grizzlei

It was a moral stance based on the unfairness of the license fee. I refused to answer all their letters that asked me if I had a TV license. I figured that all the postage costs would bleed them white.

But then they brought back Dr Who and now I'm conflicted... And my partner has a TV license so I'm scuppered. It's so hard to be a revolutionary these days :-(

PS - for the non-brits - there is a British law that lets the BBC tax everybody who is capable of receiving or recording a broadcast television signal even if they don't actually watch the BBC. You just need to be theoretically capable of watching or recording their stuff. It's like the new York Times being able to tax all Americans who can read or have eyes that work.

PPS - OMG I'm off-topicing a Destiny forum with an Anti-BBC rant. Maybe I should go and pester Cyndi Lauper with it ;-)

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, December 10, 2013, 08:01 (3850 days ago) @ scarab

But then they brought back Dr Who and now I'm conflicted... And my partner has a TV license so I'm scuppered. It's so hard to be a revolutionary these days :-(

They are finally learning that working with us is directly in their benefit.

Totally forgot to mention at the time but I saw Dr Who in 3D

by scarab @, Tuesday, December 10, 2013, 08:37 (3850 days ago) @ scarab

at the cinema. It was brilliant!

I was never happy about the whole Dr-killed-his-race thing - the Doctor always finds a way to save the day.

Oh and this was made around that time.

The music! The tears! Stahp!

by Chewbaccawakka @, The Great Green Pacific Northwest!, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 17:15 (3849 days ago) @ scarab

- No text -

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, December 10, 2013, 08:50 (3850 days ago) @ scarab

PS - for the non-brits - there is a British law that lets the BBC tax everybody who is capable of receiving or recording a broadcast television signal even if they don't actually watch the BBC. You just need to be theoretically capable of watching or recording their stuff. It's like the new York Times being able to tax all Americans who can read or have eyes that work.

Interesting. I watch a fair amount of UK TV and I do hear them mention the "license fee" occasionally. I always assumed everyone in the country paid it, but this sounds like they actually have to ask you whether you have a TV. Does anyone come around and check?

by scarab @, Tuesday, December 10, 2013, 09:10 (3850 days ago) @ stabbim

Interesting. I watch a fair amount of UK TV and I do hear them mention the "license fee" occasionally. I always assumed everyone in the country paid it, but this sounds like they actually have to ask you whether you have a TV. Does anyone come around and check?

Yes. I don't think that you HAVE to let them in but if you do and they find a telly then you could face a fine between £1000 and £2000 plus fees.

For years I had a TV and video recorder but the TV wasn't tuned in. I just played Halo and watched pre-recorded videos. (It was my no-broadcast-tv phase - pretty much the time when Dr Who was off the air - but that's probably a coincidence).

by Jillybean, Saturday, December 14, 2013, 13:47 (3846 days ago) @ scarab

That's not quite right - you can have a TV, just don't connect it to an aerial.

by Zeouterlimits, Ireland, Tuesday, December 10, 2013, 13:48 (3850 days ago) @ scarab
edited by Zeouterlimits, Tuesday, December 10, 2013, 13:51

Perhaps this is a case of the lesser of two evils, but we've a similar mandatory licence here in Ireland and I curdle milk in jealousy of the brilliant content the BBC fund.
Seriously, out of all the big broadcasts & networks, the BBC makes most of the tv content I love.

by kidtsunami @, Atlanta, GA, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 02:23 (3850 days ago) @ Zeouterlimits

Yeah, I pay it as well even though I don't actively watch Broadcast television. But I happily pay it knowing it's making more Sherlock.

This is baffling to me.

by kapowaz, Tuesday, December 10, 2013, 14:55 (3850 days ago) @ scarab

All the good the BBC does, I am happy paying a license even if I never watch TV. I find the reverse a difficult concept to wrap my head around, unless you literally don't watch any TV?

There was a time when I didn't watch any broadcast TV.

by scarab @, Tuesday, December 10, 2013, 22:58 (3850 days ago) @ kapowaz

It was bliss.

I hate

• the TV on as background noise
  • searching for something good on
  • complaining that there's nothing good on

I'd much rather

• have it off
  • play Halo
  • use computer or read book

My family would turn on the TV and stop talking. I saw TV as antisocial. But I've seen the opposite where it is put on very loud then everybody talks over it. And everybody seems to be monologuing - if there were five people in the room then you'd have four * separate verbal tracks and me thinking WTF?!? It can be quite stressful.

* 5 tracks if you include the telly.

There was a time when I saw everyone else as quite mad.

by scarab @, Tuesday, December 10, 2013, 23:08 (3850 days ago) @ scarab

I saw myself as an island of ignorance in a sea of insanity.

Then I had an epiphany: I realised that I was quite mad too.

There was a time when I didn't watch any broadcast TV.

by kapowaz, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 09:02 (3849 days ago) @ scarab

I hate

• the TV on as background noise
  • searching for something good on
  • complaining that there's nothing good on

I'd much rather

• have it off
  • play Halo
  • use computer or read book

My family would turn on the TV and stop talking. I saw TV as antisocial. But I've seen the opposite where it is put on very loud then everybody talks over it. And everybody seems to be monologuing - if there were five people in the room then you'd have four * separate verbal tracks and me thinking WTF?!? It can be quite stressful.

* 5 tracks if you include the telly.

I can't dispute any of these things - I barely watch broadcast TV any more, *but* I still value the BBC for:

* Education projects (stuff like GCSE revision guides, education films etc.)
* Co-funding many excellent cinema films from smaller firms that wouldn't ever get big studio funding
* Giving Murdoch at least *some* competition in the news market, and not rolling over. If you want a vision of what the UK would look like without the BBC just turn on Fox News

My point is simply that the value we all get from the BBC merely existing extends well beyond the direct benefits (subjective) of watching TV programs.

by Quirel, Tuesday, December 10, 2013, 20:28 (3850 days ago) @ scarab

That's just screwed up, even if I do like some of BBC's programming.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks so.

by scarab @, Tuesday, December 10, 2013, 23:02 (3850 days ago) @ Quirel

The Brits use David Attenborough as the excuse for it. Him and pensioners.

by kapowaz, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 09:10 (3849 days ago) @ Quirel

That's just screwed up, even if I do like some of BBC's programming.

If it literally *was* a tax, it'd put the BBC under massive political pressure to ensure its continued funding with each successive government, which may be more or less inclined to protect it from the free market: this is precisely what the Tories are trying to do anyway, although the license fee's rate is a little harder for them to directly influence. This would transform how they broadcast and lobby for continued funding in much the same way the US political system is skewed towards continued campaign finance instead of actual political process. In short: it'd be a disaster.

In actual fact, the license fee is non-payable if you're over 75, or don't watch or record BBC content *as it is broadcast* (i.e. Streaming on-demand is fine). This means lots of people can get away with not paying if they for e.g. only watch on-demand streams on an iPad, an increasingly common occurrence. I don't think characterising it as a draconian 'tax' is remotely accurate or fair, and in actual fact the BBC is the envy of nations the world over, all thanks to how the license fee is set up.

by scarab @, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 11:03 (3849 days ago) @ kapowaz

If your apparatus is CAPABLE of receiving or recording then you are liable and will be fined if you don't have a license. You don't have to be caught watching - they just need to prove that you could have watched. The wording on the law was: set up to receive or record broadcast tv signals.

I think iPlayer warns you if you try to watch something on the same day but, I think, that it's a dialog box with a don't-ask-me-again checkbox. Too bad for you if you let your license lapse and think that you are OK because it's safe to use iPlayer.

I bought something from PC World, I can't remember what it was but it wasn't a TV and the girl at the till wanted my address for the BBC. I raised a stink and the manager put his address on the form. It was probably a monitor with a built in TV tuner. I bought it as a monitor.

by kapowaz, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 13:05 (3849 days ago) @ scarab

If your apparatus is CAPABLE of receiving or recording then you are liable and will be fined if you don't have a license. You don't have to be caught watching - they just need to prove that you could have watched. The wording on the law was: set up to receive or record broadcast tv signals.

A few years back (okay, maybe 12 years back) I didn't own a TV and I played console videogames through a Hauppauge TV tuner card. The TV licensing people wrote to me, a very threatening-worded letter implying I was a ne'er do well and I would be fined. I rang them and said I didn't use it to watch/record TV (the truth; I had no aerial) and they kind of just went "Oh, ok then."

Times have probably changed though! Those were simpler times for sure.

Saw this on youtube - disturbing but, ultimately, funny

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Tuesday, December 10, 2013, 08:03 (3850 days ago) @ scarab

Chuck Grape 20 hours ago

Those girls sure know how to have fun

This made my day

by stabbim @, Des Moines, IA, USA, Tuesday, December 10, 2013, 08:51 (3850 days ago) @ scarab

What is this I don't even...?

by scarab @, Tuesday, December 10, 2013, 09:18 (3850 days ago) @ stabbim

Maybe he commented on the wrong video.

I don't know for sure but I bet this video has hidden Anti-Racist messages in it.

Or for all I know the poster wasn't serious and simply has the most dry, cutting humor that I've ever seen.

This is why I read DBO

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 05:47 (3849 days ago) @ scarab

Instead of YouTube comments. Why is this even posted here?

If u don't want to read off topic then don't read off topics

by scarab @, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 06:36 (3849 days ago) @ Kermit

When you hang out with a bunch of people then, sometimes, you just want to share with them.

If u don't want to read off topic then don't read off topics

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 07:17 (3849 days ago) @ scarab

Off topic doesn't mean any topic.

Are you the post police?

by scarab @, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 10:25 (3849 days ago) @ Kermit

- No text -

Let's not have a row! :)

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 10:28 (3849 days ago) @ scarab

If this is anything to go by: http://destiny.bungie.org/forum/index.php?id=14948 it's a brave new off-topic world out here in DBO land.

Now kiss and make up. *starts filming*

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 12:21 (3849 days ago) @ SonofMacPhisto

Sorry. I guess I'm behind the times. If off-topic now means political debates, which is what this thread devolved into, I'm out. I can find that EVERYWHERE else.

by SonofMacPhisto @, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 12:25 (3849 days ago) @ Kermit

Sorry. I guess I'm behind the times. If off-topic now means political debates, which is what this thread devolved into, I'm out. I can find that EVERYWHERE else.

Did it? I missed that. Yeah, I still think the no politics/religion thing is still kosher.

EDIT: Lol - I kinda found that interesting.

Kerm is the law

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 13:55 (3849 days ago) @ scarab

Respect his age,
He earned it with his blood,
Fear the ban,
Your sentence may be life because....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_pTRXboRhyI

Kerm is the law

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 14:38 (3849 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Heh, we need to play that when I arrive at the next LAN.

I wouldn't ban scarab even if I could. I guess it's the slippery slope aspect that worries me here. Someone posts a way-off-topic extreme opinion (that everyone finds offensive) about a potentially sensitive subject, and eventually someone else posts something they find just as offensive but about which not everyone agrees, and before you know it someone's calling you a racist for not liking the BBC license fee.

That's how the rest of the internet works. Bungie.org has been a respite from that kind of stuff, for the most part, not that we never get contentious.

Just call me cranky old dude.

You won't fuck around no more

by scarab @, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 14:40 (3849 days ago) @ MrPadraig08

Kerm is THE LAW!
He judges the rich, He judges the poor
Kerm is THE LAW!
Commit a crime, He'll lock the door
Kerm is THE LAW!
Because in Mega-City...
Kerm is THE LAW!

and just because... the sound track to Mike Miller's awesomeness...

You won't fuck around no more

by Kermit @, Raleigh, NC, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 14:48 (3849 days ago) @ scarab

I actually like that. :)

And I found the man himself on youtube :-)

by scarab @, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 14:58 (3849 days ago) @ Kermit

Man I can't wait for all the Breaking Ben Destiny montages

by MrPadraig08 ⌂ @, Steel City, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 21:06 (3849 days ago) @ scarab

- No text -

Heh...

by bluerunner @, Music City, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 18:50 (3849 days ago) @ scarab

I had a mustang with that same paint scheme, and I had this song on my playlist when I was tearing up the back roads, but I'd never seen that video until now.

You also missed out on the threesome.

by scarab @, Wednesday, December 11, 2013, 21:54 (3849 days ago) @ bluerunner

Or did you also have two hot girlfriends at the time?

Back to the forum index
RSS Feed of thread